MISCELLANEOUS

Tools    

Just joking I don't even have a toaster. I do have an espresso machine that I leave plugged in, mostly. Though sometimes when we're gone for the day I unplug it. I unplug my computer modem when I'm gone and at night.
I’m not one for leaving things plugged in, but, yet, I do.

Hello! Its weekend time

Someday when all of the technologies reach fruition a movie maker will be able to access his movie pallette with his mind and with the help of AI, imagine an entire movie without any help and save it to the internet for others to see.

I was watching The Swimmer (1968) again on TCM the other day and noticed something where I don't know if it was a case of artistic license or if laws about inground pools have changed since the movie was made.

For all the private pools Ned Merrill visited, I never once noticed him encounter a fence. In the movie, it seemed like he just sauntered from the surrounding woodlands into people's backyards who had pools without ever having to knock on a door, open a gate or climb over a fence.

I know that these days there are very strict laws that say inground pools must have a fence of a certain type and certain height surrounding them or surrounding the yard they are in (obviously for safety reasons - to limit access for wildlife, children, uninvited guests, etc.)

So, does anyone know if this was just done for the movie (for expedience sake or one of those reality vs fantasy plot holes - like the fact that windows in movies rarely ever have screens in them?) or were there more lax property laws in 1968 concerning swimming pools?

I like when old movies have magazine / news stands in them, so you can look to see if you can read the titles of the magazines (provided the camera stays on them long enough).
They were usually real magazines used (filmmakers probably didn't create bunches of fake magazines just to fill up racks in the background... unless the magazines were part of the plot).
I especially like when they have comic books visible!

I was watching The Swimmer (1968) again on TCM the other day and noticed something where I don't know if it was a case of artistic license or if laws about inground pools have changed since the movie was made.

For all the private pools Ned Merrill visited, I never once noticed him encounter a fence. In the movie, it seemed like he just sauntered from the surrounding woodlands into people's backyards who had pools without ever having to knock on a door, open a gate or climb over a fence.

I know that these days there are very strict laws that say inground pools must have a fence of a certain type and certain height surrounding them or surrounding the yard they are in (obviously for safety reasons - to limit access for wildlife, children, uninvited guests, etc.)

So, does anyone know if this was just done for the movie (for expedience sake or one of those reality vs fantasy plot holes - like the fact that windows in movies rarely ever have screens in them?) or were there more lax property laws in 1968 concerning swimming pools?
You’d have to consult Cheever’s original story for this information.

Yikes, how the heck can it be my favorite month - August - tomorrow?! Wasn’t it only yesterday that it was January?

Good point. I don't think there was even a fence in the insanely overcrowded public pool.

I saw this on TCM too. I wondered, however, how anyone can justify calling that a movie about suburbs? That's way wealthier than any suburb I have ever been too.

You got to think like a movie producer...Having Burt Lancaster climb over fences is dangerous, takes away time from the story and most importantly imparts a feeling that the 'swimmer' is criminally breaking into people's backyards. It's a concept film.

Good point. I don't think there was even a fence in the insanely overcrowded public pool.

I saw this on TCM too. I wondered, however, how anyone can justify calling that a movie about suburbs? That's way wealthier than any suburb I have ever been too.
I thought you said you were studying film? Hint, The Swimmer is not cinéma vérité.

You got to think like a movie producer...Having Burt Lancaster climb over fences is dangerous, takes away time from the story and most importantly imparts a feeling that the 'swimmer' is criminally breaking into people's backyards. It's a concept film.

I thought you said you were studying film? Hint, The Swimmer is not cinéma vérité.
I want to study film, but technically I don't (at least currently). I really went into the movie blind, and, for some reason, thought it was going to be more "middle class." haha