The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nightcrawler is fantastic and crawled its way on to my ballot at #22. Body Heat is good, but didn't make my ballot.

Seen: 67/80

Seen both, loved both, had both on my ballot.

Nightcrawler is one that stuck with me ever since I saw it back in the day, so it was nice to revisit it for the recent Neo-noir HoF. Here's my full review and a bit of what I wrote back then:

It is Gyllenhaal's creepy and unsettling performance what ultimately defines this film. His Bloom is equal parts awkward, pathetic, unethical, savvy, and extremely clever. The way he navigates social circles reciting rehearsed monologues and factoids that he learned from the Internet shows a unique desire for acceptance; something that he gets through this job.
It's an extremely unsettling film, not for what it shows, but for what it implies about human nature, and I love it for that. I had it at #6.

As for Body Heat, that was one that I've had on my watchlist for a very long time, so it was great to finally catch up with it for that same Neo-noir HoF. Very hot and sleazy, in more ways than one, here's my full review and a bit of what I wrote back then:

This is one of those frequent mentions when the topic of 80s films come up that I hadn't seen, but what a pleasant watch it was. First, the atmosphere is so well transmitted that you can feel the humidity and the heat through the screen. But most of that falls also on Hurt and Turner's steamy and effective performances. Not only do they have an undeniable sexual chemistry, but they are pretty darn good in their roles.
It barely snuck into my list. Had it at #23.

SEEN: 55/80
MY BALLOT: 16/25

My ballot  

Nightcrawler was #55 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Been a fan of Body Heat for a very long time, an automatic top 10 choice for me.

I considered Nightcrawler and it probably would've made it had I seen it more than once.

1. Killer Joe (#66)
3. Gone Baby Gone (#64)
4. The Player (#47)
7. Body Heat (#22)
9. Mona Lisa (#78)
11. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (#62)
12. Body Double (#69)
15. The Driver (#79)
17. Night Moves (#40)
21. Manhunter (#77)
22. Sin City (#26)
24. Bound (#59)

Nightcrawler was my #9.

My List:
4. Memories of Murder (#25)
5. True Romance (#60)
9. Nightcrawler (#21)
11. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (#100)
12. Branded to Kill (#71)
13. The Man Who Wasn't There (#27)
14. Blast of Silence (#48)
16. Sin City (#26)
18. Following (#84)
21. Mother (#67)
22. Purple Noon (#94)

I've seen both of today's films. I rewatched Body Heat for the Countdown, but didn't bother with Nightcrawler even though I've been meaning to revisit it for awhile. Of the two, Nightcrawler actually made my list however, while Body Heat didn't.

I wasn't super impressed with Nightcrawler when I saw it, but I think that was because I'd heard tons of high praise for it, and expectations were set a little high. I did still appreciate what the film does well though, and I respected it enough to vote for it. I had it at #23.

Seen: 42/80

My List: 12
02. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #44
03. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #42
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
07. Dark City (1998) - #24
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
14. Angel Heart (1987) - #31
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
17. Memories of Murder (2003) - #25
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
23. Nightcrawler (2014) - #21
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

The protagonist in Nightcrawler was a bit too gross and seedy for me, even for a noir. It's an extremely well made movie, but it wasn't for me.

I haven't seen Body Heat.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... BODY HEAT

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.4

Roger Ebert said:

"In Body Heat, Kasdan's original screenplay surrounds the characters with good, well-written performances in supporting roles; he creates a real world of police stations, diners, law offices and restaurants, away from which Matty has seduced Ned into her own twisted scenario." (read full review here)
John Townsend, from Starburst, said:

"Body Heat helped usher in a resurgence of interest in film noir. Laden with genre homages, including John Barry’s atmospheric score, sizzling on-screen chemistry between William Hurt and Kathleen Turner hotter than the heatwave that provides a heady backdrop, and with barely hidden plot twists, it is a film that compares favourably with classic noirs such as Double Indemnity." (read full review here)
@PHOENIX74 said:

"There's a great deal here to suggest Body Heat is a great film - it's alluring, and now that it's over 40 years old it's become classic noir of it's own kind in a sense. It has itself inspired films (such as the Coen Bros Blood Simple) that pay tribute to it in turn, much as it's doing. It's sweaty, sexy, sultry and wonderfully dark and murderous." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... NIGHTCRAWLER

RT – 95%, IMDb – 7.8

Matt Zoller Seitz, from RogerEbert.com, said:

"That tabloid journalism rewards the shameless doesn't count as a breaking news flash, but Nightcrawler is not interested in stoking our outrage over what we already know. It's using TV news as a means to an end—to show how a man who presents as 'normal', even 'likable' and 'motivated' and 'capable', can be evil, and seduce us into being evil, too." (read full review here)
Kate Hagen, from The Black List Blog, said:

"What’s probably the most strikingly noir component of Nightcrawler is the strong usage of nighttime, shadows, and darkness throughout the piece. Often, it feels like Gyllenhaal’s character is driving his car wildly into the black, like he’s closing his eyes and letting the darkness take the wheel. Wherever that darkness spits him out, he’s there in the realest sense of the term, willing to dive into whatever shadowy, largely-hidden pocket of Los Angeles he crawls into the light long enough to see — and film." (read full review here)
@Evan_Wheatley said:

"Gyllenhaal’s performance is enthralling. Despite the disturbing and sociopathic nature of his role, his character intrigues you. Bloom is passionate. Bloom is driven. Bloom is wickedly smart. He has an eerie charisma about him that seeps under your skin." (read full review here)

AWARDS?

Body Heat received several nominations. These are some of the most notable:
  • One (1) BAFTA Film Award nomination for Most Outstanding Newcomer (Kathleen Turner)
  • One (1) Edgar Allan Poe Award nomination for Best Motion Picture
  • One (1) Golden Globe Award nomination for New Star of the Year (Turner)
  • One (1) Writers Guild of America Award for Best Drama Written for the Screen (Lawrence Kasdan)

AWARDS?

Nightcrawler received many awards and nominations. These are some of the most notable:
  • Four (4) BAFTA Film Award nominations, including Best Actor (Jake Gyllenhaal)
  • Three (3) Saturn Award nominations, including a win for Best Supporting Actress (Rene Russo)
  • Two (2) Satellite Award nominations, including a win for Best Original Screenplay (Dan Gilroy)
  • One (1) Academy Award nomination for Best Original Screenplay (Gilroy)
  • One (1) Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actor (Gyllenhaal)

Stats: Pit Stop #8

After hitting our eight pit stop (80), here's were we are now:

Decade Breakdown
  • 1960s = 11
  • 1970s = 12
  • 1980s = 8
  • 1990s = 23
  • 2000s = 14
  • 2010s = 12
  • 2020s = 0

A very strong showing from the 2000s in this batch, with 4 entries. The 90s only had one entry, but they're too far ahead. 1970s and 1980s got 2 in this batch.

Recurring Directors
  • Michael Mann = 4
  • William Friedkin = 3
  • David Fincher = 3
  • Bong Joon-ho = 2
  • Coen Brothers = 2
  • Shane Black = 2
  • Martin Scorsese = 2
  • Christopher Nolan = 2

Michael Mann had a party with this batch and ends up with 4 entries in the countdown so far. Fincher also added a couple, while Bong Joon-ho and the Coens join the group.

Body Heat and Nightcrawler are both movies that are very good, but don't need to be in my particularly canon.

Sometimes it's an elusive thing trying to figure out why some movies speak so strongly to me, and others, while obviously just as good, I just enjoy and appreciate but never think about again.

Body Heat (1981)

Likely in sequence the second great neo-noir of the later 20th
Century following Chinatown (1975), it was both written and directed by Lawrence Kasdan (Star Wars films, Raiders of the Lost Ark). The first rate cinematography was handled by Richard H. Kline (The Boston Strangler, Soylent Green).

In a small Florida town
William Hurt plays a second-rate attorney, Ned Racine, who commences an affair with Matty Walker (Kathleen Turner), the wife of wealthy tycoon Edmond Walker (Richard Crenna). Matty wants a divorce, but because of a pre-nuptial agreement, the only way she can acquire her husband’s fortune is if he is killed. She and Ned hatch a plan to murder Edmond in such a way as to show that it was an accident. Ned gets assistance from an explosives expert (Mickey Rourke) to make it look like Edmond was accidentally blown up in his factory following his surreptitious murder by Ned.

Matty decides to forge a new will making her sole beneficiary of the estate, cutting out anyone else in the family. Ned knew that the new document could be discovered as a forgery, which might expose them both. Several of Ned’s colleagues and the police start to suspect his involvement. What follows are several twists, double dealings, switched identities, and faked deaths which all lead to an atypical
classic noir ending.

Right from the start the classical noir chiaroscuro lighting is effectively replaced by the portrayal of the
sultry oppressive heat and mood of a small southern town in the humidity of the summer. Much of the action takes place at night or indoors so the shading of a mystery is enhanced. Ironically most of the film was shot during a cold winter spell, so efforts by the makeup and props crews had to work to imitate the sweaty summer environment.

Their are two common
important differences in the depiction of classic noir to neo-noir. One is the typical absence of the femme fatale in neo-noir; the other is the addition of more explicit sex, made newly possible by the loss of censorship that had been present in the classic era. But in Body Heat there is a nasty scheming femme fatale, and there is also plenty of steamy sex. Screenwriter Kasdan has certainly channeled James N. Cain (Double Indemnity, The Postman Always Rings Twice). Absent the use of color film and the portrayal of sexual intimacy, the film could have been made in 1950.

Kathleen Turner exploded into recognition in this her debut film, and both she and Mickey Rourke are put solidly on the map. It
is a landmark film that serves as one of the finest examples of neo-noir.

This great picture was at #2 on my list.

I forgot the opening line.
22. Body Heat - Another puzzling omission from me, I suspect because I finally saw this film only recently. It is a great neo noir classic - Kathleen Turner is amazing, and I can feel the body heat that's referred to in this film's title. When I think of it I think of naked sweaty skin - sometimes it's hard for filmmakers to convince the audience that chemistry and sexual attraction onscreen is real, but there's no problem here. Then there's Richard Crenna, who had the unenviable task to do the opposite and play someone who has absolutely no sexuality at all, and is not the least bit attractive. The narrative is simply classic film noir - but it's modernization makes it feel new, despite it's age old origin. Ted Danson, J. A. Preston and Mickey Rourke fit in well as supporting players, very much on the periphery. Glad to have finally seen this when it cropped up in a recent Hall of Fame.

21. Nightcrawler - A new classic - and a true great. Jake Gyllenhaal plays a great sociopath here - he deserved an Oscar nomination. The film does particularly well at shining a light on how gutter journalism tends to focus our attention away from what is actually important and instead fixes our gaze on the sensational and tawdry. It doesn't make it any less popular however - I guess we just have to settle on the film making it more visible and obvious as to how we're being cheated by allowing entertainment to trump truth, and especially what's important. It might be the end of us, if we don't forget the trivial and sensational and not focus on what's real and critical. I thought Nightcrawler was a very important film, and extraordinarily well made. I had it at #13 on my ballot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen : 55/80
I'd never even heard of : 9/80
Movies that had been on my radar, but I haven't seen yet : 16/80
Films from my list : 8

#21 - My #13 - Nightcrawler (2014)
#27 - My #24 - The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)
#28 - My #1 - The Conversation (1974)
#30 - My #23 - Zodiac (2007)
#42 - My #19 - Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005)
#44 - My #21 - Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
#52 - My #11 - Oldboy (2003)
#81 - My #17 - Brick (2005)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This one is pretty rough to predict for me because I'm not too well versed on neo Noir.

But it's pretty certain Chinatown will win this whole thing.

Mulholland Dr. Will be up there too.