Enter The Void

Tools    

There's a lesbian scene in a strip club, I'm sold.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

It also mentions the Tibetan Book of the Dead, so I'm expecting it to be a hell lot trippier.
& what's a trip without loads of sex & nudity...

With Gasper Noe directing it, I have some decent expectations.. But I haven't seen any of his films besides Irreversible.. anyone familiar with his other works?

...anyone familiar with his other works?
Not me. After Irreversible I didn't bother searching out the rest of his films. I'll probably watch this, though. I've been hearing about it and the expectations it's bringing for a little while now.

This looks extremely similar to Irreversible stylistically. I don't know, it seems like it's retreading already covered ground. Movies that graphically depict people doing hard drugs for no reason other than to show people doing hard drugs get kind of old fast to me. Movies that take place in strip clubs also get boring after a while if the setting is just an excuse to have nude women dancing in the background of every shot. Movies with extreme violence also get boring for the most part if it is portrayed in a manner in which I think the violence is being shown for violence's sake. And Noe's not going to top the fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible.

There were a lot of cool visuals though, from what I could tell in the trailer--even though it was edited so much I could hardly see anything. It also seems to be getting good reviews, so I'll reserve judgment until I see it... but not in theaters.

I don't know if this movie will depict hard drug use like Requiem does and how it effects your body, but from the trailer it sure looks like there are at least a few scenes that bring that theme into the picture.

it seems like it's retreading already covered ground. Movies that graphically depict people doing hard drugs for no reason other than to show people doing hard drugs get kind of old fast to me. Movies that take place in strip clubs also get boring after a while if the setting is just an excuse to have nude women dancing in the background of every shot. Movies with extreme violence also get boring for the most part if it is portrayed in a manner in which I think the violence is being shown for violence's sake..
I really don't know how you got that from the trailer... I have seen a lot of drug related films... & I have never seen anything like that before..

Rarely is the Tibetan Book of Dead ever used in such films..
& I think this movie seems like it as much about death than drugs..

I really don't know how you got that from the trailer... I have seen a lot of drug related films... & I have never seen anything like that before..

Rarely is the Tibetan Book of Dead ever used in such films..
& I think this movie seems like it as much about death than drugs..
I'm not sure it's possible to really get anything from the trailer since it's basically a collection of provocative shots from the movie. But I'm just saying from what the trailer offers us, and it isn't much, I've seen this all before. We see first person shots of drug-taking, which has been done countless times, bright neon lights and a fast-moving city warped and turned trippy by drugs, which has been done countless times, moments of shocking violence, which has been done countless times, and noisy, exotically-lit scenes in night clubs and strip clubs with crowds of dancing people giving each other drugs, which has been done countless times.

I'm not really saying specifically that Noe will treat this subject matter in the way these other movies have, I'm just saying from the vague, shocking imagery the trailer gives us, this is my impression. There is not a single shot in the trailer of a scene that I could not see in a combination of movies like Bad Lieutenant, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, Party Monster, Killing Zoe, Requiem for a Dream, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and so many others I could keep listing.

All I'm saying is, I have also seen a lot of drug movies--in fact I can't think of one I haven't seen, as I used to enjoy these particular types of movies--and I have seen things like this before. If nowhere else, than in Irreversible, which has literally the exact same aesthetic qualities as this film.

I'm not saying any of this is bad. It's gotten great early reviews from what I can see, so I'm not judging the movie. I'm just saying this is subject matter that has been covered before, using techniques and tricks that have been used before. And just taking elements from the Tibetan Book of the Dead and making it somehow fit into all of this doesn't really make it completely unique.

If you want some massive VFX spoilers, HERE. I don't know why I watched it. Probably a dumb move, but if any other idiots want to participate, I'll be your enabler.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
God help anyone with photosensitive epilepsy, thats all I have to say.

Chicks dig Lord of the Rings, Randal
I don't know if this movie will depict hard drug use like Requiem does and how it effects your body, but from the trailer it sure looks like there are at least a few scenes that bring that theme into the picture.
If it's close to being as good as Requiem was, I'll definitely see it. Even though I could only watch Requiem once, just couldn't bring myself to watch it again.

the baby scene looks awesome. too bad you spoiled it for me!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Enter the Void is 5 minutes of trippy colours from 2001, then 3 hours of a camera floating above people while they do nothing.

Skip it.

Suspect's Reviews

VBS Has a Three Part Segment on Noe.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Enter the Void is 5 minutes of trippy colours from 2001, then 3 hours of a camera floating above people while they do nothing.
The times when the camera did float over people might have felt like three hours, but it was hardly the bulk of the film. There were plenty of complex and beautifully done flashback montages and "traditionally" shot scenes as well. And even the really uneventful floating sequences were still interesting to see in that few films exploit that technique in such an "intimate" way. Plus, all of the floating fed directly into the "plot" of the film, so it was absolutely "necessary" in that regard to make the film what it was meant to be.

Don't skip it. Try it. But keep an open mind and don't laugh at Noe just for pulling out all the stops.