Anyone think Best Picture was Staged?

Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
My previous experience of watching movies and the Academy Awards, has left me under the impression that the show is always staged. There just happened to be more mistakes in this particular staged event, than in any of the earlier ones I remember.

Who would fire her? Isn't she in charge? How's the procedure for replacing an Academy President even work?

All questions that should probably have answers before we go suggesting that she has her job because she's a minority, if that was indeed the implication.
They have a board of govenors that make these decisions, though it seems like your pivoting...the issue is should she lose her job even though she's a minority.

They have a board of govenors that make these decisions, though it seems like your pivoting...
Not at all; you made two points. First, that she should be fired, and second, that if she isn't, it's because she's a minority. I replied to the second.

the issue is should she lose her job even though she's a minority.
For using the exact same organization that's handled this for 83 years?

Every year, they put some phony baloney (oscarstoowhite?) to people can talk about it, to get people watching. I can't be sure, but I think it was staged.
I know it's cool and hip and trendy to act like it wasn't staged, that there's NEVER a conspiracy happening ANYWHERE...... (or else people will think you wear a tin foil hat) ...... but.........

You know this whole thing was staged.

I mean, they were trying to copy the Steve Harvey thing.

Copying Steve Harvey is another way the Oscars could include the African-American element into the whole show! They were very thorough this year with their show planning.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	29144  

In my opinion this stunt was obviously staged. They just want people to watch it. Very sad that the Oscars are resorting to this level, like Gru in Despicable Me 2.
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it.

Not at all; you made two points. First, that she should be fired, and second, that if she isn't, it's because she's a minority. I replied to the second.

For using the exact same organization that's handled this for 83 years?
1....you mean 89 years
2... they've had 34 other presidents in 89 years so it's not like this is a job for life
3... "should" she be fired for the massive mistakes that were made in this production
4...did they screw up a winner and a dead person during any other broadcasts? They had a streaker once but this ceremony did have arguably the two biggest mistakes in the shows history.

1....you mean 89 years
2... they've had 34 other presidents in 89 years so it's not like this is a job for life
3... "should" she be fired for the massive mistakes that were made in this production
4...did they screw up a winner and a dead person during any other broadcasts? They had a streaker once but this ceremony did have arguably the two biggest mistakes in the shows history.
President of the academy doesn't mean she plans every little detail or is responsible because someone was tweeting pics when they should have been concentrating on their job.

So no, she does the firing, she shouldn't be fired for someone elses human error.

1....you mean 89 years
I do not. The Oscars have been going for 89 years; Price Waterhouse has handled the envelopes for 83 of them.

This doesn't have anything to do with whether she should be fired.

The issue is whether either mistake was foreseeable or preventable by her, specifically. I'm going to assume we're all reasonable enough to agree that she can't be expected to guess that PwC was suddenly, randomly going to flub their core duty after all this time. And I can't imagine personally verifying all the photos in the In Memoriam tribute is an efficient use of the Academy President's time, either.

I'm not really sure why people reflexively expect whoever's in charge to get canned for mistakes just because they were in charge. But I think it often happens to alleviate political pressure, and not because the person is actually incompetent.

Anyway, my objection was just with the assumption that, if she isn't fired, it's because of her demographic attributes. I think accusations like that should have pretty firm evidence, and in this case I don't think there's much either way.

Should Warren Beatty have turned to the judges to confirm when he saw "Emma Stone" on the card (since the Best Picture would not have had an actor's name in front of it)?

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Should Warren Beatty have turned to the judges to confirm when he saw "Emma Stone" on the card (since the Best Picture would not have had an actor's name in front of it)?

He's 80 years old, Cp. Poor guy hd no idea what was going on but he clearly new it was a mistake.

He's 80 years old, Cp. Poor guy hd no idea what was going on but he clearly new it was a mistake.
Yeah, it's obvious he knew something was wrong, I'm just wondering if he could've just beckoned to someone to confirm it before having Faye read what was on the card. (Or... was he showing it to Faye kind of like to say, "Hey what do you make of this?" to her to get her opinion on what it said, but then she read it outloud?)

Yeah, it's obvious he knew something was wrong, I'm just wondering if he could've just beckoned to someone to confirm it before having Faye read what was on the card. (Or... was he showing it to Faye kind of like to say, "Hey what do you make of this?" to her to get her opinion on what it said, but then she read it outloud?)
He could've, and he should've. But, it's not a big deal. Movie's are still great either way.

I think it's the latter, he said in his explanation that he saw it said "Emma Stone Best Actress" and when he was hesitating Dunaway said "Warren you're terrible" thinking he was stalling announcing it then he handed her the card and she just read it...

I guess confusion set in because as soon as he saw that he should have thought "Wrong envelope... need the right one..." not "Stare at it repeatedly and hope it magically turns into the right one"

At least he recognized that. Poor Faye just blurted the movie out. She cannot seem to get away from scandal being associated with her, can she?

Ps. Not sure if it has been posted (probably) but just in case, this guy is apparently to blame.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

Ps. Not sure if it has been posted (probably) but just in case, this guy is apparently to blame.

Yeah, he's an idiot. Too busy tweeting to do his job.