My Movie Thoughts

→ in
Tools    

Date Night (2010)
Dir: Shawn Levy
Starring: Steve Carell, Tina Fey, Mark Wahlberg

Steve Carell and Tina Fey are funny. So this movie can't help but be funny. Is it especially memorable? No. But it is funny. The cab driver stole the film, however. Those few minutes were the funniest part of the whole thing. It was nice, even in the surreal plot, to see a semi-realistic, positive portrayal of a marriage, though.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
Dir: Chris Sanders, Dean DeBlois
Starring: Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera

Another good family movie. 2010 seems to have been a great year for family films. While not quite on the level of Toy Story 3, this is a good film with a father-son relationship story, a believing in yourself story, and a one person can make a difference story all wrapped up with vikings and dragons. What kid can resist? Not mine, as they were clammoring to watch it again as soon as the credits rolled.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Hearing a lot of good things about How To Train Your Dragon, so I'll have to watch it soon.

A coupl of "date night" selections...

Just Wright (2010)
Dir: Sanaa Hamri
Starring: Queen Latifah, Common

Queen Latifah is basketball fan/physical therapist hired to help one of her favorite players recover from an injury. He's engaged to her God-sister who bails when it looks like his contract won't be renewed. Fairly typical "chick-flick." Not great, not awful. Good for snuggling with the wife.

-----------------------------------------

Eat Pray Love (2010)
Dir: Ryan Murphy
Starring: Julia Roberts, Javier Bardem, Billy Crudup, James Franco

Julia Roberts gets divorced, enters a bad relationship with a younger guy, then goes around the world to "find herself." Of course, she finds Mr. Right on the way. Again, I found it a fairly typical "chick-flick." Not really good, but not really bad. I did enjoy Javier Bardem's performance, though. Still, good for snuggling with the wife, which is the primary benefit of watching these types of movies in the first place.

***FROM THE ALL-TIME FAVORITES LIST***

It Happened One Night (1934)
Dir: Frank Capra
Starring: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly

Great classic film. The first film to sweep all 5 "big" Oscars - Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress and Screenplay. The dynamic between Gable and Colbert is fantastic. So many classic moments - "Quit bawlin'!", "The Walls of Jericho.", "I won't use my thumb." Clark Gable is very funny here, which is not a trait I would have associated with him before watching this picture. A fun romantic comedy with an appeal far beyond that of the typical "chick-flicks." Though made in the 1930s the film still holds up. I think any fan of film would be well served to watch this one.

***#1 ALL-TIME FAVORITE FILM***

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
Starring: James Stewart, Donna Reed, Henry Travers, Lionel Barrymore

Nothing I can say would truly do justice to this film. While most people view it as a sappy Christmas story, it is oh so much more. George Bailey, like so many of us, is a man who has had to watch all of his dreams fly away in order to fulfill the responsibilities of life. He has always acted selflessly and for the good of other, no matter the cost to himself. We get to see this from the time he was a boy, to the time his father dies, to the time his brother gets married, to the depression, to WWII. In his darkest hour, on Christmas Eve, he decides it would be better for everyone if he was dead. Even on the verge of suicide, George acts selflessly saving another man from drowning. That man turns out to be Clarence Oddbody, Angel Second Class, who shows George what the world would be like if he had never lived. The vision is a dark and twisted version of his hometown and friends. It is actually a very dark and depressing sequence. As has been said, Capra delivers happy endings, but he makes you work for them. And of course, once George, and the viewers, realize how wonderful life really is, just being with the people you love, we get our sappy, happy ending. But boy did we work for it. If you don't get watery-eyed during the finale of this film, you're heart is probably two sizes too small.

Only Capra could have made this movie, which is probably why no one before him was able to make it work. Donna Reed is fantastic. Lionel Barrymore is suitably evil. The supporting characters are all wonderfully cast.

Jimmy Stewart, who is always likeable on-screen, is perfect as George. Stewart is able to show George's growing bitterness and resentment at how his life has gone. He shows us George's happiness and unhappiness. The overwhelming despair when he's about to loose it all. The terror as he tours Pottersville. The indescribable joy as he makes it back to Bedford Falls and the people he loves. Through Stewart's performance, he takes us all through the full emotional gamut, and makes the payoff, sappy and Capra-corny as it may be, all the more satisfying.

A perfect film, not just for Christmas, but for anytime. I watch it several times every year and never fail to end up blubbering like a baby by the end.

+

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How do you compare It's a Wonderful Life to A Christmas Carol? I realize that the central characters approach life in different ways and are responsible for their own actions which are perhaps coming from polar opposites, but they sure have similar stories to tell and which is actually more powerful or uplifting, and why?

A Christmas Carol features Ebenezer Scrooge, a greedy, selfish man who has lived his life, at least his adult life, all for himself. His experience with the three spirits leads him to turn his life around. The story of Scrooge is indeed inspirational, as it shows that redemption is possible for anyone. Scrooge seems to be rotten to the core, but even he receives salvation. An excellent story, with several great film adaptations.

That said, I actually find that It's a Wonderful Life has a greater impact, at least on me. Not very many people actually see themselves in Scrooge, even if other people might see it. Almost everyone can see at least a little bit of themselves in George. Everyone sees themselves as a "good guy" who wants to help other people. Everyone has dreams that they had to give up at some point. The story of George Bailey, in my opinion, has the greater impact because George's story is the story of the viewer. While Scrooge may have had a longer way to go to turn his life around, it just feels that the viewer is more emotionally invested in George.

That's how I feel about it, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Bell, Book and Candle (1958)
Dir: Richard Quine
Starring: James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovaks

Jimmy Stewart is a wonderful actor. I've enjoyed him in every film of his I've seen. The scene here where he has to drink the "soup" is hilarious. The rest of the cast is also great - Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovaks. Unfortunately, the film itself is pretty average. It's not a bad film, and I did enjoy it. It's just a bit below what I expected from the highly talented cast. I liked it well enough that I will probably watch it again, but it's a far cry from Stewart's materpieces with Capra and Hitchcock.

Shrek Forever After (2010)
Dir: Zyruss Galos
Starring: Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, Antonio Banderas, Walt Dohrn

I admit it - I love the Shrek movies. The first one is just a classic blend of fairy tale and pop culture that kind of turned fairy tale movies upside down. Most fairy tale movies since have copied the formula (which is really kind of an extended "Fractured Fairy Tales" episode, but it was pretty unique when it came out). The second and third Shrek films were a notch below the first, I admit, but I still enjoyed them. With the fourth - and allegedly final - film, Dreamworks has given us a treat that stands with, and arguably above, the original.

Shrek, like most people, has grown tired of his day-in, day-out routine and longs for the days of his youth. When his frustration finally boils over he makes a deal with Rupelstiltskin to have one day as a "real ogre." In exchange he gives up a day from his childhood. Naturally, Rumpelstiltskin takes the day he was born, erasing Shrek's existance and turning Far Far Away into a "Pottersville," with Rumpel as king.

Maybe my love of It's a Wonderful Life has pre-disposed me to liking this movie, as the plot borrows very heavily from the last third of the classic film. Still, the final Shrek is a heartwarming and fitting finale to the enjoyable series. A new addition to the all-time favorites list.

Jumanji (1995)
Dir: Joe Johnston
Starring: Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst, Bonnie Hunt, David Alan Grier

Jumanji, while not neccessarily a classic film, is a fun way to pass a couple of hours. Robin Williams is generally funny in these type of roles, and Jumanji is no different. As an overgrown boy Williams gets to clown around like a 12 year old, which he normally does anyway. As for the movie's premise, what kid wouldn't love a board game that turned into a real life jungle adventure? Maybe mine wouldn't, because at the close of the film (the first time the younger boys had watched it), my 7 year old deemed it "the scariest movie I've ever seen." Still, it's a lot of fun to watch.

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
Dir: George Lucas
Starring: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing

Up until about 12 years ago, when I finally, truly "got" It's a Wonderful Life, this film would have been my #1 or 2 favorite (alternating with its first sequel, The Empire Strikes Back). It's still in my Top 10. I missed the original release (I was 3 1/2), so I saw Empire first. I first saw this in re-release in the years between Empire and Return of the Jedi. At the time this was the perfect film. In many ways it still is.

There are characters to appeal to everyone. We have the young hero setting off on his grand adventure and saving the universe. We have the hero of questionable reputation for the "cool" factor. We have the beautiful princess who can be both the damsel in distress and the strong, independent woman who can take care of herself. Comic relief - check. Wise old man - check. Scary, super-evil villain - check. Also scary, super-evil British guy - check. And the special effects, most of them essentially invented for this movie, were awesome (and in manye cases I still prefer the old effects to today's over-digitized films).

Released in a decade when disaster movies were all the rage (Airport, Towering Inferno, Posieden Adventure), this was a film with a positive, good-wins-over-evil message that the whole family could enjoy. A young farm boy discovers he comes from a line of heroic knights and sets off with a wise old wizard on an adventure to places neither he, nor the viewer, has ever dreamed of. What kid, or kid at heart, can resist? Visually stunning and with the fun of the old cliffhanger serials, Star Wars was just what the world was looking for at that time. And it's never gone away since, thanks to the merchandising onslaught it begat (which I loved at the time, but I am so over it now). Disregarding that, this is still one of the most fun films you'll ever watch. Kids of all ages still love it.

Iron Man 2 (2010)
Dir: Jon Favreau
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Don Cheadle, Mickey Rourke, Gwenyth Paltrow

The first Iron Man (2008) is one of the best super hero movies to date. Everything just came together in that movie. Iron Man 2, while good, does not quite live up to its predecessor. The dual father-son stories, with Tony Stark and Ivan Vanko, provide decent character development. Nick Fury's character gets expanded leading up to The Avengers in 2012. Black Widow is introduced. Rhodey puts on a suit and becomes War Machine. Lots of action scenes. All great super hero/popcorn movie stuff, but something was missing that was present in the first film. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe it's just knowing that this is really just a teaser for The Avengers. The focus isn't as squarely on Stark because the cast has to expand making way for the super hero movie that may well end all super hero movies. After all, once the "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" finally come together on screen, what else is there for them to do?

Fireproof (2008)
Dir: Alex Kendrick
Starring: Kirk Cameron, Erin Bethea, Ken Bevel

While the production budget for Sherwood Pictures films is a far cry from those big Hollywood blockbusters, their movies more than make up for it with great stories and emotional impact. This film focuses on the value of marriage. In this day and age where marriages are seemingly looked at as disposable, where people can just opt out at anytime because they aren't happy, this film shows you that a real marriage requires work. Love is not just a feeling, but a choice. As stated in the film, you can't "just follow your heart, man; 'cause your heart can be deceived. But you gotta lead your heart."

Kirk Cameron gives a wonderful performance in this movie, and Ken Bevel is very good as well. Stephen Dervan as Wayne provides much of the comic relief, and he is quite funny. Like a great Capra film, I've seen this movie several times and it never fails to have an impact on me.

Faith Like Potatoes (2006)
Dir: Regardt van den Bergh
Starring: Frank Rautenbach, Jeanne Neilson, Hamilton Dlamini

Based on the real life of Angus Buchan, a scottish farmer in South Africa. Times are hard for the farmers with frequent reports of white farmers being murdered by the native Zulus and severe drought. Angus finds God and decides to trust that God will provide for his and his families needs. And God does provide, as Angus becomes not only a successful farmer, but a successful preacher in South Africa as well.

This is a very well done and well acted film. The accents are heavy and it takes a little while to understand what everyone is saying, but once you're used to it it's not an issue. It's an inspiring and uplifting story about having faith, even in that which you cannot see - like a crop of potatoes...

You Can't Take It With You (1938)
Starring: Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart, Edward Arnold

You Can't Take It With You is a tale of two families - the rich Kirbys and the free-living Vanderhofs. It's part Romeo and Juliet with Jimmy Stewart and Jean Arthur as the lovebirds, and the well-to-do Kirbys trying to keep them apart because of their social class. It's also part tale of the clash of ideology between Lionel Barrymore as the zany Grandpa Vanerhof and Edward Arnold as banker A.P. Kirby. Arnold is always great in these evil rich guy roles. And it's hard to believe sweet old Grandpa Vanderhof would play the complete opposite role as Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life eight years later.

Along the way we get lots of laughs from the crazy characters in the Vanderhof household, which is full of not only family members, but other people who just came to stay and do whatever it is they want to do. The mayhem on the night the Kirbys visit is a blast.

While the social commentary in this film is not as heavy as it is in other Capra films, like Mr. Deeds Goes to Town or Meet John Doe, it's still there. Mr. Kirby learns that true happiness doen't come from money or big deals, but from just enjoying your family and life in general. We all wish at some point or another that we could live like the Vanderhofs. In reality, of course, we know we can't, but it is possible to find a balance somewhere in the middle.

I really enjoy this picture and I laugh a lot watching it. I thought my kids might enjoy it also with all the crazy characters in it. I was wrong on that. They did like some of the characters, but for the most part they found it too long and not exciting enough. Oh well. It's still one of my favorites.

I just really didn't think that film was so great

Harry and the Hendersons (1987)
Dir: William Dear
Starring: John Lithgow, Melinda Dillon, Don Ameche

Harry and the Hendersons is a nice little family movie. It's funny and charming and an entertaining way to spend an hour and a half. I loved it as a kid and it holds up to rewatching as an adult. My kids now love it too. If this movie was remade today it would no doubt have a CGI sasquatch and lose the majority of its charm. If you've never seen it, it's worth a look. Especially if you have kids.