Science fiction films of a specific kind

Tools    

I`m seeking a specific type of sci-fi, preferably grimdark w/ strong existential and socio-political undertones in the vein of Blade Runner and New Rose Hotel, but can rely heavy on atmosphere w/o much dialogue like Beyond the Black Rainbow. Doesn't necessarily need to be dystopian, but a thought-provoking script and maturity is what I'm looking for. I love films like 2001 and Solaris but I'm looking for something more terrestrial with transgressive theme(s).

Hope you guys and gals have a few suggestions to throw my way. It would be highly appreciated. Hopefully there´s a good handful of obscure gems out there that I haven't heard of.

Avalon is a good one. A live action film from the director of Ghost in the Shell. Try to find the non-Miramax version if you can (with the green tint instead of orange-ish; Miramax royally screwed up the subtitles).

Also maybe:
eXistenz - Comparable to Avalon. Has Cronenberg's weird body stuff.
Cypher - A unique man vs. corporation story directed by the guy who made Cube. He also made a sort of existential comedy called Nothing that was decent.
One Point O - One of my lesser known favorites. It has a very otherworldly kind of atmosphere, and the plot involves a paranoid man suspecting a conspiracy against him.
Nirvana - Maybe not the most engaging movie, but it has an excellent cyberpunk atmosphere.
The Zero Theorem - Terry Gilliam's recent film made in the style of Brazil. It got lukewarm reception, but I loved it.
Accion Mutante - OK, this may be a stretch, but it has some incisive social commentary in it. It's really a balls-out quasi-exploitative movie though, and it's awesome.

I`m seeking a specific type of sci-fi, preferably grimdark w/ strong existential and socio-political undertones in the vein of Blade Runner and New Rose Hotel, but can rely heavy on atmosphere w/o much dialogue like Beyond the Black Rainbow. Doesn't necessarily need to be dystopian, but a thought-provoking script and maturity is what I'm looking for. I love films like 2001 and Solaris but I'm looking for something more terrestrial with transgressive theme(s).

Hope you guys and gals have a few suggestions to throw my way. It would be highly appreciated. Hopefully there´s a good handful of obscure gems out there that I haven't heard of.
Equilibrium and Gattaca spring to mind first – maybe I'm just in that kind of mood this morning.

Zardoz is a good one too. Also Logan's Run and The Time Machine.

Non-terrestrial but still worth recommending is Cargo.

Wastelands Inhabitant
Maaaan, eXistenZ is so f*cked up Lol

What, the eighties film? Yeah, I remember that vaguely.

Slipstream's probably worth mentioning too.

Thanks to everyone that posted recs. Avalon is one I haven't seen that looks interesting, although I'm only vaguely familiar w/ the director's work. I loved Cube so Cypher may be something to queue up.

It's the subject of a controversy elsewhere on MoFo, but I would recommend Dark City. Noir-Scifi-Fantasy with some nightmare thrown in for good measure. It deals in the nature and illusions of memory and reality and is full of great, dark imagery.

-"Outland (1981)" starring sean connery and very good 80s entry of serial killer on the loose in a mining space facility.
-Silent running
-Logan s run
-