MISCELLANEOUS

Tools    

Hey all! Hope things are going well in your neck of the woods!

Dunkin Donuts new logo for the coffee makers’ tee shirts is “Let your Iced Do the Talking”. What on earth does this mean? Even if one changed “iced” to “eyes” it still makes no sense.

The world record for slow motion capture is at approximately 70 trillion frames per second.

If you took 70 trillion frames and played them back at the standard 33 frames per second speed that most videos run, it would take you more than 67,000 years of non-stop watching to see that entire second filmed at ultra high fps

Thanks, did you read it? If so your thoughts? Or anyone's thoughts for that matter?
I did read it (The Swimmer that is).
It is really short (you can read it in about 20 minutes), thus the movie added a lot while keeping true to the spirit of the story.

One interesting change: Lucinda (Ned's wife) is present at the first pool he starts at, which leads to interpretation: was this merely a memory of when he and his wife visited the friends who owned the pool? Was she actually there and this is somehow a metaphor for his debarkation from reality (which might mean his day-long swimming actually occurred over the course of months)? Or is her presence just another of his imaginings or wishful thinking mixed with memories?

Seems smart they didn't include her in the film this way, otherwise it might have been even MORE confusing.

Another difference, although tennis is mentioned in the story - it played a much bigger role in the movie. Unlike most of their neighbors, Ned's family opted for a tennis court instead of a swimming pool (and we see it at the end of the film), and, during his journey Ned insists to everyone that his daughters are home playing tennis on their court.

There's only one way this can happen. Nobody would ever understand. They would scoff it. Laugh at it. Stop it. Only to protect their day in the sun. On my behalf. But. If we could get over them and make it happen. They would see the genius of my blueprints. Brought to life. Theyd get it then. But thats a world away. An abforescent dream. There is no way like the way. And all things to come. Are like whispers in the clouds. Drifting through our nerves. Everything we take that pill. Everytime we lick that dot. Everytime we let go of reality. And realize that sobriety was life and looking back from the hearse at our loved ones. We devolve our souls. As the banana pudding engulfs us on scooters and public transits. You wonder, how can the only way be the path through the self-righteous.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The world record for slow motion capture is at approximately 70 trillion frames per second.
Yeah, they recorded me getting up from my PC to clean my house. Even slowed down like that, I seem to be sitting still.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yeah, they recorded me getting up from my PC to clean my house. Even slowed down like that, I seem to be sitting still.
That didnt work out too well. I guess dozens of evil members of the clue me cult are going to be sorely dejected when they see the terms of my agreement. Impossible.

There's only one way this can happen. Nobody would ever understand. They would scoff it. Laugh at it. Stop it. Only to protect their day in the sun. On my behalf. But. If we could get over them and make it happen. They would see the genius of my blueprints. Brought to life. Theyd get it then. But thats a world away. An abforescent dream. There is no way like the way. And all things to come. Are like whispers in the clouds. Drifting through our nerves. Everything we take that pill. Everytime we lick that dot. Everytime we let go of reality. And realize that sobriety was life and looking back from the hearse at our loved ones. We devolve our souls. As the banana pudding engulfs us on scooters and public transits. You wonder, how can the only way be the path through the self-righteous.
Is this a book report on "The Swimmer"?
If so... well done!
I think you captured the pure essence of the story!

Excerpt:

Look on the bright side of things. One, you paid your taxes and you don't have any personal debts. Two, you're not in anybody's way and you mind your own business. Three, you got your whole life ahead of you and nobody has you tied to an obligatory contract. That's freedom. No, you're sitting mighty fine and you should be okay.

I did read it (The Swimmer that is).
It is really short (you can read it in about 20 minutes), thus the movie added a lot while keeping true to the spirit of the story.

One interesting change: Lucinda (Ned's wife) is present at the first pool he starts at, which leads to interpretation: was this merely a memory of when he and his wife visited the friends who owned the pool? Was she actually there and this is somehow a metaphor for his debarkation from reality (which might mean his day-long swimming actually occurred over the course of months)? Or is her presence just another of his imaginings or wishful thinking mixed with memories?

Seems smart they didn't include her in the film this way, otherwise it might have been even MORE confusing.

Another difference, although tennis is mentioned in the story - it played a much bigger role in the movie. Unlike most of their neighbors, Ned's family opted for a tennis court instead of a swimming pool (and we see it at the end of the film), and, during his journey Ned insists to everyone that his daughters are home playing tennis on their court.
I saw the film when it came out, and in my memory I've always thought I saw it in an earlier year. I liked the film, but I was totally stunned by the ending (which of course pretty much explains the main story). Lancaster had played so many alluring roles that one is lulled into light heartedness and even happiness. He was still an athletic toned figure even at aged 55.

If you're saying that his wife appeared in an early scene in the film, I'd forgotten that. They may have been separated long enough that she simply played along. I'd have to look at that scene.
I've never re-watched it. It's a unique film, with a very artistic subject matter for its time.

I saw the film when it came out, and in my memory I've always thought I saw it in an earlier year. I liked the film, but I was totally stunned by the ending (which of course pretty much explains the main story). Lancaster had played so many alluring roles that one is lulled into light heartedness and even happiness. He was still an athletic toned figure even at aged 55.

If you're saying that his wife appeared in an early scene in the film, I'd forgotten that. They may have been separated long enough that she simply played along. I'd have to look at that scene.
I've never re-watched it. It's a unique film, with a very artistic subject matter for its time.
Hi Doc,

I'm saying his wife did NOT appear in the film. But in the book, she's present at the first pool where Ned begins his journey - as if they are just a happy couple visiting friends.

In the film, Ned only talks about his wife when he's at the first pool (and he even names his trek of swimming pools "The Lucinda River" after his wife), but by the end of the movie we can assume that he and Lucinda have been broken up (or worse) for at least several months if not longer.

If the movie had been just like the book - with Lucinda present at the beginning - then it probably would've left audiences scratching their heads even MORE than they already were by the end.

Walking to Dunkin just now for daily coffee, a mentally ill drug addict asks me for a quarter, which I don’t have. I enjoy my coffee & daily snack & leave Dunkin. I meet the same guy going in the opposite direction, but, in the interval, he now asks for a dollar. What is this: inflation on the street?