Review-The Holiday

→ in
Tools    

Sucker for hot British actors...
This was a nice romantic comedy. More of a rental than a going to the theater movie. It's not really worth the theater prices as it is a standard cookie cutter romantic comedy. The "Cameron Diaz running sequence" was a little too long, but the chemistry between Ms. Diaz and Jude Law more than made up for it. It's nice to see Cameron Diaz act again...I forgot how talented she is. Jack Black was a surprise as a leading man, but he did a good job. Kate Winslet was wonderful as usual although, I will say it was weird seeing her as a normal woman. No corsets or period clothing. Over all I give it a definite thumbs up.

Jack Black needs to stick to what he's good at, stupid comedy.

Movie Forums Extra
I Liked this movie as well. Kate Winslet was fantastic and Jack Black surprised me at how good he was in this film. I thought he would be terrible but i was wrong. Great film.

I am half agony, half hope.
Totally predictable movie, still, I loved it. I'm a sucker for that stuff, so sue me...

Johann von Goethe

i finally got to see this one on cable and though predictable, it was fun to watch cameron diaz and kate winslet's reactions to their different environment...good ensemble cast....

I'm a bunch of a hell!
Honesty I haven't see this movie yet but I'm planning to watch it on DVD instead.

I liked this movie too...Diaz' character was kind of all over the place, but I LOVED Kate Winslet and was shocked at how a good a reined in Jack Black was. I would also agree with another poster that this was a good rental, but I wouldn't have paid 10 bucks to see it in a theater.

This was a nice romantic comedy. More of a rental than a going to the theater movie. It's not really worth the theater prices as it is a standard cookie cutter romantic comedy.
I have to confess that The Holiday is one of my guilty secrets. Although I think it could have done with some sharper editing, I still believe that this is a superb romantic comedy and Nancy Meyers is one of the great auteurs of the genre.

I'm less drawn to the Jude Law - Cameron Diaz affair (great though the chemistry is), but more so to the burgeoning friendship between Kate Winslet's character and Eli Wallach. There are some neat references to past films, and I love the way the film is slightly self-deprecating in its dissection of the 'meet-cute'. There's more to it than meets the eye.