The Kominsky Method

Tools    

The opening scene in a supermarket for the second season finale was kind of silly. I was relieved to know that they weren't killing Norman because I know Arkin doesn't appear in the third season. Wow, the years haven't been too kind to Haley Joel Osment. And his character is a total weirdo. "I got down on my titanium knee and everything." "I don't know if breather is the best word to use with the lung cancer." The gay student doing a scene from On the Waterfront? Seriously? "I'll call my knee guy and see if he knows a hip guy." "As an immortal spirit, would I have any dietary restrictions?" Great to see Allison Janney, as it always is. Why would Sandy actually think his students would choose him over Janney? Norman's right...Robbie is definitely Phoebe's son. OK, Arkin doesn't appear in the third season but he wasn't written off during this episode. How does that work?

Really don't like the way they killed off Norman...lots of missed opportunities there because they apparently weren't prepared for Arkin's departure from the show, making for a squirm-worthy third season opener. Michael Douglas played the hell out of that eulogy though. Phoebe's eulogy was really funny too and very well written. "Norman Newlander loved me like no other man on Wednesday and Sunday mornings." I knew someone was going to throw themselves on the coffin, but I didn't think it would be who it turned out to be. You just want to smack Robbie though. Read a room, Robbie. They only exacerbated the the rotten way they killed off Norman by showing scenes of Arkin from the first two seasons. Why are they now turning Madeline into a nut? "Nobody knows how t mourn like the Jews." "We could smoke a doobie, play a little Jenga." All of a sudden, Mindy seems to be in denial about how old Marty is. She seems to get more and more annoying as the show progresses...I don't recall seeing this character ever smile. "It's not enough to act your age, you also have to f*ck your age." "well, you'll make somebody a wonderful ex-wife." Except for Mindy's interruption, the acting class scene was really funny.

The opening scene of ep 2 pissed me off. Sandy offers Mindy the money Norman left her and even that wouldn't put a smile on her face. I loved that Norman didn't trust Martin with the money for Mindy. I'm beginning to wonder what Marty sees in Mindy because the girl is a total downer, the most unpleasant character I've seen on TV in a long time. Phoebe and Robbie's true colors sure came out when Norman made Sandy the executor of his will, smartest thing Norman's done so far. "Why did you have to bring up your imaginary lawyer/" "It's a shame you weren't gay, you would have made such a nice couple." Didn't see the return of Kathleen Turner as Sandy's ex, Roz, coming. Felt terrible for Margaret when she shared her news with the class. Marty and Mindy really seem to be wanting Sandy to take sides in their relationship troubles. OK, that was scary when they said Phil Collins was before Mindy's time. That's so juvenile that the class iced Margaret out.

As ep 3 began, I noticed that the new Newlander lawyer, even without hair, is the same guy who played the pizza delivery guy on Two and a Half Men. Marty's proposal to Mindy was the first time I've seen Mindy smile. How did Sandy get on the set of Margaret's new show with Morgan Freeman? I would think a new show would have a closed set. Loved that jacket that Sandy was wearing in the restaurant scene with Roz. Phoebe and Robbie need to get hit by a bus. "The father, the son, and the what the f8uck did he just say?" Robbie is so greasy I can't stand him. I'm really beginning to see why people lost interest in the show with the departure of Alan Arkin. I think Sandy was right that Norman is really enjoying all of this.

Not exactly sure what's happening here, but when I clicked on to ep 4, ep 1 came on again so I'm moving to ep 5. I guess whatever put Roz in the hospital happened in the missing episode. Roz has cancer too? can't the writers think of any other afflictions to put on these characters? "Every dollar spent on you is a dollar not spent on hair plugs." The Titanic scene in the acting class had me on the floor. Don't these students ever do scenes from plays? It was so funny watching Paul Reiser watching himself in Diner. Those scenes of Sandy on the set of his movie, Michael looked SO much like his dad. "The last person who spoke to me like that is still looking for his left nut." Was that Christine Ebersole playing Martin's mother?

Ep 6 confirmed that it is Christine Ebersole playing Marty's mother. OK, Roz is a doctor and an ordained minister? How convenient. Did Marty's mother have to be one of those moms who expects her son to choose her over her bride? Way too much extra not-so-funny dialogue during the wedding. "I got up to pee for like the ninth time and decided that was enough." Don't really get why they felt a one year time leap forward was necessary for the final episode. Loved the Old Man and the Sea billboard. Christine Ebersole's makeup is incredible. Is Robbie actually planning to have sandy murdered but I loved the twist to that reveal. Don't really understand the point of bringing Ebersole on for two episodes. Thrilled that Sandy won an Emmy and loved Jon Cryer's cameo. Michael Douglas nailed Sandy's acceptance speech, though Margaret winning an Emmy as well might have been a little over the top. They seemed to try and wrap everything in a bow for the finale, but I must agree with everyone else who said the show wasn't the same after Alan Arkin left but I'm glad I watched it.