Reading Tab

Tools    

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Heart Shaped Box - by Joe Hill. Excellent, gothic ghost story set in the south. I didn't read it so much as devoured it. It's a great first novel from an author I'd love to read more by.
That's a book I've wanted to get to. I love the title. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Monkeypunch -- You do realize that Joe Hill is actually Stephen King's son, right? I almost wish I hadn't known that before reading it in some ways, but I too breezed right through it. His handle on the psychological head games King is so good at are evident in this first novel. I'd read more of his stuff too.

mack, I have 99 Coffins sitting upstairs in my reading queue but haven't started it yet. I love vampire books in general so this one ought to be interesting. Don't divulge too much ... but were the vampires more like the ones in I Am Legend? Those vampires are certainly not very sexed up, and not even very intelligent in some ways. Just ugly, gory, vicious animals most of the time.

I didn't know that Joe Hill was Stephen King's son. These writing families make me jealous. Okay, to be more accurate, these writing families who get published make me jealous.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Heart Shaped Box - by Joe Hill. Excellent, gothic ghost story set in the south. I didn't read it so much as devoured it. It's a great first novel from an author I'd love to read more by.
I haven't read a good ghost story in a while. I need to put this on my list.
Currently, I am on my second reading of American Tabloid by James Ellroy.

Bleached, I'm gonna LOVE reading what you are reading!

I wouldnt classify myself as a vampire fiction reader, but I find that I've read a lot of vampire books. Strange. However, the new rush on vampire fiction (or the vamp fad) has left me very skeptical about quality of the writing. I now avoid most them as being too melodramatic. Here's the thing - I like vamp fiction, and I even like dark vamp fiction, but like yourself, no matter how lovable the vamps, I like a non-vamp hero/ine (unless its P.N. Elrod's Jack Fleming).

mack, I have 99 Coffins sitting upstairs in my reading queue but haven't started it yet. I love vampire books in general so this one ought to be interesting. Don't divulge too much ... but were the vampires more like the ones in I Am Legend? Those vampires are certainly not very sexed up, and not even very intelligent in some ways. Just ugly, gory, vicious animals most of the time.
Basically they are monsters of the 30 Days of Night category. If you havent read the first book 13 Bullets, do that one first as it was a better read. This one builds upon the first book, but gets bogged down in historical drama. I almost wonder if he has to do this because the heroine is so thin on character herself. I cant figure out why he made her a lesbian, so maybe that's why? Very dark, but in a Resident Evil kind of way. I have to check out his Monster Island zombie series - I have yet to find someone who can depict zombies as well as the movies. Any suggestions??

I am reading The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, M.D.

I am very fascinated by neuroplasticity, the brain's ability to change, to rewire itself, all that good stuff. There are so many good stories in here - hopeful stories. Blind people learning to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, painful phantom limbs erased --- a must read.

For a very different take on Vampires I would recommend these books:

Fat White Vampire Blues by Andrew Fox.
You Suck! A Love Story by Christopher Moore.
The Angry Angel by Chelsea Quinn Yarboro
The Keep and Midnight Mass by F. Paul Wilson. (These are two unrelated vampire books.)

Warning: I loved the Jack Fleming books by P.N. Elrod. They were fun and fast reads for me.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
just finished this last night--

this was the first Haruki Murakami book for me.

i can't say much about it without giving away anything. it takes place in the late 1960's Tokyo where our narrator is remembering the time when he was a first year student at University. he develops intimate relationships with two very different woman in this time.

it deals in large with sexuality and the nostalgia of the late 1960's.

annnnd i have to say it: this book has some of the hottest and loveliest 'sex scenes' i've ever read. hell of sexy.

what can i say, i'm a woman of the world.

I can look it up. I'm only interested in reading it if there is that element. Thanks anyway.

Elsewhere by Grabrielle Zevin was a good book for me. It deals with one of my favorite story seeds, death. I like the take in the book on death very much. I can recomend this novel for those of you that enjoy that theme.

To my way of thinking it is much better than A Brief History of The Dead by Kevin Brockmeier or even The First Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Abrom.

The second book got HUGE publicity and kuddos but didn't live up to the hype IMO. The first hasn't gotten much press at all. It wasn't as good as I had hoped either but Elsewhere hit me just right!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I can look it up. I'm only interested in reading it if there is that element. Thanks anyway.
i had a feeling that's why you were asking, which is part of the reason i wouldn't answer. if you want to read a book with s&m as a key figure, get 120 Days of Sodom or something. Norwegian Book isn't that book.

i had a feeling that's why you were asking, which is part of the reason i wouldn't answer. if you want to read a book with s&m as a key figure, get 120 Days of Sodom or something. Norwegian Book isn't that book.
Yeah, I noticed that upon review. The book looks quite tragic. That's not my type of story.

I'm always on the look out for great S/m or any other of the BDSM family genre books. Those are so rare. It seems most feel you can't write hot sex of any type and a good story. How sad.

The rather antiquated writings of the Marquis de Sade don't do it for me either. Thanks for the recommendation though.

I run an online book club for this genre. The best books I've found so far are the ones that start with Kushiel's Dart byJacqueline Carey. They are just epic. These books are full of wonderful stories and characters! Anyone who enjoys fantasy should really love these books. If you happen to be kinky, you might love them even more.

Of course everyone doesn't like everything but still I give Ms. Carey high marks indeed!

Originally Posted by bleacheddecay
I'm always on the look out for great S/m or any other of the BDSM family genre books. Those are so rare. It seems most feel you can't write hot sex of any type and a good story. How sad.
I recommend Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns: The Romance and Sexual Sorcery of Sadomasochism by Phillip Miller and Molly Devon.

You can get it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Roses-Se...4839197&sr=8-1 They have a "LOOK INSIDE!" option for it.

Oh yes, that's a good one. I own it. I own quite a few BDSM practical books. This is my fav of them.

It's not a novel but a good guide. I do like the style in which it is written as well. It's breezy, funny and unapologetic.

There is another book about being kinky that drives me nuts. It's all "Don't hate me because I'm kinky. Boo hoo." Uh, no, that is not cool. Of course I'm cool with kink anyway and always have been even when I thought it was not for me.

I think my fav practical part is the diagram of where you can safely hit and where, if you hit, you might break your human toy. I like my toys in good condition. SSC and all that. I'd make certain that anyone who were using me for a toy would feel the same way.

I recommend Screw the Roses, Send Me the Thorns: The Romance and Sexual Sorcery of Sadomasochism by Phillip Miller and Molly Devon.

You can get it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Screw-Roses-Se...4839197&sr=8-1 They have a "LOOK INSIDE!" option for it.

Welcome to the human race...

Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs

So far, about 50 pages in despite having the book in my possession for a few months (and taking damage as the result of me leaving it on a car roof as forgetting it as the car drove onto a busy road...). It's shaping up to be one of the weirdest books I've read in a while, if not ever.