RIP Paul D'Amato (Slap Shot, The Deer Hunter, Law & Order)

Tools    

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Actor Paul D'Amato has died at the age of 75.

He began working as a stagehand at the age of 14 and at 21 decided he wanted to be an actor. He attended Emerson College where he appeared in school productions and also played on the ice hockey team.

D'Amato worked in theater, film and television. His theatrical work included Deathwatch and Pericles Prince of Tyre. D'Amato appeared as different characters in episodes of Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. His film work included The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate and Suspect.

D'Amato was arguably most well known as Tim "Dr. Hook" McCracken in Slap Shot. It was his physical appearance this role that inspired comic book artist John Byrne's original design of Marvel's Wolverine.

By the 2010's D'Amato was no longer acting and had been working in a Vermont ski shop, which facilitated his skiing hobby. He had also made appearances evoking his role in Slap Shot, such as dropping the first puck at hockey games and joining a reunion of players for the film's 40th anniversary.

D'Amato died after a battle with supranuclear palsy on February 19, 2024.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Trying to think who he played in The Deer Hunter

Sad news. I loved this guy as McCracken in Slap Shot! He was so mean-looking and then to see him go completely goofy at the end was brilliant. Great acting. I've seen The Deer Hunter and Heaven's Gate but haven't seen them in over a decade so I can't recall what role he played in them. But I'll wager McCracken will stand as his crowning acting achievment. To know that Byrne modeled his Wolverine after D'Amato is great. That was my favorite run ever on The X-Men. Wow. This just makes me want to read those comics again (If I still have them) and watch Slap Shot for the thousandth time. Godspeed, Paul.