Hollywood Cliches

Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Let's list some of the things Hollywood uses over and over again to insult our intelligence. I'll start with a few:

1. The glass cutter- someone using one to break into a house (it would never work; if you've cut glass before, you'd know why)

2. The count down - does Hollywood think we can't count? The timer is on 30 seconds, and the hero is too far away to reach whatever it is, but 30 seconds later the timer is on 18 seconds. Fifteen seconds later, the timer is on 8 seconds, and so on.

3. Red wire or green wire - how many times have we seen a person having to choose between two wires to cut. Everyone is holding their breath as the hero cuts the wire, unsure which one will save the day and which one will destroy the planet!! (pulleeese!)

4. Car ramps? - instead of plowing into a parked car, cars get catapulted into the air as they hit these stationary objects. The cars also do a few side flips (from hitting a parked car, mind you).

5. The knock-out punch - hitting someone to knock them out (even if they're the character's friend, and it's for their own safety). Heroes and villians get the snot beat out of them, but if you want to knock someone out, just punch them in the face or hit them over the head with a vase.

Okay, there's a few. I'd like to see some more
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Originally posted by Mark
Let's list some of the things Hollywood uses over and over again to insult our intelligence.
Reese Witherspoon.... oh, and Adam Sandler.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
If this makes any sense, and if not I apologize but I notice a lot in movies...
That when leaving a house They usually leave the front door wide open. Who walks out of their house and leaves the front door wide open?

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

The Grand Vizier!
Every car seem to be loaded with explosives. Car slowly goes down a ditch? >KABOOOOOM<

All the bad guys apparently skipped target practice 101... And in any shoot out, someone’s gun is going to jam and it never dawns on them to pick up one of the dozen or so scattered around at their feet…

Females always hear a strange noise when they’re undressing… of course they don’t hear it again until they’re in their underwear at which point they go to investigate.

If the bad guy takes the elevator, the good guy goes down the stairs and meets him at the bottom... even if they're 20 floors up... and... the good guy can still chase the bad guy if need be.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Let's not forget, the girl running upstairs when there is a 'bad guy' in the house.

It was beauty killed the beast.
When a car is shot it will promptly blowup, and it doesn't matter what weapon is used or where the car is shot. A direct hit to the radio's antenna fired from a water pistol is significant enough to cause an impressive fireball so powerful it leaves a 3 foot hole in the ground and propels the vehicle 25 feet in the air.

If you find a body, or kill someone on accident you never ever call the police even though you would be cleared of any wrongdoing. You always attempt to bury the body or hide it in some other fashion; that way the plot of the movie you are starring in can proceed and get thicker.

When a door needs to be busted down, which happens a lot, the hero's sidekick will try to, unsucessfully, ram it with his entire body before the hero finally tells him to step aside then effortlessly kicks the door in.

A novel adaptation.
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity

Reese Witherspoon.... oh, and Adam Sandler.
Sexy Celebrity make funny!

Kong's reference to breaking down a door made me think of another one:

Using a credit card to open a locked door.

BANNED
That's not a cliche--it can be done!

Put me in your pocket...
Originally posted by Caitlyn
Females always hear a strange noise when they’re undressing… of course they don’t hear it again until they’re in their underwear at which point they go to investigate.

I think there are too many men writing the scripts.

More cliches......
• Young beautiful people in high career positions.

• Cinderella stories...there seems to be alot of contemporary type versions.

• Potty humor.

Regarding the credit card:

Sorry, Django, it won't work. Go lock yourself out of your place and use a credit card to get in. It won't work. If the door opens to the inside (or at least opposite the person trying to get in), there's door stop that blocks the seal of the door and prevents a card from passing through. Also, there's no credit card that will pass through a dead bolt (except in the movies).

Don't be Feisty now...
-People who drink and take drugs tend to look very good
-Action films tend to always involve romance now... actually every film tends to involve romance now...besides maybe horror, but then again somebody will probably have a woman fall in love with a man that is actually a zombie and then she'll have to decide whether she should continue to love a dead guy.

DonJuan de la Nooch
when a guy and a girl are running away from something, the guy always leads the girl by the hand. The girl could be a track star but it still ends up that way.

In a chase scene, if a person jumps into the car, the car will always fail to start. It will only start when the person that is doing the chasing gets within a couple of feet from the car.

No one seems to get exact change in movieland. The item could cost $1.25, the person will give a 5 dollar bill and walk away.

In the movies, a person who was drinking the night before will wake up with a massive hangover. Most of the time you can tell that person is hungover because they are wearing sunglasses and their hair is all a mess. If there is an emergency or a situation that needs immediate attention, all that person has to do is splash some water on their face or sip a cup of coffee then they are cured.

When a guy saves a female from danger or stands up for that person. They are going to have sex.

Police officers all have hair triggers and have shootouts at least once a week.

DonJuan de la Nooch
Originally posted by Mr.Mister
-People who drink and take drugs tend to look very good

I agree with you on that one. I remember seeing Elizabeth Hurley in Dangerous Ground playing a crackhead. Yeah, like I believed that one.

When people walk into a house, or are investigating a noise in a scarey movie, they never turn on the lights as they go!

There's one detail in fight movies, that always have made me furious because it's stupidity!!!
The villain or the hero, can be hited in the groin over and over again and they only need a few seconds to recover!!!!
C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Who writes these scenes?!?! Women?!?!?!?
A man has the obligation to know how it feels!!!

BANNED
Originally posted by Mark
Regarding the credit card:

Sorry, Django, it won't work. Go lock yourself out of your place and use a credit card to get in. It won't work. If the door opens to the inside (or at least opposite the person trying to get in), there's door stop that blocks the seal of the door and prevents a card from passing through. Also, there's no credit card that will pass through a dead bolt (except in the movies).
Well, naturally, it depends on the type of lock. But I have used a credit card to open a locked door, so I know it works. I accidentally locked myself out of my room door in an apartment I was staying at one time and successfully used a credit card to open the door.

If you say you've done it, I won't argue that, but I'd like to see an explanation of how. I think it must have had more to do with the door than the lock.

All doors have door stop to prevent them from swinging both ways (except doors that are meant to swing both ways). Standard doors swing inside. The door stop (the trim piece that runs along the jamb) is what the door butts up against when shutting the door to prevent it from swinging to the outside. If a person were on the outside, the door stop would prevent them from slipping a credit card through. This is true for interior doors as well (bathroom, bedroom, closet, etc.). Everyone reading this thread, take a minute to walk outside the room you are in and shut the door. If it were locked, how would you be able to slip a credit card through to open it? If anyone thinks they could do it, please explain.

My point was this: if there are special doors and special locks in which a credit card could open them, they exist abundantly in the movies (and in Django's case, the door he opened).

Actually some of the older locks can be opened with a credit card…There was an incident not too long ago where residents in an older apartment complex reported things disappearing from their apartments on a regular basis but there was no evidence of forced entry…turned out to be a local teen using his own cancelled credit card…