Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I am finally getting around to watching Nolan's recent short film.

🤣

Now and again, you need a good disaster movie to readjust your attitude. Right now, it's Dante's Peak, a rarity among disaster movies since there's not a villain except for a big force-of-nature volcano. It's a little town in the northwest, inhabited by pretty folks like Pearce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton (plus a supporting cast of less pretty folks). All you need to know is that the volcano decides that this is the right millenium to erupt. There's running and screaming and lots of stuff being incinerated by lava bombs as well as lava streams. What's the lesson here? It's that, no matter how movie-world photogenic you are, volcanos really just don't care. They erupt on their own time scale and there's not much you can do except to just get the heck out of the area.

I am finally getting around to watching Nolan's recent short film.

Having read several long, scientific books on this, I do appreciate how this movie gets to the heart of the project. Oppenheimer is such an odd misfit of a character to have changed the world so much. I just wish they had given a bit more footage to another of the characters in the real world project, Leo Szilard. He was a geekier guy than Oppenheimer, and was a big part of the project, although he did not have that great, iconic hat.

Now and again, you need a good disaster movie to readjust your attitude. Right now, it's Dante's Peak, a rarity among disaster movies since there's not a villain except for a big force-of-nature volcano. It's a little town in the northwest, inhabited by pretty folks like Pearce Brosnan and Linda Hamilton (plus a supporting cast of less pretty folks). All you need to know is that the volcano decides that this is the right millenium to erupt. There's running and screaming and lots of stuff being incinerated by lava bombs as well as lava streams. What's the lesson here? It's that, no matter how movie-world photogenic you are, volcanos really just don't care. They erupt on their own time scale and there's not much you can do except to just get the heck out of the area.

I do have a weakness for this one, too. Ruined mountains for me.

Tonight I plan to watch 2001: A Space Odyssey. A little while ago I set myself the challenge to watch every film directed by Kubrick in release order. Of course, I had seen many of his films already, as is the case for 2001, but when I started the challenge many of his earlier films were a first watch for me and I have still yet to watch Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut for the first time. It has been some time since I last watched a Kubrick film and as I am currently lying down in a space pod (a space-themed hostel capsule) I thought that this would be a great time to continue where I left off.

Rewatch.

It’s very good once you get used to the Galician. Enjoyed it much more this time around.
Loved this.

I do have a weakness for this one, too. Ruined mountains for me.
Mountains are OK. It's just those volcanos that are a problem to be solved only by distance.

Just finished watching the movie Seventh Son. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it and is planning to watch the next film. Las brujas de Zugarramurdi

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just finished watching the movie Seventh Son. I recommend it to everyone who hasn't seen it and is planning to watch the next film. Las brujas de Zugarramurdi

I recommend "The Seventh Seal"

Will give this another try. My cinema trips have been getting hijacked by life lately.

Not what I expected. A very good film, but so disheartening. A heavily pregnant woman/new mother exclusively catering to the people around her and trying to make everyone else except for herself feel better. Comer’s character directly says to her boyfriend, ‘I’ll look after you the way you’ve looked after me’ but I see no evidence that anyone took care of her. (I mean, yes, she tells people that the boyfriend did take care of her for a bit, but I don’t know). Gives birth alone, acts as a therapist to boyfriend and his father who are both weepy whiners. So ****ing depressing. I suppose that does make one back the protagonist but how awful. Not sure why so many films have weepy useless men in the last ten years. Ah yes, breaking stereotypes, that must be it. All the boyfriend does is whine about how things ‘feel’.
Watchable though, very much so.
Gotta give it to the protagonist, she is cool. Hat off. Overall, I really enjoyed this. Impressed that
WARNING: spoilers below
no one died, not the protagonist nor the baby or the boyfriend. That’s harder to pull off than multiple deaths.

Will give this another try. My cinema trips have been getting hijacked by life lately.
I have it in a watchlist someplace.

High Sierra (1941)

Not sure this is my cup of tea, but nothing else to see so I guess I’ll have to.

@xSookieStackhouse, I thought the music was pretty good (but then I do love blues). I didn’t think the story was anything special/particularly engaging, but overall, not a bad film, I’d say do give it a try. I suppose it can be seen as a feel-good film.