A.I. - Kubrick or Spielberg?

Tools    

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Kubrick's film would have been better. Spielberg's wasn't really anything special. It wasn't nearly creepy enough, too many Spielberg family moments in the film, and worst of all that ugly brat kid that stared in it was horrible. They should have went with a no-named actor for the part, instead of Sixth Sense boy.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Originally Posted by Maniac
Exactly, I myself am Jewish and it is kind of offensive to hear someone say something like that.

If you didn't like the film that fine. But at least respect it, because it's in honor of the Jewish people who have lost their lives out of Hitler's hatred. And a wonderful man how saved us from him.
But Schindler's List is kinda boring, though I wouldn't call it crap, it's still boring. And I myself am not Jewish but I find it offensive that I should be expected to respect a film just because it speaks to a group of people regardless of how much I was bored by it. I'm sure you could call just about any film an honor or something or other. So yeah good story I reckon, but it's more an honor of Spielberg getting away with stuff other people wouldn't just because he is who he is and going for the shock card thrown in with the "have a kleenix near by" ace, formula tossed in to a blender. I've seen it twice now and have never understood the appeal. Check out Polanski's The Pianist, while a different story, still it deals with the same type of thing and period and is infinitely better. And Polanski actually lived through that hell so has all the right in the world to make a film about it, while Spielberg outside of being Jewish and being born closer in time to the actual events, had as much first hand experience himself with the holocaust as you or I.

I pretty much agree with luv2viddy.

I guess you have to be jewish to convince yourself Schindlers List is actually a good film. Just because the jews suffered by the nazis doesnt mean that any movie that's made about it is automatically considered great. The movie suffered from sloppy editing and many scenes were not needed and boring. And could the ending be a little bit more melodramatic and preachy? Watching the entire cast slowly putting stones in a pile is not my definition of great cinema.

Hmmm... Honestly I find that the Pianist is a differnelty made movie. The story is good, but I think Schindler's List was... a more touching event and seemed more...epic.

I was born jewish but soon after renounced religeon so both these films hit me in a different way. I find that The pianist had better acting had a more documentry - live feel to it. Schindlers list was a story accuratly told from an event. But Steve seemed to ooze from the movie with his "ending thoughs crap" on the vhs release.

Originally Posted by Crowchild85
Hmmm... Honestly I find that the Pianist is a differnelty made movie. The story is good, but I think Schindler's List was... a more touching event and seemed more...epic.

I was born jewish but soon after renounced religeon so both these films hit me in a different way. I find that The pianist had better acting had a more documentry - live feel to it. Schindlers list was a story accuratly told from an event. But Steve seemed to ooze from the movie with his "ending thoughs crap" on the vhs release.
Spielberg is awful just awful. I liked Catch Me If You Can and Minority Report, though slightly less.

But yeah Schindler's List WAS touching, in fact so much so that I would almost call it molesting the audience. Which was what he did with another movie I saw today, The Terminal... a big heap of steaming Spielberg dung.

Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms
But Schindler's List is kinda boring, though I wouldn't call it crap, it's still boring. And I myself am not Jewish but I find it offensive that I should be expected to respect a film just because it speaks to a group of people regardless of how much I was bored by it.

Polanski actually lived through that hell so has all the right in the world to make a film about it, while Spielberg outside of being Jewish and being born closer in time to the actual events, had as much first hand experience himself with the holocaust as you or I.
I am not Jewish also, I never said that anyone should Like the movie, I was talking about, how could a true, moving story, of real peoples experiences be boring.

I don't I agree that Polanski has more of a right to make movies about the Plight of the Jews, just because he lived it, if that is a reason to make movies, there won't be many made. Maybe he should make his next movie about child molestation.

I worked for years with People suffering from Schizophrenia, I do not have to have the illness to understand the emotional pain it causes.

Originally Posted by nebbit
how could a true, moving story, of real peoples experiences be boring.
(
The only moving part of Schindlers List was me moving away from the screen. A true story about real people does not deem a story entertaining. I took a crap the other day, does than mean a 30 minute movie of me pinching a hot loaf is exciting because its a true story about a real person?

Maybe Spielberg should do a movie about tricking most of society that he's a genius director while birthing such monstrosities as Hook, ET, Jurassic Park 2, Amistad, 1941, and of course Schindlers List.

Originally Posted by Hellraiser
The only moving part of Schindlers List was me moving away from the screen. A true story about real people does not deem a story entertaining. I took a crap the other day, does than mean a 30 minute movie of me pinching a hot loaf is exciting because its a true story about a real person?
You seem as if you don't have a compassionate bone in your body, woo be the person that ends up your crappy self.

Maybe Spielberg should do a movie about tricking most of society that he's a genius director while birthing such monstrosities as Hook, ET, Jurassic Park 2, Amistad, 1941, and of course Schindlers List.
what a bout the indiana jones trilogy? or duel or jaws, catch me if you can

you still haven't explained the reason why you think it's crap....

Originally Posted by nebbit
You seem as if you don't have a compassionate bone in your body, woo be the person that ends up your crappy self.
Now I am a uncompassionate crappy person because I dont like bad movies?? It figures you would resort to name calling as you're defending a house of cards. Why don't you just create a string entitled "Boring movies I like that everyone must agree upon", you emotionally starving filmwhore.

Originally Posted by susan
what a bout the indiana jones trilogy? or duel or jaws, catch me if you can

you still haven't explained the reason why you think it's crap....

If you read this entire string you would have seen that I indeed thought Spielberg made an occasional good film. Private Ryan and Jaws was great, and Catch me if you can and Duel was good.

But for the few good films he made there is a heap of crap. I definately do not think Spielberg is the best director or even one of the best. Yet people always refer to him in awe. If a great director comes around people say "Hes the next Spielberg" like that means something. Next time someone says that I'd like to kick it clockwork Orange style on their ass and strap them to a chair and force them to watch Hook, Always, 1941, Jurrasic Park 2, and Schindlers List back to back and see how long they last before they start screaming for mercy.

PS The critics are saying Spielbergs latest movie, the Terminal, is another example of the crap heap.

Now I am a uncompassionate crappy person because I dont like bad movies?? It figures you would resort to name calling as you're defending a house of cards. Why don't you just create a string entitled "Boring movies I like that everyone must agree upon", you emotionally starving filmwhore.
Now don't get upset, if you feel I have offended you I am sorry, You are missing my point completly, I never once said you should Like the movie I was talking about the story, If you look back as you have advised Susan, you sill see I never once said you had to like this movie, all I said was, how could a despicable story about what the Nazi's did to the jews be boring, it is appalling, this is my last word if your still are missing my point so be it.

Nebbit you never said directly I had to like this movie. What you said is that if you dont like this movie you are a appalling crappy person. Oh the irony.

Regardless of your gestapo outlook, Schindlers List is a boring, melodramatic, preachy film that could have used about half of it on the cutting room floor. The film being based on truth does not change this fact. Its just another example of Spielbergs crap.

If you read this entire string you would have seen that I indeed thought Spielberg made an occasional good film. Private Ryan and Jaws was great, and Catch me if you can and Duel was good.

But for the few good films he made there is a heap of crap. I definately do not think Spielberg is the best director or even one of the best. Yet people always refer to him in awe. If a great director comes around people say "Hes the next Spielberg" like that means something. Next time someone says that I'd like to kick it clockwork Orange style on their ass and strap them to a chair and force them to watch Hook, Always, 1941, Jurrasic Park 2, and Schindlers List back to back and see how long they last before they start screaming for mercy.

PS The critics are saying Spielbergs latest movie, the Terminal, is another example of the crap heap.
actually i did read the whole thread and i'm sorry that i didn't remember what you said when i wrote it

i loved hook..sorry...i may have been the only one, but i thought it was a clever idea and i was sorry i didn't come up with plot..

1941 and jurrasic park 2 i'd have to agree with, but each director is entitled to a few mistakes as they are human beings

always was a cute film and one of my husband's favorites....i love richard dryfuss and audrey hepburn, holly hunter, and john goodman were just as great...

and i've seen the terminal and i really didn't think it was as bad as the critics are making it out to be..sure it isn't oscar material, but tom hanks did a fine job as victor navarsky (spelling)..let me tell you it w as a hell of a better performance than the mess he made in the ladykillers

anyway, back t o schindler's list...it w as the only movie that spielberg ever won an oscar for a nd it was a labor of love for him..it was the only movie that i found (along with the pianist) that showed the holocaust the way it truly was..that little girl in the red dress was a standout and made me cry everytime i saw her..in fact when i came out of there, my face w as a mess as i cried throughout the film

i just don't understand the points you make about this film being crap

and please be respectful of other's people's feelings and opinions..this after all is a place where we all want to be friends...not enemies...

thanks

The only moving part of Schindlers List was me moving away from the screen. A true story about real people does not deem a story entertaining.
No, a true story about real people does not always deem the story entertaining… however, a true story can be enlightening… which is what I believe Schindler’s List was meant to be… and I’m sorry, but for the life of me, I fail to see how anything dealing with the holocaust could be expected to be entertaining in the first place…

I took a crap the other day, does than mean a 30 minute movie of me pinching a hot loaf is exciting because its a true story about a real person?
Hmmm… I don’t know… the act itself wouldn’t be entertaining… but if say, when you flushed… it blew back in your face, there is the greatest of possibilities that that might have a slight entertainment value…

Anyway, it is a rather poor analogy…

I see, so nebbit is a COMPLETE imbecile.

No, Nebbit is not an imbecile nor is she a filmwhore… What she said was that you were a crappy person if you had no compassion for the real people involved… not the movie… there is a difference…

From reading this thread, I personally think this whole thing is just a misunderstanding due to miscommunications… or at least I hope it is. However, I would remind everyone that personal attacks are not tolerated in this forum… and childish name calling is uncalled for period. If you have a problem with a post, you have several options: 1) Use the “report this post” feature located on the top right corner of each post; 2) PM the Administrator - Yoda… or one of the moderators - Silver Bullet, Sir Toose, or myself.

I have deleted several posts in this thread because they were only adding more fuel on the fire... I hope the people involved can apologize and move this discussion back to the original topic...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

As much as I surprise myself by saying this, I adore A.I., although I do believe my overall opinion of the film is skewed by how emotionally resonant the ending was.

I likely would have loved A.I. for different reasons had Kubrick directed it. As it is, I thought it was a beautiful and poignant fairy tale, with some striking visuals. The film recieved luke-warm reviews, but I must fully disagree. The movie gets better every time I watch it. Definitely Spielberg's best.

Originally Posted by iluv2viddyfilms
Kubrick's film would have been better. Spielberg's wasn't really anything special. It wasn't nearly creepy enough, too many Spielberg family moments in the film, and worst of all that ugly brat kid that stared in it was horrible. They should have went with a no-named actor for the part, instead of Sixth Sense boy.

Are you insane? Haley Joel Osment gave easily one of the best child perforamnces I've ever seen, if not THE best.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
No, a true story about real people does not always deem the story entertaining… however, a true story can be enlightening… which is what I believe Schindler’s List was meant to be… and I’m sorry, but for the life of me, I fail to see how anything dealing with the holocaust could be expected to be entertaining in the first place…
Well at least we are on the same page that Schindlers List is not an entertaining film.

Hmmm… I don’t know… the act itself wouldn’t be entertaining… but if say, when you flushed… it blew back in your face, there is the greatest of possibilities that that might have a slight entertainment value…
Do you kiss your mother with that mouth??

Anyway, it is a rather poor analogy…
It was a successful anthology showing how a movie about true people doing real things does not deem a movie as being good.

No, Nebbit is not an imbecile nor is she a filmwhore… What she said was that you were a crappy person if you had no compassion for the real people involved… not the movie… there is a difference…
Read it again sweetheart. I never said I had no compassion for the jews in the halocaust, only that I had no respect for Schindlers List. But Nebbit sure didn't hold back on saying I am a crappy person. Your revisionist history would make the nazis proud.

However, I would remind everyone that personal attacks are not tolerated in this forum… and childish name calling is uncalled for period.
This from the woman who said my own crap ricocheting across my face would be entertaining.

I have deleted several posts in this thread because they were only adding more fuel on the fire...
The Gestapo would be proud. They too enjoyed censorship.

Congratulations on trying to spin this sitatuation into one were I am a bad person for not liking the boring melodrama that is Schindlers List.

Originally Posted by susan

i loved hook..sorry...i may have been the only one, but i thought it was a clever idea and i was sorry i didn't come up with plot..

anyway, back t o schindler's list...it w as the only movie that spielberg ever won an oscar for a nd it was a labor of love for him..it was the only movie that i found (along with the pianist) that showed the holocaust the way it truly was..that little girl in the red dress was a standout and made me cry everytime i saw her..in fact when i came out of there, my face w as a mess as i cried throughout the film

i just don't understand the points you make about this film being crap

and please be respectful of other's people's feelings and opinions..this after all is a place where we all want to be friends...not enemies...

thanks
Well clearly we are on a different page with the work of Spielberg. I found Hook to be ridiculously childish. Robin Williams in green tights, good lord. The kid actors annoyed me, especially that rufferio twerp. And the end with the stuffed croc somehow eating hook was just silly and confusing to me.

Back to Schindlers List, first off an oscar nod does not make a movie good in my book. I could probably write a 3 page list of oscar winning movies that are garbage in my eyes. Schindlers Lists main error was sloppy editing. There were many scenes I could list offhand that did not advance the story, nor make the story interesting. I had to watch this film twice because the first time I watched it I was so bored I feel asleep. How many hours do you have to watch jews being tortured before it becomes redundant?? What many people found to be deeply moving and enlightening, I saw as cheesy and melodramatic Spielberg exploitation. And the end with the entire cast quietly putting stones in a pile just topped it off for me.

Any reason this thread was moved from general movie discussion?