Reading Tab

Tools    

Congrats. Awesome book.
I have been meaning to start reading it for years but only got around to actually buying it and reading it last night. So far so good!!

In the Beginning...
I have been meaning to start reading it for years but only got around to actually buying it and reading it last night. So far so good!!
Yeah, there's a reason why 1984 is consistently voted one of the Top 5 works of literature of all-time in just about every yearly survey. Also, Animal Farm is a must-read if you haven't already; and if you decide that you're an Orwell fan, I highly recommend reading his article, Shooting an Elephant, which I believe is one of the more powerful pieces of nonfiction ever written.

Yeah, there's a reason why 1984 is consistently voted one of the Top 5 works of literature of all-time in just about every yearly survey. Also, Animal Farm is a must-read if you haven't already; and if you decide that you're an Orwell fan, I highly recommend reading his article, Shooting an Elephant, which I believe is one of the more powerful pieces of nonfiction ever written.

Thanks Sleezy will give it a read. Ya i must read that book too. I have not done much casual reading in a while now. The only reading i am engrossed in has some reference or other to criminal law so its good to chill back with a good book to read. I have a long list of must-read literature i need to go through.

Everyone should read 1984 sometime in their life.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Registered Creature
I'm reading a number of books at the moment (I can't just stick to reading one at a time, if I don't feel like reading one particular book I move onto the next), but I decided to spend pretty much the whole day reading The Outsiders in my bed - I'd been hoping to finish a book these holidays, but I'd let myself down again.

In the Beginning...
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman was great fun!
Yeah, I think I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman. I've just never put enough time into his books to say I'm a follower. I've enjoyed both American Gods and Smoke and Mirrors, but wasn't floored by either. And shamefully, I haven't read his entire Sandman series. (I have read "Preludes and Nocturnes," the first book, and thought it was brilliant.)

Maybe I should get on that.

Well, it's official: I'm on a Chesterton kick. Last night I finished...

The Man Who Was Thursday
by G.K. Chesterton

Not sure how I feel about this one yet. I think the first two-thirds are completely brilliant, but the last act is very strange, and I don't know if I like it or not. Halfway through I was consumed with thoughts of how much I'd love to adapt it into a film, but now that task seems a good deal more daunting.

Anyway, it's already contributed a brilliant description of its protagonist that makes me want to cheer:
"He was one of those driven early in life into too conservative an attitude by the bewildering folly of most revolutionists. He had not attained it by any tame tradition. His respectability was spontaneous and sudden, a rebellion against rebellion."
C.S. Lewis, who was heavily influenced by Chesterton and came a generation or so later, once said that we "read to know that we're not alone," and reading the passage above was definitely one of those lovely moments where I knew someone else had, at some time in the past, felt exactly the way I have.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Yeah, I think I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman. I've just never put enough time into his books to say I'm a follower. I've enjoyed both American Gods and Smoke and Mirrors, but wasn't floored by either. And shamefully, I haven't read his entire Sandman series. (I have read "Preludes and Nocturnes," the first book, and thought it was brilliant.)

Maybe I should get on that.
I tried to read Sandman but I'm just not a graphic novel person and couldn't get into it.

This is the first books I've read of his that I LOVED.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Every Demon Has His Day by Cara Lockwood (2/5) was not my flavor. It was to surface and romancy for my tastes. I'm sure some would love it though.