Atlanta (FX TV Series)

Tools    

Okay, let's try season 4 ep 6. I was a little surprised to learn that Paper Boi actually watches the news. I don't know anyone who watches the news. How come this is the first I've heard of "Crank Dat" videos. I'm finding it hard to determine exactly how famous Paper Boi is at this point. "I don't want to kiss a friend for shoes." I don't know about Paper Boi leaving his house knowing someone might be in there. Loved when that guy pulled up on Paper Boi and we were hearing the guy's GPS on the audio. A shoot out in a mall? Seriously? I can't lie, it was kind of hot seeing Darius and Earn kiss. I have to admit that episode was kind of fun.

Yeah, I think that kind of "weird, but fun!" thing is what it's going for almost all the time. Or "weird, but perceptive" or "weird, but had an interesting take on some cultural issue." If it doesn't land it just seems weird, but when it does, and you can just sort of be along for the ride, that's when it's working the way it wants to work.

Or maybe just watching it enough, you eventually get more on the show's wavelength? Who knows. I think maybe binging it is weirder than watching it more over time. I kind of did a mix since I was a little late to some of it, but even when I was "binging" it was, like, a season over a week, two at a time at most, etc. Might not be a very bingeable show, since so many episodes kind of just start with a new idea completely.

Let's see ep 6 was just a fluke and give ep 7 a shot. I get Van's concern, that guy was kind of creepy. There was something weird about that meeting in the middle of the road thing. Loved when Lottie suggested that Earn sleep outside. There have already been two scenes of them walking by the water but shot from other side, implying that they're being watched. Why does Earn want to cross? This is leading up to something terrifying and the suspense is killing me. I can't believe Earn was really going to sleep outside. I don't believe what Earn said about being alone in LA, what unabashed arrogance. Glover nailed that final monologue before they went to sleep. Sweet episode that turned out be nothing I expected.

And now ep 8 of the final season. Is that Chris Redd playing Thomas? Is SCAD a real school? I'm not really getting the point of this. "If there was anything we wanted and didn't have it, he would draw it." Really not feeling this theory that Goofy is really a black man. It's kind of offensive. I guess I would have to watch A Goofy Movie to really understand what Glover is trying to say here. Great to see Brian McKnight and Sinbad. Whatever happened to Tevin Campbell? OK, I've decided that wasn't Chriss Redd playing Thomas. OK, the officially ruined this when they made Thomas crazy. That was one truly bizarre episode.

Ep 9. I knew Paper Boi sold weed, I didn't know he grew it. That store clerk looked like Jason Robards. Why is Paper Boi out here and not answering his phone. LOVE that Nino Brown T-shirt, I want one. That hog attack was the most terrifying thing I've seen since DiCaprio got attacked by that bear in The Revenant. SO he's still hiding from the Crack Dat Killer? I thought he was shot in ep 7. I'm beginning to think there's something really wrong with Donald Glover...sometimes his concepts of entertainment...I don't know. I'm actually kind of looking forward to being done with this show, it's very taxing on the brain.

Well, we've climbed the mountain, a very strange, twisted and bizarre mountain and we have reached Mecca...yes, it's here...the series finale of Atlanta. I know what I want to happen in this episode, but I'm pretty sure none of it will. If anyone needs their mind replenished, it's Darius. A black-owned Sushi restaurant? Seriously? I think Darius just walked away from the love of his life. They totally got me with the London incident. I thought this sushi thing was Van's idea, not Earn's. Who is this guy from Darius' past and what the hell is jollof? Darius has a brother? As suspected, nothing I expected but it was nice to see Lakeith Stanford get more than five minutes of screentime in the finale. This show was exhausting and there is something seriously wrong with Donald Glover.