On understanding directors

Tools    

Gooble gobble, one of us!
Something that really interests me is approaching a new director for the first time. We're talking directors that has a distinct style or vision, like Fellini, Lynch, Bergman, Tarkovsky or Kurosawa.

How do you go about approaching a director for the first time? How do you "crack" the code, does anyone else remember watching a Kubrick or Fellini film for the first time and not liking or understanding it?
What process do you go through to understand that director and possibly like his films more. Why do you think people dislike Bergman (Or any director) films when they first encounter them, but years later will say "Bergman is the man"?

I'd love to hear thoughts on this subject.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's quite a complicated topic based on multiple factors.

Let's begin with getting into a new director. Let's say you don't know anything about the man, only that he's highly acclaimed and hyped all around, because this is the main reason many people would like to discover his works. Of course, when you get deeper into it, you will discover new filmmakers on your own and sheer interest will lead you to their works, but we are just starting here, alright? Now, when there's a director and I haven't seen any film he made I would most of the time just go for his film that has the highest rating (more often), or just for a film I stumbled across (not that often, but happens). So, for Kubrick I'd like to either go for 2001: A Space Odyssey (because it's got the highest rating), or for The Killing, because this is the first film of his I came across surfing the Net and it got me interested. Another cool thing to do, when you have seen at least two films of a filmmaker and you love them both, is to watch all his works chronologically. Not only can you see his style developing and skills getting better (or worse; depending on the director), but you also start to perceive things you wouldn't the other way. Like, some actors that starred in more than one film of his, them getting older, different approaches, variety of interesting performances. It gives you a broader look on the works of a director.

Why do people hate a director at first, but after some time get to love him? There can be a lot of reasons, but I came up with two most apparent. The first one, quite obvious, is that your tastes change. Some things we've disliked back then, we're keen on today etc. All in all, people change and so do their tastes. The other reason for this is a so-called development of a taste. When you get into something it's hard to omit the basics and immediately get to the more advanced stuff. Nobody starts learning English from Past Perfect Continuous. Everybody starts from Present Simple. Maybe it's not the best comparison there is, but I hope you catch my drift. So, if you're interested in cinema and want to develop your tastes, you will get deeper and deeper into the world of cinema. GRADUALLY. Of course, you can go for the most hardcore arthouse film there is just after you've finished Transformers, but the probability you're gonna love it is very low. Now, if you take little steps and gradually go from mainstream, conventional cinema, through a less-conventional, more arthouse, through arthouse, experimental and so on you will eventually find out you came from contemporary comedy to Dada, from modern blockbusters to Brakhage-like abstractionism, from Cameron and Bay to Bergman and Tarkovsky and from Hollywood classics to Kirsanoff's visual poems. You can stay at any level as long as you like, it's still okay to like the more popular, mainstream, less obscure, less 'refined' stuff. It's alright to dislike some films, maybe even whole movements. You don't have to love everything, but you have to be interested in new possibilities. You have to seek new experiences. Want to develop yourself, because if you stay at level 1 and think Michael Bay is the best director ever you will most likely find Bergman boring and pretentious.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Watch the movies, read the criticism, and remember to never listen to Unregistered's opinion on the director

Watch the movies, read the criticism, and remember to never listen to BlueLion's opinion on the director
I love Godard and I want his babies

First of all you should just watch one or two of the director's films. Sometimes you'll get an immediate attraction to them and you'll be able to understand why. If you're not sure what to think about the director after watching some of his/her films, you could just read opinions and reviews from people or critics that like the work of the director in question and look for specifics.

Maybe it will be easier to understand the work when you take into account other people's thoughts or opinions when rewatching the films you've already seen or when you're watching other films from the director.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Maybe he wants to 'take' them more, well, literally.

Watch the movies, read the criticism, and remember to never listen to Citizen Rules's opinion on the director
Bluedeed, I'm not sure why you would say that? My post was not a joke post. It was sincere.

I get my movies from the library. I'm in my early 50s and my eyesight is weak, so all I can clearly see is the cover and name of the movie. I can't read the small font on the cover at all. If the film looks like something I would like, I take it home. Sometimes I get lucky and see great films, sometimes I get duds. If the movie is something I really like, I go to the IMDB site and look up the director and try to watch more of his/her films.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He didn't put your name in his post. It' set up to say whoever's name is reading it. It' a joke.

For me what I like to do is see three or four of one director's works, generally the movies that are regarded as their best and most well known. I do this to try and get the best sense of their body of work. If I like them I continue to watch their films. If I do not get much out of it, then I put that director low on my priorities list.

Sometimes I find an instant connection like I did with Kurosawa. Sometimes it takes a few movies to really find a connection like my experiences with David Lynch, and other times I just can't get into their films at all like Altman. But that does not mean I always write them off completely. Tarkovsky was once filmmaker I thought was just not for me. I watched Ivan's Childhood and liked it, but was not that moved by Solaris (which I want to rewatch), Andrei Rublev and the Mirror. I was just about ready to write him off until I saw Stalker, which absolutely floored me!

Watch the movies for yourself. It is the fun part of the cinematic journey.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I see what ya did there ya sonovabitch.
I always thought that trick would have some fun general use cases outside of the main thread. I caught a couple here