Rate the last Book you read

Tools    

“Oh great! Real Bullets!”
Unruly by David Mitchell. A British comedians summary on the Kings & Queens of England. 8/10

Confessions of a Mask, by Yukio Mishima.

The everyday story of a young Japanese guy whose creepy controlling grandmother gets a weird fixation on him and makes him live with her, in preference to his mother, and rub her feet. (This bit is autobiographical.)

He then discovers that he’s turned on by images of handsome unclothed young men getting stabbed or otherwise impaled, as in St. Sebastian. (This bit is also autobiographical.)

Interesting and powerful book. I find Mishima’s fetishization of violent death to be more than a bit icky but nobody can say he didn’t live the dream—he committed seppuku after a failed coup attempt in 1970. I read it mainly because I find his writing interesting, and it’s considered to be his most essential book.

The Ascent by Adam Plantinga 85/100

Dark Matters - Pessimism and the Problem of Suffering
by Mara Van Der Lugt

My first dive back into philosophy in awhile with this, a counter to my natural optimism. Heavy reading where some material certainly went over my head, but it did change a lot of my perspectives on how to look at the evil in life.
So I did actually read several chapters of this for the seminar that I mentioned on the last page---it's a great, readable (and that's important!) history of medicine, pain, and the philosophy surrounding it.

This might also be of interest to those into this stuff: https://global.oup.com/academic/prod...cc=us&lang=en&

Be warned, though, that one is DENSE!

Confessions of a Mask, by Yukio Mishima.

The everyday story of a young Japanese guy whose creepy controlling grandmother gets a weird fixation on him and makes him live with her, in preference to his mother, and rub her feet. (This bit is autobiographical.)

He then discovers that he’s turned on by images of handsome unclothed young men getting stabbed or otherwise impaled, as in St. Sebastian. (This bit is also autobiographical.)

Interesting and powerful book. I find Mishima’s fetishization of violent death to be more than a bit icky but nobody can say he didn’t live the dream—he committed seppuku after a failed coup attempt in 1970. I read it mainly because I find his writing interesting, and it’s considered to be his most essential book.
Confessions of a Mask is definitely one of Mishima's most essential books---not to mention one of his best. It's amazing, really, how much of his life course is traced out in that book.

My step-grandma just got me three more books. I have to get through more of these books more often, so right now I'm going through one of the new ones. I spent the last 45 minutes getting through 110 pages of Dan Simmons' Song of Kali. It's pretty effing good. It's highly detailed and combines the aesthetic of Indian religion with the mystique of H.P. Lovecraft.

- Machiavelli’s ‘The Prince’ — technically rereading it, but it’s been a while. 10/10. Rather, ahem, apt for our times.
- Eric Kaufmann’s ‘Whiteshift’ — sounded rather incendiary, to put it mildly, but turned out to be pretty astute sociopolitical analysis. Was hooked. 9/10.
- ‘Don Quixote’ — 6/10, fascinating as the first modern novel and all, but I expected way more explicit metafiction. Must have been irreversibly corrupted by ‘The French Lieutenant’s Woman’ way back in the day.

The Castel - Franz Kafka 9/10.
The Spy - A Espia (original title) - Paulo Coelho - a story about Mata Hari - based on real facts, but the author invented a few dialogues, inversed some events - 7/10.
I do not like all of his novels. I liked The Alchemist and one more book, but I don't like everything he wrote.

The Castel - Franz Kafka 9/10.
The Spy - A Espia (original title) - Paulo Coelho - a story about Mata Hari - based on real facts, but the author invented a few dialogues, inversed some events - 7/10.
I do not like all of his novels. I liked The Alchemist and one more book, but I don't like everything he wrote.
Only 9/10 for Kafka? I hope that's only because 9/10 of the novel was actually finished!

The writing style is a bit amateurish at times, but the stories and science are magnificent.

Only 9/10 for Kafka? I hope that's only because 9/10 of the novel was actually finished!
Actually 9 is quite close to 10. Love his books. Also read The Trial, Amerika and he also wrote a shorter story called The Metamorphosis - about a guy who morphs into an insect.
Great novels. His protagonists are dealing with bizarre bureaucratic institutions and people. Interesting to read.

Actually 9 is quite close to 10. Love his books. Also read The Process, Amerika and he also wrote a shorter story called The Metamorphosis - about a guy who morphs into an insect.
Great novels. His protagonists are dealing with bizarre bureaucratic institutions and people. Interesting to read.
I have yet to get to Amerika (though I have read the short version, "The Stoker"), but I have read the others that you mention! My favorite Kafka overall, however, are the fragments. The letter to his father is also very interesting and worth checking out.

The Trial is easily my favorite Kafka novel. But, when it comes to his short works, The Hunger Artist is about as good as it gets.

I know I read The Castle, and I liked it a lot, but it was far from a favorite.

The Trial is easily my favorite Kafka novel. But, when it comes to his short works, The Hunger Artist is about as good as it gets.

I know I read The Castle, and I liked it a lot, but it was far from a favorite.
That's my favorite too, But I liked "The Castle" as well.
Love his bizarre books. Wants to point out bureaucracy but he exaggerates that to the limit.

I think this is the only thing of his I haven't read.

I worry I'm past my Kafka phase and might now never.
I think I will get to it eventually, but it will be a while.

I am going to try and do Robbe-Grillet next.

Bringing Down the House

Surprised it took so long for me to get to this, based on the true story that was eventually made into a movie. It does a reasonably good job explaining the math, as advantages can still be had today but it certainly isn't easy or a guarantee.

I just sped-read Carrie in a single sitting. OK, I admit that most of the characters are Nickelodeon cartoon tropes with some teenage sexual dialogue in between.

Having said that, what in every **** imaginable. The writing tricks that King pulls off in this novel are incredible. And of course, there's the power of the message that's intact. Thankfully the movie kept that level of meat, but the book's making me re-evaluate my rating of the movie. I think I need to lower it a little due to more awareness of the lacking development for Tommy, even though I can safely say that the improved development for Sue and Chris maybe place the movie above the book. Yeah, I'm going with that. In fact, I might even say Tommy's lacking character development might've been the only flaw in the movie, and the flaw was more present in the book, even though King's writing helps make up for that.