Your preference of watching movies?

Tools    

I'm not a hero; I'm a liar.
Let's be honest -- there's only so many ways to watch movies, but what way is your favorite? Are you patient enough for the DVD if you don't want to go and spend $25 at the theaters? Do you download them? If you enjoyed what you downloaded, do you buy the movie? Do you go out of your way to buy a hard copy of something? Any other ways or answers to questions I didn't ask but are related are also welcome!

I'm not a hero; I'm a liar.
Also, let's not forget netflix, redbox, etc.

I don't bother with downloading... I've never used any online movie thing. Lower picture res, lower sound res etc just puts me off.

Cinema isn't too bad except for prices and the idiots I have to share the picture with. I'll only use the cinema if it's a film a really want to see. Which isn't often, in the past 6 years I've seen 2 movies at the pictures.

I prefer my home cinema and a DVD over any and all other media.

Cinema Releses, are normaly my forté and taste, If they are exeptionalat the theatre then i will buy on DVD release aswell.

If I had enough time and money, I'd try to see every film at the cinema and IMAX cinemas. So the way I watch films is a mix of cinema and blu-ray only(DVD if the film is only avaliable on DVD).

Are you patient enough for the DVD if you don't want to go and spend $25 at the theaters?

Yes, but then I have a multi-region blu-ray player so I can buy blu-rays from all over the world that might not be out here yet. I've got some blu-rays at the moment that are still playing at the cinema here in Britain or not released on blu-ray here till next year. Love multi region.

Do you download them?

Nope, inferior quality still. Until it's on par with blu-ray, I'm not downloading or streaming films anytime soon.

My rule is, if it's action and gets moderate reviews...that's a big screen film. Drama or comedy aren't high on the priority list unless the buzz is just really awesome.
If it's a film I really want to see, but didn't go to the theater...it's gotta be blu-ray. I want the full resolution.
Beyond that, Netflix picks up everything that slips through the cracks.

Cinema!

I wish all my favourite movies would show in the cinema again. Was glad to see Iron Man 1&2 again during the Avengers marathon (downside was sitting through Captain America again)

otherwise, DVDs. straightforward to buy, and I can take with me if I'm gonna be watching elsewhere.

ok yeah netflix and redbox, as far as the theater, how many wish to spend all that on overpriced food, matinee please, PLEASE; I'm cheap, and anything I consider has my cheapness first and foremost in consideration.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
It really depends. If it's action or something renowned for its visuals, recently "Life of Pi" comes to mind, then it has to be in theaters. But if it's more about the content than the visuals, I can watch it on netflix just about anywhere and be immersed.

I agree with Rodent. Internet movies arent up to much. I buy the DVD or for older ones used VHS tapes. Nowdays you can get them for a nickel a ton. I bought about 400 of them a while back for 400 pesos, thats about 35 dollars.

I never go to the cinema. I have the patience of something very patient (wanted to be clever but couldn't think of anything) so it's no problem for me to wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray.
I also download movies so that I don't end up buying something I don't like but if I like it I almost always buy it.

I'll see it at a cinema if it's a big action movie or a film with good cinematography. If not, I wait until the DVD.

It depends on the movie; there's no way I'm downloading an Orson Welles movie on my laptop; it needs to be seen on a larger screen. Most of those summer blockbusters I will download, however.

Depends on the movie,

Big blockbuster then cinema,
otherwise dvd.
We have a theatre in town which shows movies kindof as they're coming to the end of their cinema run. not the best picture or sound but its cheap, comfortable and you can take a drink in from the bar.

I can't remember when i last went to the cinema hall and which movie I saw. It must be years (except film festivals and movie club viewings). I download my stuff, mostly using torrent and I never bought a movie in my entire life.

When I was in the film school, I copied a lot of my favorite films from the library, and years later, while walking found a seller of films in the pavement (a lot of quality stuff he had) by chance, who was very interested to exchange my films with his (his was business, of course, he didn't bother about Fellini or Bunuel, never saw nothing, but knew all of the names of their films, this interaction was really helpful for me though, as I managed to exchange thousands of films).

The most loathsome of all goblins
I have Netflix and I copy the movies and shows I really enjoy onto a blank DVD. The only time I actually "buy" them is when one of my favorites comes out on Blu-ray. I'm a sucker for high-def.

First screening, on a weekday, by myself