Mulholland Drive

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Welcome to the lynchian world.

No kidding. It was my 1st Lynch film, and its got me thinking way too much. And this comes from someone who doesn't mind thinking about a movie, either.

I have seen all of Lynch's films.. But no movie has screwed my brains like Inland Empire.
WTF was that?!!

But I love Mulholland Drive.. rauldc, I recommend you to watch it again.
Movies that make you think are one thing, but Surreal & Absurd movies are a whole different thing.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
somehow, out of those 10 clues they give you in the DVD case, I haven't figured out how any of them have any significance. Damn it!

somehow, out of those 10 clues they give you in the DVD case, I haven't figured out how any of them have any significance. Damn it!
I have a raging feeling they're red herrings due to everyone asking what it's about instead of thinking about it.

Lynch has always enjoyed exploring the interplay/incongruity between surface appearances and hidden factors (usually unpleasant ones). I don't think the point is even to firmly establish what's "real" and what isn't, but to embrace subjectivity and recognize that even the supposedly illusory aspects have meaning and effect.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Initially, I felt the same way you do rauldc, but I absolutely love Mulholland Drive. Personally, I just think the film is an indictment of Hollywood and its ability to corrupt, and decided not to go any further because I'll just go nuts if I do. I don't think I'll ever really begin to understand the film, but I also won't ever cease to be fascinated by it.

I just saw this film last night, and I really don't think it's that complicated. Diane was asleep and dreaming of herself as Betty, a naive small-town girl excited to move to Hollywood and try to make it big as an actress. Diane dreams Camilla as a girl named Rita, an innocent object of her love as she idealizes it. Diane's subconscious as revealed in her dream reveals her view of her life: She came to Hollywood with as a talented actress ready to make it big, befriended Camilla and hoped she would help her make it big, but Camilla got the parts in the movies she wanted not because Diane didn't have the talent but because of what shadowy producers and executives up top wanted instead. Diane views Camilla as having lost her identity through the corruption of Hollywood, and she becomes one with this lost identity and corruption by attaching her career to Camilla's (hence the lesbian sex scene). Diane wakes up and we see what she has become: a failed, corrupted, broken-hearted soul whose dreams and ambitions in Hollywood never panned out. Finally, she imagines her grandparents and how excited they were to see their little Diane become a big movie star in the big screen. Pressured by the realization of how short she has fallen from these dreams, she kills herself in despair and we are left to grieve this tragic life in a final moment of silence, or "silencio".

David Lynch dedicated the film to a woman who died in 2001, as the credits show afterwards. This is the tragic story of a woman with dreams being broken by the corruption and shadiness of Hollywood, a dark and depressing interpretation of Hollywood and its history symbolized by the iconic Mulholland Drive.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166924/faq#.2.1.1

If you really haven't understood a thing, that will explain everything. I also think it's not that complicated.

Pure masterpiece though, and one that will in all likelihood stay in my 'favourite films of all time' list forever.

I loved it. I also don't think I demand an explanation for the plot: I am satisfied just by watching it without trying to figure out a rational explanation for what we are watching.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I couldn't resist grave-digging this thread. Mulholland Drive is the best film of the 21st century thus far and I want to someone to prove me wrong.

I couldn't resist grave-digging this thread. Mulholland Drive is the best film of the 21st century thus far and I want to someone to prove me wrong.
Two neo-Westerns want to ask what chur talkin' bout, Willis (TWBB and No Country for Old Men).

But for the most part, I agree.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Turin Horse.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think proving you wrong (or right) would go against Lynch's own philosophy.

Finished here. It's been fun.
No Country For Old Men is indeed very good. I have not seen The Turin Horse yet but thanks for the recommendation Mr Minio.

Mulholland Drive might be the mindf**kiest mindf**k there is. Embrace the insanity!
I think that in terms of films Eraserhead is more confusing. Mulholland Drive was quite simple, if you think about it without using Cartesian rationalism: it's about a girl who goes to Hollywood hoping to become a star and becomes disillusioned with it as her dreams collide with the dark reality.

In terms of raw plot complexity PMMM the film version, is much more complex, though it is strictly non-ambiguous and follows Cartesian rationality.

Well, for me there are a couple of 21st century movies that I like equally or more than MD: among English films of the 21st century, The Lord of the Rings, for instance, is even better thanks to it's awesome character development over 12 hours. I also liked Gladiator more thanks to it's poetic and atmospheric style, while being quite simple in terms of plot it is simply epic. Spirited Away is miles superior to MD. While PMMM film version is the best thing I ever watched, 21st century or not. There Will Be Blood is also better than MD. Eva 2.0, another anime film, is pretty much as good as MD.

So, according to my tastes I have watched a half dozen films 21st century film better than MD and about 800 21st century films that are weaker, so MD is still among the top 1% of 21st century films.

So out of the 800 21st century films I have watched my top 8 is:

1 - PMMM the film version
2 - Spirited Away
3 - The Lord of the Rings
4 - There Will Be Blood
5 - Gladiator
6 - The Lives of Others
7 - City of God
8 - Mulholland Drive