Dr. Strangelove Or: Does Satire Have To Be Funny To Be Effective?

Tools    

Semper Fooey
To answer that question, you or someone else has to cite a movie they thinks is a successful satire that isn't funny. Dr. Strangelove with its cowboy bombardier riding a bomb down to world destruction, which is laugh out loud funny and horrible at the same time, doesn't fit the bill of satire not being funny.

Not Enough Time
To answer that question, you or someone else has to cite a movie they thinks is a successful satire that isn't funny. Dr. Strangelove with its cowboy bombardier riding a bomb down to world destruction, which is laugh out loud funny and horrible at the same time, doesn't fit the bill of satire not being funny.
lol I think you are putting words on my keyboard. I didn't say Dr Strangelove wasn't funny nor a satire. But I will think of a specific movie that is a satire but not at all funny, because I know there is one and I've been trying to think of one, but my brain is pretty tired today. Sooo, i'll get back to you on that.

Edit: One I just thought of, small but applicable, is Scar in The Lion King. Not only is the scene of the hyena's marching as an army an obvious play on Nazi's and Hitler, but there's the entire premise of him being a fascist dictator. I never found that aspect of the movie funny in any way, and I don't think anyone else did. Unless, of course, you're all for Nazis, Hitler, and/or fascist dictators.

"If dreams are like movies then memories are films about ghosts"

I guess the question is: what is Dr. Strangelove really satirizing? How obstinate and belligerent the United States is? How desperate to catch up the russians are? How fanatical german scientists are?

I have to return some videotapes...
I think it has to be funny to express it's satirical themes best, but you can tell if it's satire without laughing so I guess it really doesn't have to be funny.

Welcome to the human race...
I guess the question is: what is Dr. Strangelove really satirizing? How obstinate and belligerent the United States is? How desperate to catch up the russians are? How fanatical german scientists are?
Male impotence.

In my opinion, humor helps because it sort of sneaks the lesson in.
Besides, funny is it's own justification. I certainly wouldn't want to not have lines like "Gentlemen, you can't fight here! This is the War Room!"
There's an expression I learned recently: HHOS (Ha Ha Only Serious.)

So does satire have to be funny to be effective? What do you think? I'm focusing more on film here, but you can read into this and answer however you want. It's a question that was posed in a review I read of the purportedly horrible War, Inc. The reviewer went into some detail about how right-on the movie was in some of its observations, and yet he couldn't in good conscience recommend it because of how clunky and supremely unfunny it was.

Personally, that's kind of how I feel about Dr. Strangelove. I respect its genius and how remarkably perceptive it is and whatnot. But it doesn't make me laugh. I "get it", but I think the humor, for the most part, falls flat.

Satire, by definition I believe, is a form of comedy. So can it still be as effective as it wants to be if it doesn't make you double over in hysterics? Should a slice of satire be measure by how many times you slap your knees or by how many times you nod your head knowingly?

Is this funny?
I admittedly saw Dr. Strangelove when it was way, way out of date. It's funny, but horrible, at the same time.

So does satire have to be funny to be effective? What do you think? I'm focusing more on film here, but you can read into this and answer however you want. It's a question that was posed in a review I read of the purportedly horrible War, Inc. The reviewer went into some detail about how right-on the movie was in some of its observations, and yet he couldn't in good conscience recommend it because of how clunky and supremely unfunny it was.

Personally, that's kind of how I feel about Dr. Strangelove. I respect its genius and how remarkably perceptive it is and whatnot. But it doesn't make me laugh. I "get it", but I think the humor, for the most part, falls flat.

Satire, by definition I believe, is a form of comedy. So can it still be as effective as it wants to be if it doesn't make you double over in hysterics? Should a slice of satire be measure by how many times you slap your knees or by how many times you nod your head knowingly?

Is this funny?
Dr. Strangelove, I think, is a form of black comedy, if one gets the drift. It's horrible, but funny without being laughable, at the same time, if one gets the drift.