Spider-man 2 Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

I ate all your bees.
Arrrg....Evil Orange Text....Hard to Read....Eyes Straining....

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
I suppose with all the mega hype, who could guess what people were expecting? I thought it did really well in my book, despite the prior expectations too. That was hard to beat but they did it! No doubt Spider-Man 1 was good, but 2 was better in ways... built a little more on Parker's character. And I liked that they fleshed out his character. Which is a little rare for comic superhero movies.

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."

My List of Favorite Super Hero Movies in Order
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Batman
3. Batman Returns
4. Donnie Darko
5. X2
6. SuperMan
7. Spider-Man
8. Van Helsing
9. X-Men
10. DareDevil

Spider-Man 2 is way better then i thought.

I never realy considered "Donni Darko" to be a super hero movie but i suppose it is.

Here's my top 5 in order,

1. Spider-man 2
2. Spider-man
3. Donnie Darko
4. Unbreakable
5. X2

And I do think that Spidey 2 was underestimated and better than it's awesome predessesor.

#1 Canadian Haylie Duff Fan
I think that Spiderman 2 was the best movie of the year. It's definetely gonna get some serious nominations at the Academy Awards. This was the best fight scene between Spidey and Doc Ock i've seen since the first movie. 5 and 1/2 stars out of 5 for SpiderMan 2. Like Will Ferrell qoutes in Old School "That's awesome, man!"

Sam
Woody is me but Sam is my name
hey guys... I wanna tell you something that i noticed towards the end of the film.. MJ ( Mary Jane), when she is tied up and it is raining... you get to see her lovely rounds nipples ( god i wished i touched em ) what do you GUYS think? like em or not?

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
Didn't she already show them off in Spider-Man 1 (the upside-down kiss scene)? She must either be obsessed with her nipples, or she doesn't know how to use a bra.

Sam
Woody is me but Sam is my name
lol, does not know how to use a bra... but the nips a C00L

Lets put a smile on that block
i noticed some bizarre things during this film....

Let me apologise if any of these have all ready been mentioned, if they have, tell me rudely and i shall run away.

Firstly, did anyone notice the scar on Tobey Maguires (sp?) face? It was on his right cheek i think. The weird thing about it is that its in the shape of a 2! Sometimes it looks like an S but it looks like a little number 2 on his cheek most of the time, i havnt noticed this in the last film, bizarre huh? i just couldnt stop staring at it. i think someone told me they read he said its just an old scar and its just a coincidence...that may have been a dream though....why i would dream about that...who knows.

Secondly, with all the mention of Peters Uncle Ben popping up throughout the film, it made me very hungry. Over here in the Uk we have a food company called Uncle Bens, they make rice, stir fry sauces etc. The packaging has the face of a beaming old black man with white hair on the front, smiling at his customers, and whenever the mention of "Uncle Ben" came up in the film, all i could envisage was that nice old african-American man smiling at Peter serving him Rice and Sweet and Sour Chicken....

Did anyone else have this problem?

"I'm Different, Punch Me I Bleed"
Spider-man 2 was a great flick, I have seen it a grand total of 3 times in the movie theature. I am sad to say I havn't beat my record for Spider-man 1 that I saw 5 times in the theature. So I have to go see it three more times hehe. But I will write a review for this someday in my Review Thread, But really great movie. On my top 25 list that I am going to make someday hehe.

- speXedy

Spider-man 2 rocked. I couldn't wait to see the thing. When I saw the thing I was AMAZED! It was better than the first. It always will be.

Originally Posted by poeman
THERE ARE MILD SPOILERS NOTHING SERIOUS i had written this last night after my screening. so i know all of you will watch this movie because it is the best summer movie this year

SPIDER-MAN 2

Plot: Peter Parker's having a rough time. His double life as the superhero Spider-Man is having a devastating impact on his civilian life. Things are so bad he declares that he's quitting, and never putting on the suit again. However, his sense of duty forces him to become a hero again when the brilliant scientist Dr. Otto Octavius is deformed in an accident and becomes Dr. Octopus. With four metal tentacles sticking out of his back, he'll prove to be a more than worthy opponent for Spider-Man.

Review
Here's my thought!: Allright you guys i just got back and im achy and tired. and energetic so bare with me.

The question, What is a hero? has surfaced many times in films I have seen and finally i saw it in the portrayal of this superhero. This movie is without a doubt the one film of this year that has the full package. It never dissapointed. I was left hanging for more.
I arrived at my screening 3 hours in advance and found out a line was almost 1 block long!. WTF. well i made through it standing in the scorching nyc sun and got my seat in the center of the theater with the stereos centered on me. Enough of me.

The movie starts of with Peter Parker going back to doing what he does best. That is, be our friendly neighborhood spider-man.
This time around the movie shows more hardships and struggles that peter has gone through. I really felt for this guy. Everyone wants to be Spider-man, but no one wants to be Peter Parker.

Peter is trying to survive his life as many of you know doing his duties as Spider-man and go to school, work, and pay the rent.
This time around i guarntee there will be more of the connection with people and peter parker. Everywhere he goes he ends up getting something bad happen to him. So much goes wrong with Peter Parker and the result we all no is him quoting "Spider-man no more". i love what becomes of this, this is the realization Peter gets which are you have to make sacfrices even if it is your dream to do the right thing in this world.
Remember this, because it is what makes our main character stronger.
Eventually Peter becomes Spider-man again because there is a villian around. Doctor Octupus. He is terrorizing the town to do what he wants. He wants to accomplish 'HIS dream'. i wont say just find out. when you watch.

Time for the goodies
This movie was a blast. i enjoyed EACH AND EVERY MOMENT Spider-man and Dr.Ock were on screen. Man the scenes that come to mind right away are.
*** Brief Spoiler of locations of confrontations***
1) Spider-man and Dr.Ock at the bank and how it leads up to the top of this building. this is the best action part of the movie. really my heart was going "dum dum" Heart pounding action. Back and forth they went.
2) Spider-man and dr.ock at the train scene. I will say this the action in this scene is truly magical. Spiderman uses the ULTIMATE strength to stop this train from falling off. Beautiful. Dr.Ock is the man in this scene. THE MAN!!!!!!!!!
3) Final Confrontation. Brilliance at its best. A person must realize what is the right thing and choices are made once again. I will tell you this there isnt a mega action fight here. you can say that is the super cool train scene.

The bad stuff
Well nothing to make this movie lower terribly. Some scenes dragged a bit. The ending was a pit funny and may i sy a little to corny.
WARNING: spoilers below
MJ running in her wedding dress to peter's apt. she makes her choice
. NOTHING ELSE!!!!.

Charactcers:
- Tobey(Peter)= His progress from the first film is very good. He is less tense i think and i notice how much he likes his role now. You can see he portrays Peter better this time. I love every scene that has something go wrong for him. Not in a mean way, just the way he shows it on screen. His best one liner - " I'm Back I'm Back... MY BACK MY BACK" ahahahah some of you might know this scene was
when he has lost strentgh he tries to believe in himself again so he tries to jump from building to building(im back im back) and falls and hits the cars below(my back my back)
ahahaha

Kristen Dunst(Mary Jane)- She is fine in her role. I think i have gotten attached to her in this role so she does what she does. Good job

James Franco(Harry)- HA! This guy is at the peak of brilliance in acting. He has one more film to prove he is the next up and coming hollywood megastar.

Aunt May- This woman who played Aunt May really brought the biggest emotional punch!. I think she is a scene stealer. a SCENE STEALER. I think every line she said made me think about my mother. She is such a importance to Peter and the woman who played her just made me almost teary eyes . What a role. she does a fine job as a aunt and really in the 1st film she was not a great deal to me as a character in the film. BUT here she just makes the film one of the best movies of the year.

DR.OCK!(Alfred Molina)- Let me say Alfred did this job with full confidence and acted in his own way. He did not OVERACT and he did not make Dr.Octupus a overly pompus prick or just plain annoying. He played himself. We have had villians such as Tommy Lee Jones as the two face just piss me off. Dr.Ock he is the meaning of coolness. Now... now... he is not that menacing as he seemed to me in the comics. Till you really tick him off. I liked the conversation he had with Peter in the beginning.
I think Dr. Otto was a Hippy it seemed back in the day. His wife and him seemed like it.
that just might be me though. His presence is very powerful. Like a T-rex. everytime he seems to be near you hear the DUM and DUM of the tentacles hitting the wall/ground. Better then William Dafoe i think, but William had to play a tougher villian IMO.

Final Thoughts.

I love the Origin of Spider-man the way he lives his daily life. I thought they showed a good amount in the first film. This movie they show more hardships, struggles, pain and triumph overall. The emotion and drama is what made all the critics love this movie along with the action that is i think almost hardcore and fast paced.
The annhilation of the doctors
= Hardcore
I have heard X-men 2 comparisons and superman 2 comparision. i think this movie is at moments much more deeper and more darker as X-men 2 was. It settles down alot and lets the life of Peter progress. the part of Dr.Ock coming in makes the movie the 'FUN and action packed drive'.
There is so much more to say but im worn out for now and i proud to say this movie has everything in one film. Secrets are revealed, mysteries are solved and the anticapation builds up even more for the next film. SM-3. The movie can go only 1 way in the next film and I REALLY THINK the franchise with this whole cast needs to be pushed to ONE more just one more film. making it 4. BUT as for this movie i expected it to be one of my best action movies ever. But it ended up being one of my best overall movies ever. The whole package!.
Hero's are remembered, but legends never die

10/10
I bought the 2-disc special edition the day of release. Spiderman 2 was awesome. Especially with Doc Ock. And Kirsten Dunst is so hot she sizzles. I'm hoping director Sam Raimi or whoever helms no. 3 will permit her and Peter to have at least one roll in the sack.

Originally Posted by steuk24
**Do Not Read If You Have Not Seen Movie**

I was just a little confused by the scene in which Harry find's his father's hidden room with all the Green Goblin things. I thought this implied that Harry now knows the truth about his father and will no longer be upset with Spiderman, but my friend is convinced that he was looking at everything as if he was going to use them and "avenge" his father's death. Any opinions on this?
In the Spidey comics, Harry DID find his dad's stuff once, had a nervous breakdown, and tried to become the Goblin-- but he was completely inept and Peter had to save him from himself.

A newer version came years later-- the Hobgoblin-- but although Harry was a key suspect, it turned out to be someone else.

Dr Kurt Connors (Pete's professor in the movie) is the Lizard-- so look for him & Harry in the 3rd flick!!

Spiderman 2 was a truly good movie. Some review that I have hear from people was that it was too predictable. HA! Well that is the essence of this genre. The Action/Super Hero is supposed to have this element - but what made this movie so good, was that it was well balanced by surprises too.

The filming in this movie was outstanding. Particularly the scene that starts with panning across the buildings focusing on the bees, panning down to see the reflection and into the coffee shot to do a close up of Dunst. Brilliant! And all one shot. Beautifully put together.-Excellent Gripping and Directing!
The story line was great - thrilling, intriguing, touching - this sequel really rounded the characters - the true crisis of the main character was portrayed beautifully. Well done! I wonder if there will be a third?

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
i noticed some bizarre things during this film....

Let me apologise if any of these have all ready been mentioned, if they have, tell me rudely and i shall run away.

Firstly, did anyone notice the scar on Tobey Maguires (sp?) face? It was on his right cheek i think. The weird thing about it is that its in the shape of a 2! Sometimes it looks like an S but it looks like a little number 2 on his cheek most of the time, i havnt noticed this in the last film, bizarre huh? i just couldnt stop staring at it. i think someone told me they read he said its just an old scar and its just a coincidence...that may have been a dream though....why i would dream about that...who knows.

Secondly, with all the mention of Peters Uncle Ben popping up throughout the film, it made me very hungry. Over here in the Uk we have a food company called Uncle Bens, they make rice, stir fry sauces etc. The packaging has the face of a beaming old black man with white hair on the front, smiling at his customers, and whenever the mention of "Uncle Ben" came up in the film, all i could envisage was that nice old african-American man smiling at Peter serving him Rice and Sweet and Sour Chicken....

Did anyone else have this problem?
Uncle Ben looked rough. Did he have a stroke before the filming of the second movie? Does anyone know?

Though seemingly impossible but just encase you have not seen the movie yet there are major spoilers ahead

I was deeply disappointed with Spider-man 2. Doc Oct one the most famous of all Marvel villians was to me a side note in this film. His role seemingly fades away from the picture as Peter Parker gribs with the loss of his powers. The action scenes where far apart amongst the annoying dripple drapple of a whinny Peter Parker. I understand that dialoge is an important part of the Spider-man comic series and the development with Spider-man character, but the movie just took it a little to far. The loss of his super powers came too soon in this franchise. I believe they should have waited until the third movie when Harry Osborn new of Peter Parkers identity to make a more urgent need for the regain of Peter's powers. At this point in the series Peter's only had the powers for two years, it was just too soon for him to be struggling with his super hero lifestyle. The movie is about Peter's power loss, that plot point takes center stage as Doc Oct jumps in for a moment or two to cause trouble. His role in the film is treated like a joke. His simply the villian for the need of a villian. The character that is Doc Oct is supreme. A triumph for the Marvel world. A deep character such as that should not a side note in the film. The movie should have focused on Doc Oct's desent into madness as Peter Parker coups with lossing a mentor. The enternal struggle with Peter should not been over his powers, but in having to fight a once good man. Also the return of the burning building was waste of film.
And having MJ discover Spider-man's true identity by the second movie really really pissed me off!!!! Way too soon. Harry, I am fine with, and actually like that plot twist, but MJ. NO. The marriage should gone without a hitch adding to Peter's suffering, and then making the delicate balance between Peter Parker and Spider-man all the more fragile and frustrating for Peter. It just seemed that Peter didn't deserve her yet. That he just hadn't been put through enough hell. The reward didn't justify the means.
Predictions: I hoping the third movie will consist of the Lizard (since the docter has already been introduced) and Harry's unleashing of his villian side unto to the public. Even though it may torchure me in the long run I think Venom is worth the wait (of the fourth movie). However with the outcome of the second movie I worried about this franchise's future.

I thought Spiderman 2 was probably the best movie of 2004 that I've seen thus far. It was wonderful. I had to get it immediately when it came out on DVD. I'm surprised that I was so moved by a superhero film.

Definately a great movie. The drama was just riveting. One of the best movie I've seen last year.