Movie Posters

Tools    

In Tyler We Trust
Do you Buy Movie Posters?
Whats your favorite Movie Poster?
Which is the Best Looking Movie Best Around?

I've got a few. Someone bought me a couple of O Brother, Where Art Thou? posters for Christmas last year, and I bought a Kill Bill: Vol. 1 poster (the yellow one) a few weeks ago.

These are the ones I currently have hanging about my house:

Pennies From Heaven (1981)
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)
Hamlet (1996)
Rushmore (1998)
The Limey (1999)
A Thousand Clowns (1965)
Modern Romance (1981)
BladeRunner (1982)
Night Moves (1975)
Prime Cut (1972)
The Long Goodbye (1973)
The King of Comedy (1983)
and lobby cards from Day for Night, The Last Waltz, The Wild Bunch, Odd Man Out and Zero Hour.

I have other stuff that isn't up on walls at present.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My favorite poster at the moment is the new collector"s edition version of "Once Upon a Time in the West." The standoff on the cover looks great!

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
These are the ones I currently have hanging about my house:

Pennies From Heaven (1981)
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982)
Hamlet (1996)
Rushmore (1998)
The Limey (1999)
A Thousand Clowns (1965)
Modern Romance (1981)
BladeRunner (1982)
Night Moves (1975)
Prime Cut (1972)
The Long Goodbye (1973)
The King of Comedy (1983)
and lobby cards from Day for Night, The Last Waltz, The Wild Bunch, Odd Man Out and Zero Hour.

I have other stuff that isn't up on walls at present.
Very impressive

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
the black kill bill poster

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
They're in storage now, but 20 years ago I had The Birds, Psycho and Psycho II posters hanging on my bedroom walls.

Although I don't own it, the following posters is one of my recent favorites:

NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Enemies are so stimulating.
at the moment i have;
stepford wives (US version, the remake, id like the original too though)
some like it hot (uk quad. one of my faves, its all yellow and has big writing!)
cold mountain (uk quad)
romeo and juliet (us version i have two different types...one at my uni house and one at my parents house)
birthday girl (uk quad, nicole looks good in it. its all white with nicole laying down looking at you. so good.)
Dogville (uk quad, love this poster too, mostly just coz i love the film.)
x-men 2 (us version)
princess bride (us version, amazing film, amazing poster)
moulin rouge (us version, the one when they are kissing with the windmill in the background)
LOTRs:TTT gandalf the white (got it free from total film)
Kill bill (free from total film)
mystic river (uk quad)
Calander girls (uk quad)
Love Actually (uk quad)
young adam (uk quad)
big fish (uk quad)

ive got some others but cant remember which ones.

blibblobblib has some pretty good ones. he'll probably be on here telling you which ones but i like his edward scissorhands one the best. its so beautiful.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

The hallway that leads into my home theater has these hanging on the walls.

Posters
Bullitt
Gone With The Wind (wife's favorite)
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
The Creature From The Black Lagoon
The Blues Brothers
Hatari

Photos
Mel Gibson holding American flag- The Patriot
Christopher Reeves holding American flag - Superman: The Movie
Clint Eastwood - The Outlaw Josey Wales
A scene from Big Trouble In Little China
The 3 Stooges
Ash with chainsaw and boomstick - Army Of Darkness

Lobby Cards
Donovan's Reef
Jaws
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by sisboombah
some like it hot (uk quad. one of my faves, its all yellow and has big writing!)

Dogville (uk quad, love this poster too, mostly just coz i love the film.)

big fish (uk quad).
I really want these posteres, there really cool. Especially the Some like it Hot one.

Originally Posted by sisboombah
blibblobblib has some pretty good ones. he'll probably be on here telling you which ones but i like his edward scissorhands one the best. its so beautiful.
And here i am! HUZZAH! Personally i love the old style posters of films that i enjoy. Love your list Holden, theyre the sorts of postres i would like to have, but only if i have seen and appreciate the film that is, id feel like a bit of a hypocrite having a poster of a film up on my wall purely for the fact that i like the poster. The Posters i have either up or down are..

The Birds
Its a Wonderful Life (Its my favourite one, its a big poster with Jimmy Lifting Donna off of her feet with the title above them. Its wonderful.)
Edward Scissorhands - i like this one too. Its winona's character hugging Edward and The tag line reads "She saw beauty, he saw Love"
Vertigo
Moulin Rouge
The Cat in the Hat - The Dr Seuss drawing of the cat
Singing in the Rain

I have more but I'll list them later.

I definitley need to get some Hitchcock stuff.

Spiderman 2 - Advance - Style A (July 2 Release Date)
Matrix - Masterprint Poster - Style A
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Advance - Style B
Star Wars: A New Hope - - Style A
Raiders of the Lost Ark - - Style A
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Style B
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Style A
Blade - 27.5" x 40" - Italian
Blade 2 - Advance - Style A
i,Robot - Advance - Style B

I just started to build up and gather my posters for my movie room. The recent ones gotten are the Spiderman 2 and i,Robot one sheets...and I'm gettin' more.

I also have the following standees for:

The Day After Tomorrow
Shrek 2
The X-Files Movie
Blade 2
Daredevil
Hellboy

Originally Posted by nebbit
What are Lobby Cards

Movie Posters | Other Paper Products | Non-Paper Products

Movie Poster Art Descriptions

North America || United Kingdom || France || Australia || Other Foreign Countries

Following are brief descriptions of the more common forms of movie poster art. Andy the Usher, your assistant at MovieGoods, will show you the relative size of each. You can search the MovieGoods site for products in these sizes.

Movie studios produced as many as 12 different kinds of advertising collateral from the years 1940 — 1985. This was done primarily because each theatre displayed only one film on one screen. As a result there was a need to have numerous different sized movie posters, lobby cards and scene stills promoting the film throughout the theatre.

With the emergence of the multiple screen cinemas the studios chose to phase out many of the older styles. More screens meant the space to advertise had to be divided between more films. Currently in North America today the principal advertising size for a movie poster is 27" x 40" commonly referred to as the one sheet. There are still various different sized posters with different artwork for films released in countries overseas which we detail below.

Many of the older items (i.e. mid-1980s and earlier) for sale at MovieGoods have actually been displayed in a theatre or cinema. Given the nature of their use, many products will have some wear. If a pristine copy of a product for a particular film is important to you, be sure to ask us about the condition before you buy your product.

More detailed information about movie poster art and collecting can be found in our help/learn section.

North America

Mouse over the links to see an example of each size
1. One-Sheet >>description
2. Two-Sheet >>description
3. Three-Sheet >>description
4. Six-Sheet >>description
5. Twelve-Sheet >>description
6. Twenty-Four Sheet >>description
7. Half-Sheet >>description
8. Insert >>description
9. Lobby Card >>description
10. Window Card >>description
11. Still >>description
12. 30 x 40 >>description
13. 40 x 60 >>description

ONE-SHEET

Size: 27" x 41" (typically pre - 1985); 27" x 40" (typically post - 1985)

Type: Printed on paper stock. Before 1985, usually folded; after 1985, usually rolled.

History: Traditionally, the one-sheet (OS) is the "standard" size for movie advertising in North America. The one sheet is undeniably the most popular size for collectors and consumers alike. Most new movie releases since 1985 were advertised using this size

In addition to the regular release One-Sheet poster produced for most movies, there are also "special" versions made for some films. They are as follows:

Advance: Sometimes called "Teasers", Advance One-Sheets are released before the film comes out. Some of the Advance posters have completely different artwork than the poster accompanying the final release version. Some are identical to the release One-Sheet, with the only difference being the word "Advance", "Coming Soon", or a specific date will be printed along the bottom.

Anniversary: These one-sheets mark the anniversary of the original release date of an all-time favorite movie, such as "Casablanca" or "Gone with the Wind". They can be elaborate with different artwork than the original release One-Sheet.

Awards: Award One-Sheets indicate somewhere on the poster that the movie has either won an award, or been nominated for an award.

Different Versions: Sometimes a film will have a series of One-Sheets as part of its advertising campaign. You might see many styles of One-Sheets for the same film, called Style A, B, etc. Each of these styles will have different artwork.

Double-Sided: Many of the One-Sheets that are currently produced are double-sided, meaning that they have printing on both the front and the back of the poster. These can be used in light boxes in movie theater lobbies.

Lenticular: Lenticular posters are three-dimensional, holographic designs. An example of a Lenticular poster is "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"

Limited Edition: Limited Editions contain original artwork and are released in limited numbers. Some are even individually numbered.

Re-Release: If a film is re-released, you will often find different artwork for each release. Examples of this are "Gone with the Wind" and "Star Wars".

Review: These One-Sheets have very little artwork or credit information, and contains mostly quotes from movie critics, newspapers and magazines.

Video Release: Often the artwork on a poster that is produced for the Video Release of a film differs from the One-Sheet artwork produced for the theatrical release.

>>Return to relative size guide

HALF-SHEET

Size: 28" x 22"

Type: Printed on card stock, usually not folded

History: First used in the 1910s and discontinued in the mid 1980s. Used for special sized displays. Artwork tends to differ slightly from the one-sheet for the same film. Typically less expensive than one-sheets this size continues to be a popular vintage product.

INSERT

Size: 14" x 36"

Type: Printed on card stock, usually not folded

History: One of the earliest of movie paper sizes, inserts were first used in the 1910s and were used extensively until the 1980s. Used in special sized displays. Like the half-sheet the insert is generally less expensive than the equivalent one-sheet from the same film. Also the insert is still a popular collectible product category.

LOBBY CARDS

Sizes:
11" x 14" (standard)
8" x 10" (mini)
14" x 17" (jumbo)
Type: Printed in color on heavy card stock.

History: One of the oldest forms of movie poster art. Lobby cards were first introduced in the 1910s in theatre lobbies. A display fixture in most theatres for 75 + years. Although still available for some films, they are typically used only in foreign markets. Lobby cards remain a very popular collectible product today.

I have the 11" x 14" style.

Whoops! I copied way too much text!

Sorry.

Here ya go.

LOBBY CARD

Size:

11" x 14" (standard)
8" x 10" (mini)
14" x 17" (jumbo)

History: One of the oldest forms of movie poster art. Lobby cards were first introduced in the 1910s in theatre lobbies. A display fixture in most theatres for 75 + years. Although still available for some films, they are typically used only in foreign markets. Lobby cards remain a very popular collectible product today

In the Beginning...
I know this isn't a movie, but it might as well be. If I had a healthy budget, I'd do the job myself.

(By the way, the "real" poster has text printed on it, including the title, catch-phrase, etc)

Originally Posted by Shickadance
Whoops! I copied way too much text!

Sorry.

Here ya go.

LOBBY CARD

Size:

11" x 14" (standard)
8" x 10" (mini)
14" x 17" (jumbo)

History: One of the oldest forms of movie poster art. Lobby cards were first introduced in the 1910s in theatre lobbies. A display fixture in most theatres for 75 + years. Although still available for some films, they are typically used only in foreign markets. Lobby cards remain a very popular collectible product today
Thanks for that.

Originally Posted by jrs
Spiderman 2 - Advance - Style A (July 2 Release Date)
Matrix - Masterprint Poster - Style A
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Advance - Style B
Star Wars: A New Hope - - Style A
Raiders of the Lost Ark - - Style A
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - Style B
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - Style A
Blade - 27.5" x 40" - Italian
Blade 2 - Advance - Style A
i,Robot - Advance - Style B

I just started to build up and gather my posters for my movie room. The recent ones gotten are the Spiderman 2 and i,Robot one sheets...and I'm gettin' more.

I also have the following standees for:

The Day After Tomorrow
Shrek 2
The X-Files Movie
Blade 2
Daredevil
Hellboy
Dawn of the Dead

New Standees:

Saw
Hero

Subway Banner:

Alien vs. Predator

New Posters:

The Stepford Wives
Chronicles of Riddick
Ray
The Grudge

Originally Posted by jrs
New Standees:

Saw
Hero

Subway Banner:

Alien vs. Predator

New Posters:

The Stepford Wives
Chronicles of Riddick
Ray
The Grudge
Do you get your posters from where you work.