Christmas Music, your thoughts?

Tools    

How about definitive versions?
Such as: everyone's done White Christmas, but most feel Bing Crosby's is the best & definitive version.

I'd add Perry Como's No Place Like Home for the Holidays
Sandra Dee's Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby
And of course Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song (one thing I'll give him credit for)!
Those are all greats! But I didn't know Gidget could sing You must've meant Brenda Lee...and yup I love that version. I have to say as much as I don't like Madonna she did do a really good cover of Santa Baby.

Those are all greats! But I didn't know Gidget could sing You must've meant Brenda Lee...and yup I love that version. I have to say as much as I don't like Madonna she did do a really good cover of Santa Baby.
Good catch, CR!

This is actually a case of celebrities you mistake for other celebrities... I really always thought Sandra Dee (the actress who married Bobby Darrin) did this song and had a singing career! I totally confused her with Brenda Lee!

I think the movie Grease may have had something to do with my confusion.

How about definitive versions?
Such as: everyone's done White Christmas, but most feel Bing Crosby's is the best & definitive version.

I'd add Perry Como's No Place Like Home for the Holidays
Sandra Dee's Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree
Eartha Kitt's Santa Baby
And of course Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song (one thing I'll give him credit for)!
I like those too. As for Crosby, his saddest is 1943's I'll Be Home for Christmas (with that touching last line).

Another saddy, but goody, is Elvis Presley's 1957 version of Blue Christmas.

For those who do or do not enjoy Christmas music, I strongly recommend the documentary Jingle Bell Rocks, which is all about alternative Christmas music.

While the filmmaker centers it a bit too much on his own experiences, it's a really cool look at the range of Christmas music out there, and it introduced me to a new seasonal favorite, the deliciously low-key "Take the Long Way Around the Sea" by Low. (RIP Mimi Parker and her lovely voice).

More definitive versions:

Nat Cole's The Christmas Song
Jose Feliciano's Feliz Navidad (of course)
Lou Monte's Dominick the Donkey
Burl Ive's Holly Jolly Christmas
Vaughn Monroe's Let It Snow (for all you Die Hard fans!)
Thurl Ravenscroft's You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch
Johnny Mathis's Winter Wonderland
Andy Wiliams's Most Wonderful Time of the Year

More definitive versions (?)...

Jimmy Durante's Frosty the Snowman
Dean Martin's Baby It's Cold Outside
The Beach Boys's Little Saint Nick
The Kinks's Father Christmas
Bing Crosby's It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
Bobby Helms's Jingle Bell Rock
Lou Rawls's Merry Christmas Baby
Chuck Berry's Run Run Rudolph
Judy Garland's Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You
Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas

Like all your choices, but I prefer Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan singing Baby It's Cold Outside

I'll add one and this is a personal fav, Dean Martin's A Marshmallow World

Like all your choices, but I prefer Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Jordan singing Baby It's Cold Outside

Indeed. I thought Dean's version also had someone famous doing the female part, but now I see (or hear) it's only a group of background singers. So I'll concede that one!

I remember seeing a version of this song in a movie with Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams! (If that don't beat all - Khan and the Mermaid doing a duet!)

Anyone remember a few years back when some cancel culture group wanted to ban this song? (For being sexist or some such.)

Indeed. I thought Dean's version also had someone famous doing the female part, but now I see (or hear) it's only a group of background singers. So I'll concede that one!
You never go wrong with Deano, my favorite crooner and roast MC!

I remember seeing a version of this song in a movie with Ricardo Montalban and Esther Williams! (If that don't beat all - Khan and the Mermaid doing a duet!)
Neptune's Daughter I believe. I only know that because that movie came up not once, but twice today in a search. First I was looking for the name of a noir film starring Montalban and second just now as I couldn't remember who sang Baby It's Cold Outside way back in the day.
Anyone remember a few years back when some cancel culture group wanted to ban this song? (For being sexist or some such.)
No I don't remember that. But I will sing loudly...Uuuu....ghhhh!

Damn Skippy

I was a stocker at a grocery store when going to school to be an LMT, and they had...God I don't think I'm exaggerating, a 45 minute Christmas song loop. I learned to loathe all songs played except one, that one. It was like honey to a Bee, cold water to a parched man. Dean is the Kingo.

What irks me is that most radio stations will take the top 15 Christmas songs and play them over and over, but they almost always avoid playing traditional Christmas Carols. I suspect that they're afraid of offending non Christians. I love traditional Christmas Carols. To me those carols are representative of the Christmas season, not an attempt to push a religion.
That could be the case, but I suspect the biggest reason is they get more listeners/make more money from the other stuff than they would/do Christmas carols.

I don't mind the Christmas stuff too much, but then I'm not out amongst it, so I decide what's played and when and I don't listen to anything before the 1st Dec. I like Wonderful Christmas Time, but sometimes it can be too much, so I do get why some can't stand it. If I were ever to put together a list of my favourites, I'd include it.

I hate Christmas music. It used to be cute when there would be few Christmas tunes in the Charts, when physical media of these songs had to be bought. Now with streaming from mid November to mid January Charts are stuffed with the same songs across the world and every year. It's torture.
It’s appallingly dreadful especially in Dunkin Donuts. One can’t believe the crap they have on their tapes. I pity the poor staff.

Santa needs to buy you a coffee maker!
No need. We have one. Dunkin coffee is perfect & it’s a nice quick break in my morning to go there for coffee.

I'm ready to officially add Bruce Springsteen's Santa Claus is Coming to Town to Paul McCartney's Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time as songs I just can't stand anymore. Springsteen's version seems to have the refrain go on forever (even though it's probably no longer than other versions).

Dunkin seems to have put their “music” on mute. Even for Dunkin the banality of the music menu was unbearable.