MovieMeditation’s Diary Reviews // “Come and meditate with me!”

→ in
Tools    

movies can be okay...
Yeah, criticising Star Wars for lack of realism is very silly.
How so ? I'm obviously not referring to the universe not being realistic.
The films have a constant serious tone with a few comedic shifts here and there, they aren't self aware about their lack of believability, and they aren't the least bit absurdest, so how exactly is me not being able to believe what I'm seeing a silly criticism ?
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

How so ? I'm obviously not referring to the universe not being realistic.
The films have a constant serious tone with a few comedic shifts here and there, they aren't self aware about their lack of believability, and they aren't the least bit absurdest, so how exactly is me not being able to believe what I'm seeing a silly criticism ?
Because it's an overblown, campy, fantasy film. I don't think it was ever a goal to create a realistic feeling film and i've never seen it being praised for that. It's a Space Opera; it's supposed to be melodramatic. I get why you don't like it and some of your criticisms are things that fans have to accept like the hokey acting but i don't think it's fair criticising it for lacking something it was never trying for.

I'd like to see Huey Lewis make a comeback via Tarantino or PTA
He hasn't done a lot, but I've always felt that, in the right role, Huey Lewis might have had a bit of an acting career...his cameo at the beginning of Back to the Future was very funny.

[center]"18"
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
The year is no spelling mistake

total movie count ........... viewing day count
286 .......................... 344

I've never even heard of this movie, but your review piqued by curiosity and I will be adding it to my watchlist.

movies can be okay...
As you proceed to actually hate on it
I actually like the OT, even if it's ironically.

When the OT came out it wasn't dated and predictable nearly as much as it is now, obviously. It's not like human beings were in their infancy intelligence-wise. It was just some sugar coating that made everyone feel safe. There was still plenty of pessimism/cynicism going around. I mean, it was the 70's and 80's! It's a shame if you happened to miss out and not see this when it was still new because it was a great piece of history.
I'm sorry I wasn't born fast enough
Also I'm not denying the fact that it is undeniably a historical piece of filmmaking.

With that said, there has to be films that hit all of those notes that are more modern and less unrealistic, right? I'd be interested to have a few recommendations, myself. I'm serious.
I don't think I'm aware of any modern films that have had as much of an impact as Star Wars or even come close to it. Maybe The Dark Knight...maybe.

But since you're taking recommendations anyway, I would say definitely check out 1999's Rosetta, I remember hearing about how it was responsible for Rosetta's law but I think that was debunked, either way it's a great film.

Another film I'm aware of that has certainly done some good to the world is 2013's Blackfish.

"17"
MovieMeditation presents...
HIS FILM DIARY 2015
The year is no spelling mistake

total movie count ........... viewing day count
287 .......................... 347

December 14th

—— 1992 ——
reservoir
dogs

—— thriller ——
REWATCH

Quentin Tarantino’s “shoot first, explain later” technique is already smoking hot
despite barely emerging from the barrel of future bad-assery with this debut feature!

His bullet rain dialogue is wild, rough around the edges, and wonderfully vigorous – watching Tarantino dodge the pitfalls he almost sets up for himself throughout is like walking through a pitch-black art gallery, soaked in gasoline, with nothing but a match box trying to get a glimpse of every image without burning yourself and the framework as you go. That might be the most obscure reference I have ever made. But anyways, also, the bumpy and low-budget feel only adds to the experience of a film fanatic filming his own luscious dream surrounded by huge talent to help him realize it. This is one of the best debut features ever made, for sure…

‘Reservoir Dogs’ isn’t a perfect film, but it is more than you could ask for in a debut feature. Tarantino tactically plays with what he later perfected with ‘Pulp Fiction’ – showing the audience the other side of the main event – not constructing his movie to work towards the climatic momentum, but building the momentum around a classical example of a climax, in this case, a bank heist. It is everything that goes on outside of the robbery that really sells the movie; it is the characters before and after the heist that haul this movie home. It is the unconventional construction of the plotline that ignites the power, which then drives the story forward – the introduction of a seemingly typical group of people, who appear to know each other well; then comes the cold hard cut to the aftermath of a heist gone wrong; then the little sprinkles of backstory for each character throughout to eventually form and shape the movie after the fact.

‘Reservoir Dogs’ is as much an experiment as it is an example of building a plot and shaping a movie. Everything is turned upside down and Tarantino enjoys having his audience hang head-down, hands tied, to see the happenings from a different perspective, while the blood runs to our head as Tarantino shouts the boiling, spitfire dialogue straight into our ears as he dances around to his own inner music with our attention in his holy hands of hómage ŕ trois between us and him as well as his violent and horny obsession with violence and cinema history. Being stuck in the middle of this scenario is quite the experience.

And if my mind doesn’t feel just a little bit verbally and visually violated after a Quentin Tarantino movie it just isn’t a Quentin Tarantino movie. And if the performances from the actors and actresses in a Quentin Tarantino movie isn’t some of the best they have ever done, then I would equally question the legitimacy of it... The movie has an all-star cast delivering five-star performances inside the career-starting movie of a future mega-star film director. What’s not to love here?

+

I've never even heard of this movie, but your review piqued by curiosity and I will be adding it to my watchlist.
I really can't say if you will enjoy it. Because it's very much a love or hate film. Furthermore, despite I really like it, I saw it under different circumstances and with different expectations. Nevertheless, I hope you will like it.

Love this movie and your review, I agree with every word you've said.
I'm glad. Thank you very much for your comments, Gideon, they are truly appreciated.

He hasn't done a lot, but I've always felt that, in the right role, Huey Lewis might have had a bit of an acting career...his cameo at the beginning of Back to the Future was very funny.
And don't forget Duets which I may have to watch again. I see Huey in an action role but not strictly action. A lot of drama and maybe some climactic action, like, a thriller, like, he has to do this or else things are going to be bad for him and people he loves type of thing. He has that face and demeanor that would make him an interesting presence to see more of on the silver screen.

movies can be okay...
Because it's an overblown, campy, fantasy film. I don't think it was ever a goal to create a realistic feeling film and i've never seen it being praised for that. It's a Space Opera; it's supposed to be melodramatic. I get why you don't like it and some of your criticisms are things that fans have to accept like the hokey acting but i don't think it's fair criticising it for lacking something it was never trying for.
It being a soap opera shouldn't prevent it from being somewhat realistic, you can have exaggerated characters and situations but that shouldn't stop the film from being grounded in its established reality, there are some moments in the films that can't be described as exaggerated but simply unreal.

I've seen many great films that could be described as melodramatic and they are far from being unrealistic.

movies can be okay...
But the things you didn't like about it, @Okay, was part of its charm and why people fell in love with it. I understand if you wouldn't click with such things, but being a big space soap opera with cheesy romance and melodrama and whatnot, that's Star Wars for ya...
I totally get that and that's fine, but like you said, that's simply not my thing.

@Okay

Hey, thanks for the recommends. I'll try and work them in. I've actually been considering watching some newer movies I fear I'll hate so at least my thoughts will be semi-relevant, you know? 41 is a helluv'n age.

It being a soap opera shouldn't prevent it from being somewhat realistic, you can have exaggerated characters and situations but that shouldn't stop the film from being grounded in its established reality, there are some moments in the films that can't be described as exaggerated but simply unreal.

I've seen many great films that could be described as melodramatic and they are far from being unrealistic.
"The Empire Strikes Back" is the "Godspeed You Black Emperor" of the OT. Try that one, instead. It throws way more shade than the other two. It's the cool middle child.

It's a flexible fantasy world, there's no established reality in the way you're describing. The whole point is that it's supposed to be an imaginative adventure film there was no intention to restrict the potential avenues they could go down with it by attempting to make it realistic. Of course some moments are unreal, which ones out of interest though?

I'm not even disagreeing with anything you are saying really, if this is something you can't get on board with then that's cool it's not for you but you are criticising it for not being a film it wasn't trying to be.

And don't forget Duets which I may have to watch again. I see Huey in an action role but not strictly action. A lot of drama and maybe some climactic action, like, a thriller, like, he has to do this or else things are going to be bad for him and people he loves type of thing. He has that face and demeanor that would make him an interesting presence to see more of on the silver screen.
I've never seen Duets...I think my white hot hate of Gwyneth Paltrow has something to do with it.

I've never seen Duets...I think my white hot hate of Gwyneth Paltrow has something to do with it.
Well, she is the star, and I'm not a fan, myself..but..it does have Paul Giamatti, if you like him (I do).

movies can be okay...
It's a flexible fantasy world, there's no established reality in the way you're describing. The whole point is that it's supposed to be an imaginative adventure film there was no intention to restrict the potential avenues they could go down with it by attempting to make it realistic. Of course some moments are unreal, which ones out of interest though?

I'm not even disagreeing with anything you are saying really, if this is something you can't get on board with then that's cool it's not for you but you are criticising it for not being a film it wasn't trying to be.
Again, I'm not even criticising the world and the universe of Star Wars, but rather the happenings. For example, most of the action gets pretty unrealistic, I mean just in that short clip that I've posted you could see what I'm talking about, realistically, if that alien or monster or whatever it's called wanted to infect harm on Luke, he could of easily did that, but their altercation plays out in a cartoon-ish manner that is usually found in a Jackie Chan movie. It's the 70's/80's but still...
If the film was self aware of its absurd moments or poked fun at them, then this wouldn't be an issue, but since all of the action scenes are played out seriously, while also looking silly and WAY TOO convenient, then I'm left with no choice but to be annoyed at their execution which is unreal.

For example, most of the action gets pretty unrealistic, I mean just in that short clip that I've posted you could see what I'm talking about, realistically, if that alien or monster or whatever it's called wanted to infect harm on Luke, he could of easily did that, but their altercation plays out in a cartoon-ish manner
I can't remember that full fight and the clip you posted is only seven seconds long so can you tell me what is so unrealistic about it? That's a slow moving character against the agile Luke so i'd say it's perfectly reasonable that he'd be able to dodge it. It's dated of course so it looks a bit dodgey but that has nothing to do with how plausible that situation is.

Again though i don't remember the full fight so maybe i'm forgetting something about it.

movies can be okay...
I can't remember that full fight and the clip you posted is only seven seconds long so can you tell me what is so unrealistic about it? That's a slow moving character against the agile Luke so i'd say it's perfectly reasonable that he'd be able to dodge it. It's dated of course so it looks a bit dodgey but that has nothing to do with how plausible that situation is.

Again though i don't remember the full fight so maybe i'm forgetting something about it.
How is it a slow moving character ? I'm obviously not an expert of these things, but that creature literally came out of nowhere (which doesn't even make sense since Luke should of been able to see him coming but whatever), caught Luke off guard, jumped on him and continuously swung on him in an anything but a slow pace, the fact that Luke dodged all of those hits while on the ground is pretty unlikely, the fact that the creature kept aiming like a moron was also annoying and convenient, the fact that the scene ends with him shaking his weapon in the air like that instead of attacking Luke is just....I don't know what to say about that. I don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking which is what I'm doing right now, but these kind of things happen in literally almost every action sequence especially the lightsaber fights.

How is it a slow moving character ? I'm obviously not an expert of these things, but that creature literally came out of nowhere (which doesn't even make sense since Luke should of been able to see him coming but whatever), caught Luke off guard, jumped on him and continuously swung on him in an anything but a slow pace, the fact that Luke dodged all of those hits while on the ground is pretty unlikely, the fact that the creature kept aiming like a moron was also annoying and convenient, the fact that the scene ends with him shaking his weapon in the air like that instead of attacking Luke is just....I don't know what to say about that. I don't want to seem like I'm nitpicking which is what I'm doing right now, but these kind of things happen in literally almost every action sequence especially the lightsaber fights.
It's slow compared to Luke is more what i meant plus it's wielding a weapon. It doesn't jump on him it jumps towards him as he lands quite a distance back after the initial hit, then he rolls out of the way of its swing. I'm not sure what is the problem with its aiming, it aims where he is every time but he moves out of the way. The biggest problem there is Mark Hamill isn't as agile as Luke is supposed to be so he doesn't pull it off as well as he should. The creature is mindless; it's basically a wild animal so i think it's believable that it would react in a crazy way after being frustrated by not being able to hit him. I agree that particular reaction is dumb looking but i think him reacting out of frustration itself is not unlikely.

Nitpick all you want, it's better talking about specific examples rather than going round in circles like we were earlier. The lightsaber sequences are bad, they are really slow and boring; that's just no CGI/motion capture/whatever though. Weren't those lightsabers really heavy (i mean that the actors used not in the story) or am i imagining that?