The Bear

Tools    

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
For anyone who likes Feck(?), please go watch Just a Dash on YouTube.

I would Patreon/Kickstarter/whatever s3 in a heartbeat. Your mileage may vary with all the other MM content, short of his Vice series.

Season One, Ep 5. Jesus, did you see Sydney's medicine cabinet? What was that about? Would love to see more of her at home because it appears she's miserable there and can't wait to get out to go to work. Sydney really needs to pull back on the sarcasm, it's not as cute as she thinks it is. "Dude, it's a human resources offense, dude." Love that Marcus is a fan of The Bachelorette. The in the bathroom job interview was gold. Carmy looked like he was going to explode when he confronted Richie. Abby Elliott was good in that scene with Carmy. I have to wonder about the legality of Sydney's solution. Liking Marcus more and more with each episode. Hating that Carmy had to come to Richie for $5500. Marcus and the tape...how awesome was that?

Season One, Ep 6. Great to see Jon Bernthal join the cast...terrific actor. Couldn't tell if Richie's date with the girl in the fancy restaurant was in the past or the present. Carmy revealed the perfect adjective for Sydney...impatient. Why is Marcus sleeping at the restaurant? Wow, the restaurant owes back taxes too...Michael left this place in a real mess. "I don't know, I'll ask him when he's not dead." Who the hell is shooting at the restaurant? I guess someone to whom Michael owed money. Richie has some kind of deal going with0 drug dealers? "She says I'm contagious, I only call with bad news." Did Sydney just go behind Carm's back and serve that dish as a special, rationalizing it by not charging for it? Didn't realize Richie actually kept a gun in the restaurant. OK, I don't think those people were dealers, who were they? Can we get Richie a valium please? There's something major going on with him that we haven't been made privy too yet. OMG, that chicken and pepper dish looked so good. Shouldn't watch this show when you're hungry. Loved Carmy's request for more urgency.

Season One, Ep 7. Opening scene was kind of all over the place, felt like a premiere episode. That review sounded promising and loved that Carmy didn't care. Tina's son is adorable. Does Carmy really believe that critic got that dish accidentally? I have a feeling I'm not supposed to, but I'm liking Sydney less and less with each episode. Carmy's really starting to lose it. Did Sydney stab Richie purposely? it was hard to tell. Did Sydney really think Carmy had the time to beg her to stay and change everything to work the way she wants? Jeremy Allen White crushed this episode.

And now the season one finale. Clever way to open the show by recapping most of what we already. maybe a method of getting people caught up? One helluva hallucination. Carmy's share at the Al-Anon meeting was brilliantly written and performed. Looking forward to more secrets about Mike to spill out because we've practically had one in each episode so far. Hope we learn more about Tina and Mike. They're shoving Marcus and Sydney at us and I'm not sure if I'm feeling these two as a couple. Really liked the way Richie was talking about Mike in the present tense. I have to wonder if Richie being in jail and facing possible manslaughter charges is just what he needs right now. Ebon Moss-Bacharach nailed that phone call to his girlfriend. His night in jail might have brought about a change in Richie, let's see if it lasts. Why did Carmy start that fire and then space out? I wondered when we'd get back to that letter. Richie kept that letter from Carmy intentionally? Offering a texted apology was really unprofessional of Sydney? Did she think that would get her her job back? That was jaw-dropping reveal in the final scene, but Sydney got off way too easy. Awesome season finale.

For anyone who likes Feck(?), please go watch Just a Dash on YouTube.

I would Patreon/Kickstarter/whatever s3 in a heartbeat. Your mileage may vary with all the other MM content, short of his Vice series.

The notorious Zaniac episode. I loved that.

OK, let's start season two. That first scene was so poorly lit I couldn't tell who Marcus was visiting. I see Sydney is still the cynical know it all she was last season. Hard to tell what Richie's latest meltdown is about...does he feel Carmy is pushing him out of the business? Who were those people in those pictures? They're really shoving Marcus and Sydney at us. Love that we're getting to see the entire transition of Original Beef into The Bear and that the season didn't open with The Bear's opening day. I don't know why, but I was surprised Carmy told Jimmy about the money. Is Jimmy their only option? Natalie needs to step up or back away, she's starting to piss me off. The Tina/Sydney scene was great. Loving Liza Colan-Zayas as Tina...superb actress. Have no idea what happened in that closing scene...what changed?

Season Two, Ep 2. "Sometimes I look like February." The phone that Marcus threw and broke is the only phone in the place? Richie seems to be afraid of Natalie, what's that about? I'm assuming that locker they had to saw the lock off of belonged to Mark. God, wjere was Sydney when the sensitivity chips were being passed out? Neil and Richie are so funny together, I guess cause Neil doesn't buy into all of Richie's crap. Why is Ebraheim so freaked out about culinary school? Glad Carmy and Sydney are bonding but not sure how long it's going to last. The ceiling collapse was hysterical even if you did see it coming. Carmy and Claire....how long do we have to wait to get the rest of that story? Sydney was a little rough on her cousin, which didn't really surprise me when he started asking specific questions. I remember the actress playing Claire from Theater Camp...loved that movie. These two definitely have some unfinished business.

This is excellent. It's a hectic look at the life of Carmy, a chef in a downtown restaurant. There is a load of subplot and there are funny moments as well as a lot of drama.

It's a love letter to all things Chicago, and feels like Uncut Gems in the Kitchen.

8 episodes.

Recommended.

Good life

Season Two, Ep 3. Glad to see Carmy at a meeting, he really needs one right about now. That dish Carmy and Sydney was working on looked NASTY!!! Loved seeing Richie with his daughter. Claire is kind of exhausting. Those spare ribs looked like the ribs served during the ending credits of The Flintstones. That was funny when Sydney got caught trying steal employees. Sydney cannot even accept her own mistakes let alone smene else's.

Season Two, Ep 3. Glad to see Carmy at a meeting, he really needs one right about now. That dish Carmy and Sydney was working on looked NASTY!!! Loved seeing Richie with his daughter. Claire is kind of exhausting. Those spare ribs looked like the ribs served during the ending credits of The Flintstones. That was funny when Sydney got caught trying steal employees. Sydney cannot even accept her own mistakes let alone smene else's.
WARNING: spoilers below
Richie might be my favorite character. You may not have gotten this far yet, but my fave line of his is “I wear suits now”.

Season Twp, Ep 4. Loved watching the permits go up. It's so cool the detail they are putting into the reopening by not having the place reopen in a couple of episodes. I cannot believe Natalie is just now telling Carmy that she's pregnant. Oh that was Marcus' mother was in the hospital, I thought it was Tina. Or is Tina his mother? What an interesting choice of music for the Marcus in Copenhagen scenes. It worked perfectly. Who's Marie? Is that Will Poulter playing Marcus' new boss? Was that Alex Moffat who got hired?. It was interesting to hear Marcus' take on Mike. I liked that scene of him and his new boss bonding. This episode must have been made while Jeremy Allen White was still working on The Iron Claw because White only appeared in the opening scene. I'm really liking Lionel Boyce, the actor who plays Marcus. Really enjoying this show...the pacing is leisurely and it totally works.

Season Two, Ep 5. Does Sydney ever listen to anyone else's opinion about anything? Thank goodness Jimmy can tell when Richie is about to open his mouth. Oliver Platt is golden. Loved Natalie correcting Jimmy on how deep he's in. Had a feeling Jimmy might be able to fastrack a liquor license. Wait, they already have a beer and wine license? They should settle for that for now. Claire and Carmy are a little too cutesy for me right now. This dance they're doing right now is not working for me. Why am I sensing that Claire had a relationship with Mike that Carmy doesn't know about? Beer pong? What is this, 1980? Watching Claire's weepy BFF cry about her breakup was a waste of screentime, who cares about her? A Tina musical moment? Sure didn't see that coming. Does Carny actually know these people? Why does Claire keep bringing up the fake number, I thought that was discussed and it's time to move on. Apparently this restaurant isn't big enough for Richie and Natalie? Claire and Richie are cousins? Whoa!!!!

Season Two, Ep 6. I guess I'm a little slow on the take, because it wasn't until the opening scene of this episode that I realized Jon Bernthal is playing Mike and his appearances thus far have been flashbacks. Why do they all call each other Bear? I thought that was Carmy's nickname. Bob Oedenkirk is playing Mike and Carm's father? Oliver Platt's first scene was a riot. OMG, Oscar winner Jamie Lee Curtis (love referring to her that way) is playing Mom? How awesome is that? Loved how upset the family got when he said he didn't want to come home for Xmas. OK, who is John Mulaney playing and will see him after we return to the present? OK, he called Jamie Lee Auntie Dee so that would make him another cousin? "I threw up so many times I forgot what I was mad about." Who's that actress playing Rchie's girl? Nice to see that Ebon-Moss Bacherach can play sensitive too. Yhat scene with Mike by the fridge made me think that Odenkirk's character is not their biological father, but might be their stepfather or on his way to that position. Oliver Platt was great in that scene with Richie. Wow, I didn't recognize Sarah Paulson with that short hair. I want to hear the story that led Mom to calling Natalie "Sugar." Mulaney and the baseball card guys were hysterical. I'm glad we're getting a glimpse into Mike and I love Jon Bernthal, but we're really not learning much. When Carmy walked out f the pantry you could tell Mike's heart was heavy. I really wanna see Mike confess something to somebody because his head is about to explode. OK, first Mom wanted everybody out of the kitchen and now she's mad because she has to do everything herself? Don't get the seven fishes thing but who brings a main course to Xmas dinner without being asked to? Wow, Michelle's request was vaguely specific...or specifically vague. She seems to think she knows Carmen better than anyone, sure want more details on that. Oliver Platt had another solid scene with Richie and Tiffany. Jamie Lee was heartbreaking in that kitchen scene with Jeremy. I bet a lot of Moms can relate to how she was feeling in that scene. That dinner table scene was dazzling, led by Bernthal, Oedenkirk, and Platt. Mulaney nailed his last monologue too. That episode was pure theater, the best episode of the series thus far, and I can't lie, I was in tears about 10 minutes before it ended.

Season Two, Ep 7. The restaurant looks amazing. Sorry, my bad, Richie is at another restaurant. Why is Richie at another restaurant? OMG, are we actually going to get to see Bo Burnhan? Richie really loves Tiffany, though I'm not sure that I care. Loved the differences between Richie's two wakeup scenes. The employees in this restaurant are like cyborgs, it kind of reminde me of The Menu. What the hell was that dessert that evaporated into the dish from the smoking tree? This episode is weird, I don't understand it, it reminds me of an episode of Atlanta. Whoa, Olivia Colman as Chef Terry....I wonder how long she's going to be around?

Season Two, Ep 7. The restaurant looks amazing. Sorry, my bad, Richie is at another restaurant. Why is Richie at another restaurant? OMG, are we actually going to get to see Bo Burnhan? Richie really loves Tiffany, though I'm not sure that I care. Loved the differences between Richie's two wakeup scenes. The employees in this restaurant are like cyborgs, it kind of reminde me of The Menu. What the hell was that dessert that evaporated into the dish from the smoking tree? This episode is weird, I don't understand it, it reminds me of an episode of Atlanta. Whoa, Olivia Colman as Chef Terry....I wonder how long she's going to be around?
I would imagine Colman’s rôle is a cameo.

Saw it a long time ago, but I think they gave Richie the opportunity to learn in a fancy restaurant. How reservations were scheduled & all that. And, of course, he loved it. “I wear suits now”.

Season Two, Ep 8. I agree with Carmy. I think another shoe is going to drop too. I really don't think this girl gives a damn about the restaurant. Would love to see Carmy's tattoos up close. Did Ebraheim flunk out of cooking school? Loved that Carmy referenced the amazing ep 6 that I just watched, did not see that coming. Ebon-Moss Bacarach looks amazing in that suit. Love Natalie wanting a witness for Richie's apology.. He seems sincere, like an alcoholic working on the 9th step. "I could be really great at things you don't wanna do." Loved Carmy's drawings. I knew Sydney would have issues when Carmy mentioned Claire's name, I saw that coming a million miles away. That remark from Sydney about the girlfriend was way out of line. I have to agree with Richie about the napkin. Not happy about Carmy looking to Neil for relationship advice, I hate that Sydney got to him. The way they're hanging everyhing on this fire suppression test is maddening. Loved that Natalie/Jimmy scene...business and family. That steak...OMG.

Season Two, Ep 9. The opening scene definitely could have been lit better. That scene with Sydney and her dad was oddly squirm worthy. Not really feeling Carmy having a meltdown right now. "Well, it turns out crossing off isn't an exact science." Loved Carm and Natalie talking about three different things at once, very well-written. Why is Carm so insistent that nobody contact the fridge guy but him? Liked the Natalie/Richie scene looking at the bottom line. The film editing on this show is Emmy-worthy. Awwww, Marcus named a dessert after Michael. Jimmy really seems to be in support of the Bear, but I'm still not sure if I trust him. I see him going totally ballistic when his first repayment check is a day late. That Oliver Platt monologue was way too long for the point Jimmy was trying to make. Sydney's omelette should be made into a You Tube video. Claire calling Carmen the same time he's trying to call the fridge guy...coincidence, more like an omen. Richie's speech to the staff was awesome. When are they going to give Alex Moffat something to do? "Does it look like I know where a screwdriver is, I'm front of house now." Despite Claire, every now and then there seems to be something between Carmen and Sydney, but I'm not sure...there's something going on there, whether or not its intentional. Sydney's going to melt down now, after being the rock of the reconstruction? Solid episode.

And now the second season finale. It feels like I just started watching this and I've gotten through 19 episodes? On pins and needles for the arrival of mom Jamie Lee Curtis at friends and family night. Richie's front of the house manners were on the money. I wonder if Natalie is going to go into labor during this episode. How does a restaurant with this many seasoned staff members run out of forks? Who are those three people standing against the wall in the kitchen not doing anything? Everybody needs to exhale. Locked in the walk in? Seriously? A little on the cliched side for my taste. The cursing ordering machine was classic. "Poor water, poor wine, read minds, just check in." Why were they ignoring Carmen? Can't tell if Carmen is worried that things aren't working outside or if he's worried that they are working without him. Jamie Lee Curtis made her delayed entrance worth waiting for....does Mom have dementia? That's what they were saving Alex Moffat for? What a waste. Didn't really get the significance of the chocolate banana will that be explained later or did I miss it? I feel so bad for Carmen missing Friends and Family night. Richie and Carmen fighting through the walk in door was brilliant. Six minutes before the episode ends, why is Carmen still in that walk in? Nobody is doing anything to get him out of that walk in? What is with Sydney and the vomiting? Loved when the sparks came into the walk in it looked like God was coming in to speak to Carmen. Terrific season finale, anyone know when season three starts?