Scary Movies... of late

Tools    

I love to be scared.

For the past several years poor Toose has been like a crack addict with no crack. Can anyone in Hollywood scare me anymore?

I was mildly creeped out by The Others. Nice twist, cool cinematography etc... but I wasn't scared.

You know, I don't even care HOW a film scares me. It could be psychological, situational, ghosties and goblins, whatever.

Look at The Ring, Ghost Ship, etc. These were potentially scary films that I think were dumbed down to capture the widest audiences.

Is anyone scared by Freddie, Jason, Michael Myers anymore? I see them, I love them, I laugh at the body counts. I'm certainly NOT afraid.

Maybe it's me... but I don't think so. I'm not so hardened that a film is incapable of scaring me. The Exorcist scares me every time I watch it. I get a little jolt every time I watch Stir of Echoes... or Sixth Sense. The Shining was scary.

I think my point is that it seems as if 'scary' films are being targeted to wide audiences now. Back in the old days (Evil Dead, etc) it was common knowledge that scary films were for a select and discerning few and were made in that light.

To Hollywood:

I'm out here... please scare me again.

Umm yea i partially blame the plague that is scary teen movies, like just the other night i watched "i still know what you did last summer" and started gettin back pains due to boredum messin up my spine.

Yes the shining and exorcist are also two of my favourite "scarers"

But i mean look at "the haunting" with liam neeson, terrible remake, the entire forcus was on bad CGI.

And finally if i was a still a kid signs woulda been very scary, but im not a kid, so it was just very fun.

I dunno

I See You When You're Sleeping
I was really freaked out by Ring (1998) and Ring 2 [1998] after watching them on my own, in the dark. The hollywood version is nothing compared to these. The added extra of watching Sadako's (the girl) video is totally freaky. Watch them Toose if you haven't already.

I didnt find the ringu trilogy as in in "scream out loud" scary.
WARNING: "The Ring" spoilers below
It did create an atmosphere of foreboding though and it was mainly a psychological horror, I found the climax of Sadako climbing out of the Tv to be not really that scary at all. Most of the fear and tension were created out of waiting to see what would happen and the imagination. They have been the closest to scaring me so far though, best in the genre imo.

On another note, "Evil Dead" The second rocked.

Hi there Rabid_Imp,

Will you please edit your above post with spoiler tags as some people may not want to know the end of the movies...

thanks

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
There have been some pretty good horror movies as of late. My current favorite is:

Do you know my poetry?
I hate horror movies, I just plain HATE them, I think horror is stupid and every horror movie is basically the same.I have this theory, why would you pay to get scared, thats just stupid.Thats my opinion, I think horror is the worst genre.

Originally Posted by Ezikiel
I hate horror movies, I just plain HATE them, I think horror is stupid and every horror movie is basically the same.I have this theory, why would you pay to get scared, thats just stupid.Thats my opinion, I think horror is the worst genre.
You calling horror fans stupid?

Who the hell rang your bell to begin with?

Wow, that's not even subjective, just stupidity.

How can you hate ALL horror movies? I bet some of your favourite movies have twinges of horror in them, be it psychological or gorish.

Do you know my poetry?
Originally Posted by Sir Toose
You calling horror fans stupid?

Who the hell rang your bell to begin with?
I never said horror fans are stupid, I never said those exact words, its just my opinion that horror movies are stupid, and I'm just saying I'll never pay to see one.

Don't know how many people have watched this but a fairly scary film to watch (on your own, with only the dark for company) is 'The Prince Of Darkness'. It had some really good plot devices in there too. The original 'The Hanted' is another good one.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I wouldn't say that all horror is bad. Some movies have surely been pretty crappy (the horror genre seems to have more of those that come to mind), but there are many wonderful and brillaint films that have come out of this genre.

And it isn't stupid to see a horror movie. You are paying to experience an emotion, and in this case you can fear without being in danger. ALl cinema tries to convey emotions while letting the audience be an outside party. I see no need to deem one emotion stupid.

Enemies are so stimulating.
I never said horror fans are stupid, I never said those exact words, its just my opinion that horror movies are stupid, and I'm just saying I'll never pay to see one.

why would you pay to get scared
so is that why you dont like them, coz they scare you? coz thats a pretty stupid reason for never wanting to see any. thats like me seeing a war film and then completely ruling them all out just coz i dont realy like the genre but even though i say that i did like most of saving private ryan (never saw it all) and i like the pianist and even though its possibly not completley war it has the aspect of war coz its during one.

i tend not to watch much horror coz it scares me...especially the ghost stuff. that scares the **** out of me and normally cant sleep without pillows all around me to protect me for a few nights lol.

i love the exorcist and depending on what mood im in depends on whether it scares me. its only scared me about once out of a probable seven times.

what lies beneath scared me but i love that film so much i think its one of the best suspense films ive seen since hitchcock. so good.

the omen didnt scare me but quality film....really wanna see the others now that ive seen the first

the shinning the only part of that film that sends shivers up my spine every time i watch it is the bit when the boy is saying red rum over and over again and then when you see it in the reflection. oh god i hate that. i dont know why it scares me so much ive seen it so many times lol

the others love that film....probably 40% of my love for it is because of nicole but i think it is brill. the girl scares me...she is so creepy....'find the curtains'

the sixth sense scared me the first time i watched it but in college i analyzed it so after the first 5 times it stopped being scary. still enjoy it though.

new nightmare the freddy film. that i used to watch a lot and then one day i was in a scared mood and it frightened me so much coz of how he grabs them from under the covers of their bed (one of my all time fears) so i havent watched it since lol

cant think of any more at the minute
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

Originally Posted by Revenant
The original 'The Hanted' is another good one.
That was a fantastic film, I'll have to hunt for it. It freaks me out just thinking about it. I also loved Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973), it was about a couple who inherit a house which has goblins that come out of the fireplace at night. It freaked me out so much, especially when they drag the woman down into the fireplace with them.

Hey "Beale" great call with Lucky McKee's "MAY" I totally dug this movie too. Not sure if I would call it scary just a bloody entertaining watch and certainly a worthy entry into the horror genre.

In the same way I would include Bill Paxton's FRAILTY which again isn't scary so much as suspensful and satisfying.

The only US horror film of recent years that truly freaked me was Eric Stanze's SCRAPBOOK which is just so full on you cant help but feel uncomfortable throughout.

As far as genuine creeps go I find the Japanese and Spanish filmmakers are really the only modern contributors to the horror genre in the new millenium.

A few Japanese chillers that made me squirm are:

Takeshi Miike's AUDITION, VISTOR Q
Hideo Nikato's RINGU & DARK WATER
FREEZE ME & EVIL DEAD TRAP
THE EYE
ST JOHN's WORT

Some Spanish delights that gave me chills are:

Gulmerro Del Torro's DEVIL's BACKBONE & CRONOS
Nacho Cerda's AFTERMATH
THE NAMELESS
FAUST 5.0

I also really enjoyed the German slasher ANATOMIE and the French film CRIMSON RIVERS

Even if your nota foreign fan these films are really the way to go if your looking for quality modern horror that genuinely creeps.

Lets put a smile on that block
Is everyone forgetting The Blaire Witch Project? How did this measure up on Sir Toose's Scare-o-meter? It's pretty recent (Compared to the classic scarefests such as Excorsist, Poltergeist etc) and it really did scare me. I'm not a HUGE fan of it but it certainly done it for me. Everytime i watch this i have serious heebyjeebies afterwards. The climax at the end in the house

Also What Lies Beneath is a brilliaint modern horror. that gave me the creeps. Good job i only take showers though

Signs is another modern one that gave me the creeps. Especially when you actually see the Aliens....woah.

But i think it does take a lot to scare you when you are older. I agree with Toose that when i saw certain horror films in the past, they did really REALLY scare me, but now in the present that doesnt happen. A lot of it with me is the fact that the horror films that truly do scare me are the ones that used to scare me when i was little and a lot younger. The images you remember from your imagination when you see certain films now that you saw years ago, bring back all the fear you felt when you originally watched them.
For me, when i watch Poltergeist, Poltergeist 2, Silver Bullet (the film )and The Thing now, they really bring back the scaries that i used to feel when watching them when i was younger.

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Is everyone forgetting The Blaire Witch Project? How did this measure up on Sir Toose's Scare-o-meter? It's pretty recent (Compared to the classic scarefests such as Excorsist, Poltergeist etc) and it really did scare me. I'm not a HUGE fan of it but it certainly done it for me. Everytime i watch this i have serious heebyjeebies afterwards. The climax at the end in the house

Also What Lies Beneath is a brilliaint modern horror. that gave me the creeps. Good job i only take showers though

Signs is another modern one that gave me the creeps. Especially when you actually see the Aliens....woah.

But i think it does take a lot to scare you when you are older. I agree with Toose that when i saw certain horror films in the past, they did really REALLY scare me, but now in the present that doesnt happen. A lot of it with me is the fact that the horror films that truly do scare me are the ones that used to scare me when i was little and a lot younger. The images you remember from your imagination when you see certain films now that you saw years ago, bring back all the fear you felt when you originally watched them.
For me, when i watch Poltergeist, Poltergeist 2, Silver Bullet (the film )and The Thing now, they really bring back the scaries that i used to feel when watching them when i was younger.
yeah signs scares me a little too sometimes....thats one of the reasons i stopped watching the x files....although that was years and years ago....i just used to get scared when i went to bed coz i didnt want any aliens to come and get me and stick things in me.

i completely forgot about blair witch....that scares me....when i watched it in the cinema it didnt and then about two days later i found myself afraid of the dark lol.

Originally Posted by Deckard
Takeshi Miike's AUDITION
i never really thought of that as being a horror....it didnt really scare me it just grossed me out. me and my uni friend watched it one night and when it got to that bit at the end we were half covering our eyes lol. it was so funny.

I would like to add 'A Nightmare On Elm Street'. That was more then just a horror movie, it also had psychological implications too. I liked the fact it preyed on the mind and made you guess at what was the reality or what was the dream. That is what I call an intelligent horror film.

'Candyman' is another one I liked from the latter stages of the horror era. Once again a bit more thought was put into this then some others. It certainly gives thought to how we percieve things and through the human pysche of how we can perpetuate our own surroundings and fears.

Also what about 'The Wicker Man' ? Was that not a fine film? It crawls into the more easily tapped part of us, those instincts that makes us revolt and balk because deep down we're aware of the actual possibilty of something like that happening. All out sickening it may not be, but that is what makes it all the more impressionable to my mind.

I totally agree about the dumbing down of the genre in recent years. It's mostly about majority audience satisfaction, gore, special effects and money these days . I have a feeling its going to be a long while before the movie industry gets back to focusing on the mental aspects.

Wow, maybe you could post some of your favourite movies so we can pass judgement on you and laugh?

Originally Posted by MinionTv
Wow, that's not even subjective, just stupidity.

Originally Posted by Revenant
Also what about 'The Wicker Man' ? Was that not a fine film? It crawls into the more easily tapped part of us, those instincts that makes us revolt and balk because deep down we're aware of the actual possibilty of something like that happening. All out sickening it may not be, but that is what makes it all the more impressionable to my mind.
i liked the wicker man but i didnt find it to be scary...i guess if i thought about it as something that could happen now just accross town or something then obviously its scary.....the only thing that did make me go ooo was at the end when you find out

WARNING: spoilers below
that they sent out for the policeman so they could burn him instead of that girl and that the whole film was a big set up for him to stay on that island to be a sacrafice in the end.

but the film itself was not what i expected. it wasnt as messed up as i thought. thats not to say it wasnt...but i was expecting maybe a david lynch kind of film. their religon in it was pretty crazy though...although i didnt mind all the naked people.