Movie Tab II

Tools    

Everyone believes you, Mark, don't worry.
You've proven enough with many of your comments that you're by far the one with the broadest film knowledge of us all.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I hear that "exterminate" whenever my daughter gets a text message.
I read "I hear that whenever i exterminate my daughter" and was like WTF.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The recent movies (I'm also going to put up a thread in reviews for a recent set of movies I've seen sometime soon)
L'Argent by Robert Bresson

Bresson's beratement of capitalism feels as cold as journalism but has the calmness of being told by an omniscient and distant creator. Bresson's camera seems to contain as little emotion and visual complication as possible. The compositions are clean and typically singular in focus. This cold detachment begins to form a nearly spiritual observation towards the end of the film once the subject (a word I feel appropriate for Bresson's main character) stays at the country house. I need to spend more time with Bresson to understand his language (thank you, Hulu Plus), a style this distinctive and foreign deserves study.

Bastards by Claire Denis

Incidentally, I feel as though this is Claire Denis' version of L'Argent. A sensuality pervades the air of Denis' vision of capitalism. Her characters are more inbred than Bresson's. They have been born around and lived through capitalism, and understand and are corrupted by it from the start. No less a cynical environment, Bastards constructs tragedy around all of its characters. While certainly a weaker film than its above relative (maybe just a relative due to when I saw the two), the film was nearly entirely successful aesthetically and narratively, and one of the best films I saw from this year (which, granted, is not many).

Three Crowns of the Sailor by Raoul Ruiz

A cross between Bunuelian surrealism and Wellesian (and generally 1940s) cinematography and hints of Alain Resnais. One of my favorite films I've seen recently, Ruiz's film uses the planar shots to a strange and wonderful effect. The use of extreme foreground imagery combined with deep focused background narrative elements is made clearly more stylistically intent than even Welles' use of it. Effectively about its narration, the Chinese Box style narrative is delightful, bewildering, hilarious and profound. It's testament to Ruiz's stylistic power that the conclusion, which seemed determined before the film is half over, maintains the same strange power and joy that all of the prior ramblings held. One of the great surreal films of the cinema!

Nativity
- Had the last 20 minutes not been the children putting on the nativity, I'd have probably marked this at least half a popcorn more. Maybe more. I've tried to be fair-minded about this, but an otherwise sweet and quite amusing British comedy became a screeching saccharine fest at the end. I even sped through some of it, just so I didn't have to endure the boy band, emphasis on the word "boy" and some other caterwauling. If you can stand attending actual nativity plays or Britain Got Talent when small children sing, you probably won't have a problem with it. For me, it's like nails down a blackboard.

Tai-Pan
- An old school sweeping, epic adventure drama. Were it not for the nudity, it really could've been made at any time from the 1930's to the 80, so classic is it's narrative. (I cut it off there as after that they'd have started using digital effects and, while you often can't tell with the 'invisible effects, the overall feeling is never the same')

Not really my kind of thing, but I stayed with it and it gets bonus points for looking gorgeous, 80's stalwart Bryan Brown (and his Scottish accent) and Joan Chen looking as good as she ever has, IMO.

The House That Dripped Blood
- I'm not a fan of portmanteau films, but, the British ones, at least, do often offer a plethora of familiar faces and this one's no exception to that rule. We have Christopher Lee scared of his own daughter, Jon Pertwee as a vampire, while Peter Cushing gets his head chopped off. It does, as they usually do to me, feel as if someone took four episodes of Tales Of The Unexpected and set them all in the same place, but that's not a bad thing. It is what it is and you'll probably not give it more than a passing glance, but sometimes that's all you want.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Haha, you really didn't like "Out of the Furnace". It sounds like it's one of those love/hate movies.
I just couldn't find much to like about it really. It was much treaded upon subject matter with no new insight and movie that equates dreariness with substance.

They shot that right here. Like, really right here. Like two minutes from my house.
That's funny because my friend ( who thought the movie was really good by the way) kept commenting how beautiful it looked and that he wanted to live there. Where do you live again, Yoda? I have forgotten.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Originally Posted by linespalsy
three crowns of the sailor is wondeful.
It really is, I'm going to get every Ruiz I can find!

That's funny because my friend ( who thought the movie was really good by the way) kept commenting how beautiful it looked and that he wanted to live there. Where do you live again, Yoda? I have forgotten.
Ha! We live near Braddock. It's one of the more distresses areas around; it was even the subject of a national Levi's commercial, about how such areas are "the new frontier" or somesuch. We're not in the worst of it, and we rather like where we live, but if we moved a mile in most directions it'd be a different story.

When we heard it was gonna be shooting here, we thought "cool." Then we hear the plot is about a guy in a bad area trying to get out, or something, and we think "yeah, that sounds about right."

I'd be curious about which part your friend thought was beautiful, though I guess the steel mill makes for an interesting backdrop. Maybe he was responding to the cinematography.

I'd be curious about which part your friend thought was beautiful, though I guess the steel mill makes for an interesting backdrop. Maybe he was responding to the cinematography.
His exact words were, "where is this filmed? It's beautiful; I want to live there." The moment he said it is a scene where the camera is pointed at this bridge. I can't remember if you can see the steel mill or not, but it seemed to be the bridge that he found so impressive.

Have you guys seen Time Regained? I don't remember.
Time Regained is fascinating. Unfortunately the Kino dvd (the version I saw) has piss-poor subtitles (unreadable in the day-time scenes or whenever there's a light background). Mysteries of Lisbon is another one I strongly recommend (have you seen it yet, mark?).

His exact words were, "where is this filmed? It's beautiful; I want to live there." The moment he said it is a scene where the camera is pointed at this bridge. I can't remember if you can see the steel mill or not, but it seemed to be the bridge that he found so impressive.
Yeah, we hold the record for most bridges. We've got hundreds. Do you remember if the bridge was blue or yellow? If it was blue, and flat (no trusses above), then it might be the Rankin Bridge, which I'm a short walk from and pass going to and from work.

Pittsburgh is definitely a photogenic city, but I tend to think that about the areas around downtown more than some of the surrounding areas.

Anyway, yeah. Tons of freakin' bridges:

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Time Regained is fascinating. Unfortunately the Kino dvd (the version I saw) has piss-poor subtitles (unreadable in the day-time scenes or whenever there's a light background). Mysteries of Lisbon is another one I strongly recommend (have you seen it yet, mark?).
I would have sworn I'd seen others, but it looks like I've only seen Time Regained. I've got four others I can watch but none mentioned.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Hey Mark, ignore these people.

I went through the same thing with the Movie Lists. Which is partially why I removed them.

To the doubters, if you think he is lying, just pull up the TCM schedule.

Yeah, we hold the record for most bridges. We've got hundreds. Do you remember if the bridge was blue or yellow? If it was blue, and flat (no trusses above), then it might be the Rankin Bridge, which I'm a short walk from and pass going to and from work.

Pittsburgh is definitely a photogenic city, but I tend to think that about the areas around downtown more than some of the surrounding areas.

Anyway, yeah. Tons of freakin' bridges:

In my mind, I remember it being yellow, but I don't have the best memory. There was definitely a walk-way because they is another scene where Christian Bale and Zoe What's-Her-Name are having an emotional moment on it.

The scenery in the movie was pretty. I grew up in Ohio and there are parts of it that look a lot like that.