Movie Tab II

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...

Superbad -

Don't really feel like dedicating a whole review to it, but I'll just try and update my opinion. Around this time last year, I would give it a
but it's really grown on me. Granted, there are still some bits that are still just as unfunny as the first time I saw them, but I actually appreciate the humour a bit better now.

"I assume you all have guns and crack."

Slap Shot -

One of the small handful of sports movies I honestly enjoy. I showed it to a friend who plays ice hockey and we both loved it. Not really much else to say, other than I appreciate its down-to-earth quality and lack of over-the-top melodrama you tend to see in sports comedies nowadays.

"Piss on Eddie Shore! Piss on old-time hockey!"

Legend -

Good movie. The make-up work was excellent. I think I will like it more and more with repeated viewings.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Bolt 3-D

The Mutant Chronicles

Waking Ned Devine
Very funny.

You're a Genius all the time

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, 2008)

I saw this on Christmas morning with my family. It was a sold out theater and I'd be willing to bet I was the only person there who wasn't crying at one point or another during the movie. Everybody seemed to love it and they all thought it was so sad and beautiful and whatnot. I dunno, maybe I have no heart, but I was not blown away. It's an interesting flick with a solid gimmick, no doubt, and I was always mildly curious about where it would go next. But there's a big difference between being mildly curious about where a film's going next and being balls to the walls emotionally invested in it. Like I said, though, I'm the only one who wasn't in love with it so what do I know, really?

Last week I wrote that Milk flailed a little (as most biopics do) because it's so dang hard to condense a person's life, or part of their life, into one movie. I think, in essence, that's this film's fatal flaw. The scope is just too big and, in turn, the movie has long stretches that seem to drag on and on and on. So the flick's overlong and the lame framing story with Julia Ormond and Hurricane Katrina doesn't help. Outside of those hospital scenes, though, you can't really cut much else out of there, so I'd like to propose we all go back in time and push for a Ben Button mini series instead of a movie. This is a good story, but I'm pretty sure it would've been much better served in that type of format. It would've allowed for a tighter pace, I think, and a more satisfying, less rushed conclusion. But I don't own a time machine and I'm not the head of HBO, anyway, so that's probably not gonna happen.

It just seems like each chapter of Button's life is a movie unto it's own. Very episodic and very Gump-esque in that way. I'm sorry for that inevitable Forrest Gump comparison, by the way. I got pretty sick of every review for this thing mentioning Forrest Gump, but then I saw this and now I have a well and good idea of why Forrest Gump was mentioned in every review (Captain Mike!?). Benjamin Button is definitely the more cynical, ambitious, visually exciting film and it's unarguably more unique in both its story and its aesthetics. It also looks just about as good as Fincher's Zodiac (which is high praise) and it's more than impressive on the big screen. But the movie still can't help but come off as the Forrest Gump for adults. The similarities are too many to not be distracting and that's too bad. Amazingly, though, Benjamin Button's life is still more down to earth and believable than Gump's.

For the most part, the romance between Cate Blanchett's Daisy and Pitt's Button works. It's heartbreaking when it's supposed to be, it's obviously told in a different kind of way and it's superbly acted. Unfortunately, a lot of the rest of the movie seems forced or hokey and the majority of people who pass through Button's life are majorly uninteresting and feel like pointless sideshows. I liked Tildon's scenes, but again, that just felt like an episode of "The Benjamin Button Story".

So, yeah, to recap: "The Benjamin Button Story" could've been a great mini series or something, but as a feature length movie it falls short. It's got some parts that work, some parts that fail outright and ultimately it didn't do a lot for me. Bummer.

a very high

Stuck (Stuart Gordon, 2008)

Don't have a whole lot to say about Stuck, but I sure did like it. That balance between dark comedy and horrificly violent exploitation is a tough nut to crack; so when a movie like this succeeds you've gotta give it a ton of credit. It's also acted really well; which is a bonus you wouldn't necessarily expect going in. I hate when critics say somebody was a "revelation" or whatever but, damn it all, Mena Suvari was a revelation in this movie. And she has a perfect butt. Anywho, I'm sorta surprised and disappointed Stuck didn't get a bigger release, because I think a lot of different kinds of people would dig it.

I've watched Elf a few times this past week, too. "Santa!! I KNOW him! I know him!"

Me too, as a matter of fact, I'm leaving in a little bit to see it. I'll tell you my thoughts later.

Scream 2 -

And one of those popcorn bags is solely because of Sarah Michelle Gellar's appearance. Honestly, though, it wasn't very good. A couple of decent moments (Courtney Cox's character watching David Arquette's get maimed through the sound-proof glass), but ultimately Scream 2 was just another horrible sequel.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Speed racer - The Wachowski brothers (2008)

Among the best, if not the best film I've seen this year. I'm absolutely amazed at the criticism this film gets, everyone seems to have completely missed its intention. You can't possibly see this film as a serious piece of cinema. Who on earth could criticize its plot or character development, I mean for God's sake, it's based on a cartoon! It's supposed to be pure, unadulterated fun, only it does so with so much style and ingenuity it blows my mind. They are the action film's Tarantino! The editing is the most exciting thing I've ever seen, it drives, no, propels! even the most mundane of scenes. And the colours, my God, it's like eating cotton candy with my eyes. Everything worked so beautifully, the cast did their job perfectly, balancing the thin line between campyness and believability, the music was cut perfectly for an adrenaline rush, the story was well rounded and the climax was basically the visual equivalent of an orgasm. I'll never get over the fact that I didn't see it in the cinema, let alone in an IMAX (although that probably would have melted my brain). And just to think I wouldn't have seen it if it hadn't been for the insistent persuasion from mark and Chris. Love this place...

Among the best, if not the best film I've seen this year.
It was a piece of utter *****.

I'm sorry but this movie is for people who suffer from serious migraine headaches.... LMAO

That's what I'm saying...

Glad you enjoyed it Adi.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) -

(FIRST VIEWING)

That was a remarkable film-viewing experience. Asking for and receiving the DVD of this movie was just about the best thing I could have done this Christmas, because I'm sure that--with a near-future rewatch--this will become a new Top 10 favorite of mine. I liked the first half of the film better than the second half; I felt the climax/conclusion was a bit hasty, but it was remarkable nonetheless. I can't believe what I've been missing out on. Wow.

You're a Genius all the time
I think Speed Racer is bad by any standards, even if you're in a "screw it, I just wanna watch something goofy and fun" mood. Maybe I'm not smart enough to see it for what it truly is, but I'm pretty sure it's kinda lame and not in a good way. I do feel like I've shat on Speed Racer way too much around here, though, since it's not a completely horrible movie and it's crushingly average/forgettable more than anything. But when people start throwing around five star ratings, I've just gotta put my foot down.

Just got back from seeing Valkyrie, by the by, and I thought it was okay. Nothing to write home about maybe, but it's a competent thriller that really picks up in the second half and Cruise is decent enough. Carice Van Houten's role sets an all-time precedent for Thankless Throwaway Two-Dimensional Wife Characters in Film.

Burn After Reading -

This is a huge 'what the **** just happened' kind of movie. I really love this movie, but it is just plain weird as ****. Some parts of the movie I really had no idea what was going on, yet I still found it great. And Brad Pitt is just plain hilarious, his character in this would probably make it onto my top 25 favorite movie characters of all-time. The ending is by far the weirdest part of the movie though, I seriously said WTF after the movie was over. I think that this is gonna make it onto my top 100 when I finish it, it's not gonna be super high on it though. I'd highly recommend it, but expect a completely weird movie before watching it.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Yep, Burn After Reading makes a serious tone change about 3/4 through. I saw it earlier this year, and I'm still not sure what to make of it.

THE ENGLISH PATIENT

You know, I think of myself of a pretty savy movie-goer, someone who tries to see all the "big" movies, the award-winning films especially, but I've avoided The English Patient for 11 years. Maybe it was the Seinfeld episode that made me avoid it. Or my friend who said it was boring.

Well, I finally saw it tonight on a movie channel. And I cry at everything -- well, almost, anyway. Jeez, Marley and Me had me nearly sobbing. But this film... nada. Nothing. Not even a lump in the throat. I felt strangely disconnected the entire time. Like I was watching a movie.

Beautiful to look at. That was it for me. Oh well, at least I can say I've seen it. It was the only film of the last 30 years, I think, that won an Oscar that I didn't see. I'm glad I saw it finally but wow, I'm still amazed at how I felt nothing. I wasn't even bored. I liked it.

But there was no emotion in it for me at all. I don't even know how to rate it.

*shrugs*