Your partner, Hsb, wife etc, their top 10 most interesting movies

Tools    

My Husband has listed his top 10 most interesting movies, what do people think and does your partner etc have a top ten.

Robert the non-Movie Nerd:

Top 10 List of Interesting Movies

1. Gumshoe

An ultimately failed attempt to transpose Raymond Chandler on Liverpool, this affectionate tribute by Director Steven Frears [My Beautiful Laundrette] is littered with star turns and gems including Albert Finney, Maureen Lipman and Fulton Mackay – the latter’s performance on its own is worth going to see. And don’t forget Billy Whitelaw, the leading exponent of Beckett’s plays. To add to the reward, the score is by the then unknown duo of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice.

2. The 12 Chairs

Mel Brooks’ second and most unknown movie. A complete turn-around from the regulation corn, pratfalls and farce fare that was to follow, it is mellow, restrained and even ironic.

3. Where Does It hurt?

A movie by Peter Sellers so bad it has a dreadful fascination and becomes a compelling testimony to the self-destruction of his career. Harold Gould, as ever, reliable.

4. Stardust Memories

What can you say? In B&W, with some very interesting women in bit parts, and the hugely under-appreciated Jessica Harper, this film displays an unusual degree of introspection [as opposed to the usual deceptions] for Allen’s movies. And in many ways, hugely prescient of the Post-Mia ructions.

5. The Spider’s Stratagem

Everyone know Bertolucci’s Last Tango, but this lovingly crafted movie about a man who returns to his home in Sienna to confront the men who betrayed his father during the war is a dazzling tribute to the director’s art. The plot is subtle but absorbing, the editing allows us to linger but not for one moment longer than necessary, and the colours of Sienna are never more truly rendered. Could be used as a travel advertisement.

6. Desperately Seeking Susan

The only good movie Madonna will ever make, for the simple reason that she doesn’t have to act. It ruined the career of Rosanna Arquette, but there is more, much more, to this film.

7. Little Murders

Bizarre, unreal, even disastrous at times, Jules Feiffer’s script has a surprising resonance. And watch Vince Gardenia: did he ever make a bad movie?

8. This Sporting Life

Directed by Lindsay Anderson, shot in grainy B&W, starring Richard Harris in his first movie, littered with cameo roles by Brit stars who were to become household names, this movie spun off the Angry Young Men genre. Watch for Glenda Jackson.

9. Night Shift

With Michael Keaton, Henry Winkler and Shelley Long, this movie does not display its age. Forget Keaton and Long, this is primarily a vehicle for Winkler’s talent and shows what he could have gone on to if he had not been drowned by the Fonz.

10. Abel Gance’s Napoleon

If you want to watch one classic silent movie to understand how an art form is defined, this is as good as any. It was rescued and rehabilitated in the eighties, playing round the world with an orchestra to provide the soundtrack. You won’t get the live music now, but watch it on a big screen. Unforgettable.

My special lady friend loves...
  • King of Hearts (1966 - Philippe de Broca)
    Darkly comic satire with heartfelt characters, Alan Bates is fantastic, and just as touching and relevant today as it was nearly forty years ago.
  • The Last Waltz (1978 - Marty Scorsese)
    Her favortie band playing her favorite music in the best rock and roll concert documentary ever made. She always heeds the "The Film Should Be Played Loud" instruction card the begins the film.
  • Jules & Jim (1961 - Francois Truffaut)
    Ah, young love. Her favorite from both Truffaut and the French New Wave, a filmmaker and a style she adores and connects with.
  • Don't Look Now (1973 - Nicolas Roeg)
    Her favorite "scary movie", because of the Venice locations, Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland and the haunting central image of their dead daughter in a little red raincoat. Creepy stuff, and so very well done.
  • To Kill A Mockingbird (1962 - Robert Mulligan)
    Brings an emotional impact every time, especially the closing argument & verdict of the trial and Boo saving the day. Gregory Peck simply is Atticus Finch, the father we all wish we had (even those of us with great ones of our own).
  • Singin' in the Rain (1952 - Stanley Donen & Gene Kelly)
    The best feel-good movie ever made, with the effortlessly athletic, graceful and charming Gene Kelly at his very best. What's not to love? It's Singin' in the Rain fer cripe's sake. 'Nuff said.
  • Bringing Up Baby (1938 - Howard Hawks)
    Two of her all-time favorite actors, Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn, at their screwball best. She's probably seen this movie or parts of it at least thirty times over the years, and even knowing each beat and each line delivery by heart, seeing it is a total blast again every single time.
  • The Wild Bunch (1969 - Sam Peckinpah)
    She loves the epic poetry of Bloody Sam's masterpiece, best embodied by William Holden as the leader of these outlaws who have lived beyond their guns and know it.
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962 - David Lean)
    The greatest "big" movie ever made, an epic that sweeps her off her feet everytime she sees it - though she tries to limit herself to big screen viewings, as even letterboxed on a good TV set it's something she almost exlusively wants to experience cinematically.
  • Zorba the Greek (1964 - Michael Cacoyannis)
    A great adaptation of one of her favorite novels, with Alan Bates and especially Anthony Quinn bringing such life and humanity to those characters.

How could I be anything but madly in love with this woman?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I don't know what's more lovely - that she has such great taste, or that she's found someone who can appreciate it.

Not a top ten list, but my kitty can't see Kevin Kline on screen without going over to the tv and touching his image.

I don't know what's more lovely - that she has such great taste, or that she's found someone who can appreciate it.

awwww

My boyfriend can't come up with 10 favorites because he has so many he really likes.
So in no particular order here a few:
Taxi Driver
Nixon
Dead Man Walking
Untouchables
Bowling For Columbine
Fahrenheit 9/11

history *is* moralizing
why dya think i watch 2 movies every night? if i had a girlfriend or a wife, i'd do something else, at least 3 times a week.........

The People's Republic of Clogher
The ex Mrs Tacitus' favourite movie was The Big Blue.

Says it all really.

Originally Posted by susan
okay rob's favorites

mystery men
phantom
clockwork orange
o lucky man
fifth element
demolition man
die hard
star wars
total recall
vertigo
Interesting, a bit of everything

history *is* moralizing
"Originally Posted by chicagofrog
yeah, my ex dumped me cuz i hadn't seen Casablanca............ "

Nebbit: "And so she should"

Nebbit, i LUV YA! (i know you're married but hey, love is blind like a frog! hehe...)

My girlfriend is so easy to please when it comes to movies, hmm other things too, but we will talk about the movies. Here is a fav list from her:

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Just about all Steven Segal Movies pre-2000
3. Van Helsing
4. Road House
5. Dirty Dancing
6. Footloose
7. Spiderman 1 & 2
8. Xmen 1 & 2

She is so impulsive when it comes to movies. She wants to see most everything to give it a chance and there are few movies she actually hates. I know she does not like modern day war movies, but she enjoys things like Braveheart and Troy. She told me she did not see many movies growing up due to a strict upbringing so she has to catch up. She is like a little kid when it comes to movies which is great. Keeps me young.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
Nebbit, i LUV YA! (i know you're married but hey, love is blind like a frog! hehe...)
So love isn't blind go here http://www.movieforums.com/community...ead.php?t=7361 to see pictures of me who is probably old enough to be your granny

Randomly visiting for now
My girlfriend likes all these silly movies, that I really dislike but at least we have something to talk about

1. Happy Gilmore (jokes get old too fast for me)
2. Baseketball (was funny when I was like 12)
3. Shawshank Redemption (ok this one's ok but almost everyone liked this movie)
4. Himalaya (I haven't seen it yet, so it could be good I s'pose")
5. Honey (I think she pretends she likes this one to piss me off cause I hate it soooo much, it's too predictable and the storyline is really bad)

She's not here right now so I can't get any more soz. She's not really into movies anyway but she liked Butterfly Effect when I went to see it with her, but that could have been cause I went on about how much I liked it . Cool thread btw

history *is* moralizing
Hei, Nebbit, you do look HOT!!!! :-)
and Spooky, "My girlfriend likes all these silly movies: Baseketball (was funny when I was like 12)", ...
you're sure yr girlfriend is NOT 12?? hehe ;-)