Recent CGI Movies: Adults and Teens only...

Tools    

Recent CGI Movies: Adults and Teens only...
By Darcy Starr

Over the last couple of years the movie industry has been producing more and more CGI generated movies. Movies like Antz, Shrek series, Toy story series, and Finding nemo.

Alott of people including me, have noticed that most of these CGI movies are aimed at a younger audience. But the real truth is the often should have been aimed at much older viewers. Recent movies like Shrek 2, and Shrek tale are examples of movies that need to viewed not by small children, but adults and teens who have watched more movies and know what the spoofs mean. Lets take a look at some recent GCI generated movies...

Antz (1998)

This moive was a quiet hit, but it still is a good movie to watch. The characters were well developed and coordinated. However this movie is meant for a mature audience than the younger viewers that mostly watched. The rating was PG, but it should have rated PG14 or higher. There are alot of relationship scenes that most youngsters would not know how to interpret.

Shrek 1 and 2 (01, 04)

The bloack buster hit of Shrek 2 is another example of a movie intended for mature audiences. Most young ones would not know many of the spoofs and conflicts in this movie. There also language that they woudn't underst and. This movie was rated at meager PG, it should have been PG14 or higher. I hope Shrek 3 is given a higher rating...

Shark Tale (2004)

Dreamworks rebaging of finding Nemo is an uncertain hit. It's many references to the hip hop/gang culture and many spoofs on Godfather, Sapranos is much more advanced than the target age group. This movie should have definetly been given a PG14 for it's mild crude humor. Many adults that i've met who have seen the movie with there kids have said "I laughed at the movie than my kids did" A sad comment for a movie that was supposed to be for younger viewers.

End.

My opinion is stated: I want all GCI movies that have crude humor, spoofs and mild language to be aimed at mature audiences. Not younger ones. PG14 is the ideal rating for some of these movies. Many people would agree that this would be better for the viewers and would curb some dissapointments...

-starrdarcy

yea, i see wat you're sayin. after seeing star wars episode 2, watching jango fett get decapitated, i was like, "wtf! pg my ass!"

I wonder what happened to the pics??? Oh, good coment...

i have to disagree. the CGI movies are not based towards a certain age group, but to the whole family. this past summer i was a camp counselor for 3 and 4 year olds they all were obsessed with shrek 2. the little kids like shrek 2 for the cartoonish feel and fun characters and us older people like it for the more mature jokes. thats the differance between these CGI movies and some of the recent cartoon disney movies that are based solely for kids, CGI is good for everyone.

(oh, and you missing the possibly two biggest CGI movies, Toy Story and Toy Story 2)

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
I agree that although they are primarily children's films they have many points that only adults or maturer people would understand. But children aren't lookin to understand the film, they're looking for silly things, bright colours and amusing characters so i dont think it matters that they wont get it. Film makers are still trying to keep their integrity and putting in spoof bits that older people will understand, dealing with mature feelings etc

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
I agree that although they are primarily children's films they have many points that only adults or maturer people would understand. But children aren't lookin to understand the film, they're looking for silly things, bright colours and amusing characters so i dont think it matters that they wont get it. Film makers are still trying to keep their integrity and putting in spoof bits that older people will understand, dealing with mature feelings etc
Absolutely correct. You've got to give the daddies and mommies something so they won't die of boredom…

Perhaps DW/Pixar could raise the ratings to discourage families frojm movies like shrek and shark tale in the future. It would sure be nice instead of having to sit beside disspaointed children...

Randomly visiting for now
When I saw shrek 2 and Toy story 2, the cinema was full of mostly kids and they all seemed to enjoy it, sure they didn't get all the jokes but they really didn't need them to enjoy it. Whereas we older viewers did, so I think Pixar/DW are just broadening their horizons.

Disappointed children
That must of been a tough crowd of kids who were there. The're aimed at being family movies, sure a PG13 rating would keep out the little kids but then the parents wouldn't go either and the movie company wouldn't like that. We can debate all we like about changing the rating to suit our needs but the kids still need good movies and the parents still need to like the move at least a little and lastly the movie companies need to sell lots of tickets, to make more money, to make better CGI films in the future. WHew

There's a lot of needs there, we've still got all our great movies genre's why can't we leave the CGI's as G rated family movies? I mean everyone still saw the movies didn't they?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by starrdarcy
Perhaps DW/Pixar could raise the ratings to discourage families frojm movies like shrek and shark tale in the future. It would sure be nice instead of having to sit beside disspaointed children...
I'm sitting here smiling at how a few scenes from each movie (designed, of course, to fly over the heads of the kiddies and stop the parents from nodding off) could turn them into 'adult' films.

Is this because you're a teenager who is embarrassed that your favourite movie is a kid's picture?

Don't be.

I like the idea of them appealing to adults and children, I wouldn't change a thing

Some the CGI movies should be more specific, like children and kids movies...

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell Abbott 66-04
I went to see Sherk 2 with my little cousins last week at the dollar theatre. They're both 8 and 5. I enjoyed the movie. It had enough jokes to keep me interested and the kids enjoyed it too. I like what they're doin. It makes it interesting for the parents, brothers, sisters, counsins etc, who get drug to these movies with the kids. The kids loved it and I liked it too. So I'd keep the rating at PG for the sake of people being able to see movies with their kids without falling asleep.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by undead_bunny
I went to see Sherk 2 with my little cousins last week at the dollar theatre. They're both 8 and 5. I enjoyed the movie. It had enough jokes to keep me interested and the kids enjoyed it too. I like what they're doin. It makes it interesting for the parents, brothers, sisters, counsins etc, who get drug to these movies with the kids. The kids loved it and I liked it too. So I'd keep the rating at PG for the sake of people being able to see movies with their kids without falling asleep.
Precisely.

I just don't see a problem in it all. Yeah, more CGI movie will become more adult oriented in language and possibly in mature themes, but the kids are young enough not to understand it and just be dazzled by "all the pretty colours" and the adults would get the general humour... And who really takes the movie content ratings earnestly, it's all a messed up joke. Seriously, who gives a flying f--- about it.

I do think CGI movies should be more adult oriented. Diablo thinks it doesnt matter, but i do. Many parents might not want their kids to now about certain language and themes...

I do think CGI movies should be more adult oriented. Diablo thinks it doesnt matter, but i do. Many parents might not want their kids to now about certain language and themes...
Then why don't they just not take them to the move? If they were that concerned they'd probally look up what the movie contained. Plus, when a movie's PG for language it usually says so under the PG symbol thingy under the rating.

Originally Posted by undead_bunny
Then why don't they just not take them to the move? If they were that concerned they'd probally look up what the movie contained. Plus, when a movie's PG for language it usually says so under the PG symbol thingy under the rating.
True. I really don't like seeing little kids going to Shark tale and Shrek 2 if they can't understand the spoofs and the language used. I think the rating should be put up to discourage parents bringing their younger ones to these movies...

True. I really don't like seeing little kids going to Shark tale and Shrek 2 if they can't understand the spoofs and the language used. I think the rating should be put up to discourage parents bringing their younger ones to these movies...
I see your point but still, the kids are too busy looking at how funny Donkey looks than paying attention to the dialouge. I asked my 5 year cousin what she thought about the movie and she said. "Donkey's funny!" so I went on to my 8 year old cousin and asked her what she thought of the movie. To which she replied. "Donkey's cute and the movie was funny." So they really don't pay attention to the dialouge too much. They don't care if Donkey says "ass" five times, they just want to see him trip over a rock. Kids don't rember much except the basic outline of the movie. Don't worry about it so much.

I guess a movie CAN please everyone.
I did talk with several kids inbetween the ages of 5-10 and found out that the majority of them never figured out the spoofs of the movie. And some of them didn't understand the jokes and language. I geuss lokking at big dumb ogres and stupid donkeys is enough to please them..