Feminism in movies: refreshing or overplayed and extreme?

Tools    

But there are women in real life who are into naughty and kinky sexual stuff, and seduce men. So even if a character like that is thought of by men, there are women in real life who are like that, so I think it is realistic still.

Plus in fiction there are naughty and kinky male characters written by women as well. So if a female writer can write a character like Christian Grey, then what's wrong with a male writer, writing a character like Xenia Onatopp (the Bond woman)?

If female writers can write a character like Christian Grey for the titilation of a female audience, then why can't male writers do it for a male audience? Is it so bad when femaile writers do this as well?
Ironpony, you ask a lot of questions, so how about for a change you answer your own post? Tells us why you think the above happens today? I want to hear your viewpoint on those questions you asked.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh I was curious in hearing other answers, of course, but for my own opinion I feel that today, that writers and filmmakers are afraid to create female character that enjoy sex and are very sexual as being exploitative. But I think that people in real life can be very sexual and enjoy sex, and it's okay to write female and male characters like this, if that's who the characters are.

I don't think that a very sexual character should be boycotted. I feel that if males are titilated by a female character who has a lot of sexuality in her behavior, than that is on the male viewers and shouldn't be put on the writers.

Now this doesn't apply to every movie and everything is case by case, but that is my opinion when it comes to a lot of movies.

I had made a pledge of sorts to not set foot in this thread again. But just started watching The Wilds. As I said elsewhere, it’s a good enough show if you subtract the feminism. When it comes to the fact that the feminism is unnatural, “shoehorned in” doesn’t begin to cover it. But my favourite bit, which exemplifies the entire conundrum for me, is this.

The teenage protagonist (ish, one of),
WARNING: spoilers below
miraculously finds a working phone. Plot twists aside, she chooses to call her lame grown-arse man “boyfriend”/virginity taker/call it what you will and not the 911/999/whatever.
Now, yes, it is addressed directly in the story: she regrets it, she admits it was a stupid thing to do, that she’s let her emotions get the better of her, and blah, blah, blah. But the message that in the writers’ minds seems to somehow fit in with the general “““feminism””” is that a “teenage girl” would actually do this. So, time is spent on getting us to “care” about the protagonists, blah, blah, blah again, they’re shown to be reasonably resourceful (that’s the genetic “surviver” plot, after all, we never get any actual helpless people because they’d be boring to watch and die off ASAP), and yet it is assumed that the first thing a teenage girl does is call her **** buddy. Reasonably realistic, actually, I think, but then, if we take the whole “fiction isn’t reality” line, why take that path if you want to show them being resourceful and competent women? To show that said guy is
a “dickhead” and doesn’t even call for help, all hail feminism, perhaps she should have saved herself for someone bet…. Oooh wait, then it wouldn’t be a feminist show, oh, dear.

That’s the sort of double standards conundrum that I find so pathetic and off-putting about almost every single film/show with a feminist slant ever made. I do think a really sheltered and empty-headed teenager could conceivably do something like that, but portraying it, using it as a story driver instead of all the other story drivers is pathetic if a “female empowerment” (or is it “female superpowers”?) message is then forced on the overarching narrative. Besides, the very least one could do is have her
die off “for” (due to) that kind of attitude, but no, she lives to tell the tale

Would be so much fun to actually see a “girly girl” sit on a rock filing her nails and still make it on that kind of show.

*rant over*.

Now, yes, it is addressed directly in the story: she regrets it, she admits it was a stupid thing to do, that she’s let her emotions get the better of her, and blah, blah, blah. But the message that in the writers’ minds seems to somehow fit in with the general “““feminism””” is that a “teenage girl” would actually do this. So, time is spent on getting us to “care” about the protagonists, blah, blah, blah again, they’re shown to be reasonably resourceful (that’s the genetic “surviver” plot, after all, we never get any actual helpless people because they’d be boring to watch and die off ASAP), and yet it is assumed that the first thing a teenage girl does is call her **** buddy.
Feminism doesn't posit that women are perfect and always make the correct decisions.

One of the things we learned in my CPR/First Aid training is that it's actually very common for people in an emergency situation to call a loved one instead of calling 911. This is especially true of younger people.

Most survival films--aside from those where the people surviving are real experts--tend to be a mix of those people making mistakes or running into bad luck. Those ups and downs drive the narrative. And characters who have different degrees of common sense are a staple of this kind of "random group stranded together" story. I don't know if you watched Lost, but there were definitely choices that characters made that weren't very smart.

The show has a pretty decent rating on IMDb--how far into the series are you?

Feminism doesn't posit that women are perfect and always make the correct decisions.

One of the things we learned in my CPR/First Aid training is that it's actually very common for people in an emergency situation to call a loved one instead of calling 911. This is especially true of younger people.

Most survival films--aside from those where the people surviving are real experts--tend to be a mix of those people making mistakes or running into bad luck. Those ups and downs drive the narrative. And characters who have different degrees of common sense are a staple of this kind of "random group stranded together" story. I don't know if you watched Lost, but there were definitely choices that characters made that weren't very smart.

The show has a pretty decent rating on IMDb--how far into the series are you?
I really like the show. I’m only into a few episodes in (6). It’s good, original and gripping.

And I really, really, really love Lost. And yes, decisions don’t have to be “smart”. I just talked it through with someone, and I guess, yes, in shock, she could call a loved one. Not something I’m naturally at ease with, but okay. But even so, okay, she calls him, but she doesn’t once say,
JOHN, I WAS IN A PLANE CRASH, CALL 999
. She says “Hi, how are you?”, essentially, “I miss you”. WTF? Is she nuts?

I do like the idea that
the guy doesn’t call for help. That is pretty great in itself

I really like the show. I’m only into a few episodes in (6). It’s good, original and gripping.

And I really, really, really love Lost. And yes, decisions don’t have to be “smart”. I just talked it through with someone, and I guess, yes, in shock, she could call a loved one. Not something I’m naturally at ease with, but okay. But even so, okay, she calls him, but she doesn’t once say,
JOHN, I WAS IN A PLANE CRASH, CALL 999
. She says “Hi, how are you?”, essentially, “I miss you”. WTF? Is she nuts?
LOL!

"No, I'm not up to anything . . . "

I do like the idea that
the guy doesn’t call for help. That is pretty great in itself
I've had this show on my radar, so maybe I'll have to check it out. You say it's good, original, and gripping, so I'll be interested to see where you might be seeing "shoehorned" girl-power stuff. (You don't need to tell me here in this thread, I'll check it out for myself.)

LOL!

"No, I'm not up to anything . . . "

I've had this show on my radar, so maybe I'll have to check it out. You say it's good, original, and gripping, so I'll be interested to see where you might be seeing "shoehorned" girl-power stuff. (You don't need to tell me here in this thread, I'll check it out for myself.)
Exactly that kind of LOL, yes!

Of course, I wouldn’t want to spoil. Nothing I said above is significant in the long-term. Let me know when you check it out.