TokeZa's Top 100 Movies through Space and Time

→ in
Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Have to watch it along with the rest of Sokurov filmography!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

84. The Conversation (1974) by Francis Ford Coppola

Probably the greatest paranoia thriller of the 70's starring the impeccable Gene Hackman. Very well told story with a nice plot-twist and character development.

83. Chungking Express (1994) by Wong Kar-wai

Chungking Express consists of two stories, both revolving around a relationship. The movie is delightfully vibrant and bears similarities with The French New Wave. This is my favorite Wong Kar-wai film, while In The Mood for Love might be a better film, i connected a lot more with this one.

82. White Material (2009) by Claire Denis

A bit better than her acclaimed film Beau Travail. Claire Denis revisits Africa during an erupting civil war. Isabelle Huppert puts on an amazing act as a struggling mother as well as coffee producer, during the shadows of war. Beautiful imagery combined with a great soundtrack and a rich story, makes this movie one of my top choices for 2009. Michael J. Andersson from Tativille describes White Material very well: "White Material filters its narrative through a shifting interiority and shuffled temporality that affects its nightmarish portrait of post-colonial Africa, where DJ's call for revolt against the continent's remaining whites and child-soldiers sport firearms and machetes."

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
83. Chungking Express (1994) by Wong Kar-wai

Chungking Express consists of two stories, both revolving around a relationship. The movie is delightfully vibrant and bears similarities with The French New Wave. This is my favorite Wong Kar-wai film, while In The Mood for Love might be a better film, i connected a lot more with this one.
The way I see Wong Kar-Wai, his most perfect film is In the Mood for Love, and by a considerable margin. The thing is, the reason I love Wong isn't because of his perfection, it's because of the delightful, scattered, and melancholic moments that fill his films an in some cases make them pretty uneven. I'll always give people In the Mood for Love as a great film and great introduction to Wong, but my favorite is definitely Days of Being Wild.

I forced myself to watch Djanjo by Sergio Corbucci (1966) with the anticipation of its reputation as a spaghetti western. I was surprised however, to the technical quality of this film and how accurate the studio props were utilized. The costumes and makeup were way above average. The light and shadow movements were also well done. It has a good visual affect. This movie reminds me of American Midnight movies, like Eraser-Head or the Pink Flamingos.

The way I see Wong Kar-Wai, his most perfect film is In the Mood for Love, and by a considerable margin. The thing is, the reason I love Wong isn't because of his perfection, it's because of the delightful, scattered, and melancholic moments that fill his films an in some cases make them pretty uneven. I'll always give people In the Mood for Love as a great film and great introduction to Wong, but my favorite is definitely Days of Being Wild.
Very nice thoughts, you should do some reviews at some point!

Days of being Wild was the first movie i saw by Wong, sadly it didn't leave a lasting impression, so i will have to rewatch it at some point. Ive seen In the Mood for Love twice this year and as you say its probably his most perfect film. Without being able to explain it better, i can only say i have a hard time connecting with the film. Though it is certainly an impressive movie.

I forced myself to watch Djanjo by Sergio Corbucci (1966) with the anticipation of its reputation as a spaghetti western. I was surprised however, to the technical quality of this film and how accurate the studio props were utilized. The costumes and makeup were way above average. The light and shadow movements were also well done. It has a good visual affect. This movie reminds me of American Midnight movies, like Eraser-Head or the Pink Flamingos.
Im glad you liked it! Obviously you should also check out Sergio Leones movies!

I have completely forgotten about Pink Flamingos, one of my favorite guilty pleasures

I often find myself returning to Michael J. Anderson's Ten Best Films blog, and it seems that you have taken some cues from him as well. Days of Being Wild is his favourite Wong film.

I often find myself returning to Michael J. Anderson's Ten Best Films blog, and it seems that you have taken some cues from him as well. Days of Being Wild is his favourite Wong film.
Its definitely tativille and Ten Best Film blog that have influenced my film viewings most in recent times (Besides movie forums). 1½ year ago i would mostly watch horror movies!

Its definitely tativille and Ten Best Film blog that have influenced my film viewings most in recent times (Besides movie forums). 1½ year ago i would mostly watch horror movies!
Both Tativille and Ten Best Films are great sites, I found them after watching Tati's amazing Playtime and poking around on the internet. They're great resources for exploring older films especially. Silent Ozu is much less written about than postwar Ozu, and Ten Best Films led me to Woman of Tokyo, which I found just as moving as a postwar Ozu film though it was looser and less distinctive in style than the later period. As for the more recent films on his lists, I really wish I had access to more Hou Hsiao-Hsien! I was able to see The Puppetmaster on VHS through my school, but it's difficult to find his films, especially A City of Sadness, which by most accounts is his best.

Both Tativille and Ten Best Films are great sites, I found them after watching Tati's amazing Playtime and poking around on the internet. They're great resources for exploring older films especially. Silent Ozu is much less written about than postwar Ozu, and Ten Best Films led me to Woman of Tokyo, which I found just as moving as a postwar Ozu film though it was looser and less distinctive in style than the later period. As for the more recent films on his lists, I really wish I had access to more Hou Hsiao-Hsien! I was able to see The Puppetmaster on VHS through my school, but it's difficult to find his films, especially A City of Sadness, which by most accounts is his best.
Unless you want to shell out 65$+ for a used dvd, i would go for filesharing. In this case the movie is so absurdly rare.

Unless you want to shell out 65$+ for a used dvd, i would go for filesharing. In this case the movie is so absurdly rare.
Yeah, I told my family I was looking for a copy for Christmas if they could find it at a reasonable price. I can't (or at least don't want to risk) torrenting/filesharing on my school's wifi, and all of the local cafes have very slow connections. One day I will see it!

I can't (or at least don't want to risk) torrenting/filesharing on my school's wifi
There's ways around this, but that's all I'll say. Investigate!

It's odd hearing someone say A City of Sadness is "so absurdly rare."

Also, great list so far, Tokeza.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

81. The Terminator (1984) by James Cameron

Another childhood favorite of mine and in my roommates top 5 movies of all time we have the Terminator by James Cameron. One of the best action movies of all-time.