→ in
Tools    

Death Race
Action / English / 2008

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
Death Race remake next!
WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
Something that will perpetually baffle me until the end of time is why people cling to the originator by sheer virtue of it being the originator.

Sure, there are plenty of examples you can point to that muddy up their source material by trying to go in a different direction or losing sight of what made the originals enjoyable.

Which is better?:
The Star Wars Prequel Trilogy or The Original Trilogy?
The Original Trilogy

Jurassic Park or Jurassic World?
Jurassic Park.

Metropolis (1927) or Metropolis (2001)?
Metropolis (1927).

Am I choosing those because I saw the originals first? No. I saw the 2001 Metropolis years before the original.

I prefer The Thing (2011) to The Thing (1982).

I prefer Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011) to Planet of the Apes (1968).

And I prefer Death Race to Death Race 2000.

WHY? Because despite their respective faults, Death Race was better at being Death Race than Death Race 2000 was at being Death Race 2000.

They're
DIFFERENT actors playing
DIFFERENT characters in a
DIFFERENT setting in a
DIFFERENT game with
DIFFERENT rules with a
DIFFERENT tone and
DIFFERENT goal.

So it doesn't have any of satirical commentary like Death Race 2000 had.

Like Death Race 2000 was even intentionally funny or making any actual points to begin with?

That movie's just friggen' weird. It was a cartoon. That hangs a lampshade on violent entertainment.

This movie indulges directly in that.

You could say Death Race is missing the point, but I can say that Death Race 2000 was a terrible action movie by comparison. And action is all I'm getting out of DR2K. I'm not laughing, there's no interesting story, and it doesn't have anything meaningful to say like Jurassic Park, Planet of the Apes, Metropolis or SEVERAL OTHER movies I could list off the top of my head.

So when it comes to action, Death Race is simply better. In far more ways than I could do it justice by listing here.

With Death Race 2000 my mouth was hanging open because I couldn't process the idea of a couple guys expecting to stop a serial-killing murder car with WOOD.

In Death Race my mouth was open because they disemboweled Mad Max's War Rig with whiplash.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

There you go. Respect earned.

Glad you liked it. A little heavy on editing from time to time in the action, but I still think it's a great action film with one hell of a concept! And the practical stuff is so nice to see. Cars flipping, burning, drifting, shooting. And then there's people slashed and driven to death... It's every man's wet dream. Simple but effective.

Speak for yourself buddy.
You just hate on it to be cool and because you compare it with the original, which of course is a "classic" (lol).

Death Race is awesome. Period. End of discussion. That's it.

I've never seen Death Race and am not that passionate about the original.

But, my wet dreams do not involve cars. Because cars are stupid. My wet dreams play out more like Sex & Fury.

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation
It's every man's wet dream.
Originally Posted by Swan
my wet dreams do not involve cars. Because cars are stupid.
Gotta agree with Swan. I do not see the sexy when people talk of sexy cars.

Originally Posted by Swan
My wet dreams play out more like Sex & Fury.
Yes, see? Samurai are inherently sexy. Look at all that discipline.

Omni, are you a fan of exploitation cinema much? Death Race 2000 is good but it's nowhere near the best exploitation cinema that I've seen (honeykid would disagree). If you haven't seen much, I'm going to make some requests!

Omni, are you a fan of exploitation cinema much? Death Race 2000 is good but it's nowhere near the best exploitation cinema that I've seen (honeykid would disagree). If you haven't seen much, I'm going to make some requests!
No, I haven't seen much though I had some borderline-exploitation level movies lined up after this. I really liked Black Dynamite for what it's worth.

What do you have in mind?

No, I haven't seen much though I had some borderline-exploitation level movies lined up after this. I really liked Black Dynamite for what it's worth.

What do you have in mind?
Well, first remember I'm not an absolute expert regarding exploitation cinema, I've always seen bits and bobs of course but started really delving into it only last year, I think. That said I got kind of obsessed and now consider it among my favorites genres, if not my favorite... still have a lot to see though. If you find you do have an interest in the genre, go talk to Used Future. That dude knows the divine gutter of cinema very well.

I'm just going to list some movies and let you pick. I could pick more but I'll just keep it to a few.

Sex & Fury (was my introduction to pinky violence, and is a good one)
Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (an essential exploitation film, and I like it a lot, but not very dark or anything. Just fun and memorable)
A Fulci film... Zombie seems to be his most popular. I like The Beyond though. MM will tell you the day he watched The Beyond was the day he found out how stupid I was.
Thriller: A Cruel Picture OR Thriller: They Call Her One Eye

Regarding Thriller. If I want you to watch anything, watch Thriller, but keep in mind it's a dark film full of sex, drugs, and violence. There are two versions and I'll let you pick which one you go with. There's Thriller: A Cruel Picture and there's Thriller: They Call Her One Eye The main difference is A Cruel Picture features some more explicit stuff, notably unsimulated sex, while They Call Her One Eye doesn't. Tarantino prefers They Call Her One Eye, I prefer A Cruel Picture. I think Gunslinger here on the forum prefers They Call Her One Eye.

The reason I want you to watch that one the most is because when I think of exploitation cinema, my mind immediately goes to that film.

And look, if you don't want to watch any feel free to pass. It's not for everyone. I understand.

I do prefer They Call Her One Eye. While I think the cadaver eye scene in Thriller was pretty legendary, the uncut and XXX rated sex footage was unneeded.
This is an understandable opinion. For me, it just adds to the tone and visceral quality of the film.

I've bookmarked Pussycat and Thriller and queued Sex & Fury.
Cool man. Thanks for checking them out! Even if you end up not liking them.

I think you might like Pussycat the most of those. It's a very fun movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
My wet dreams play out more like Sex & Fury.

Reiko Ike's always worthy of a wet dream.