Movies that change you

Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
2001:A Space Odyssey has probably made the most lasting impressions upon me and my ideals, however.
How would you say 2001 changed your ideals? What was it that struck a chord? The stuff with HAL? The altered perception scenes at the end? The monkey's advancing into the bone-wielding age? Stuff like that? Those are the things that stick out in my mind - that and the weird enfusing "pace" about it. Like an isolated heartbeat in space, if that isnt being to pretentious. That's how i remember it (i suppose that's probably just me muddling up stuff like: the isolation themes, the slow tempo of the action, and the things like HAL slowing-down while singing counterpointed by the guy's breathing - if i remember right) I do seem to remember the action happening in lulls and flash points, even the the latter could be agonisingly slow. Um, huhumph, yes, just trying justify the heartbeat comment really.

What ideals did you take away from it Young Henry?

I really can't say truely, that there are any movies at all, that changed my outlook on life. I mean, there are times where something my enlighten me on something I already knew, or made me appreciate certain people or beliefs, but not where I would change the way I am.

Books, however, have always had a more positive impact on my rationale. That's where I can be changed.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

[quote=LordSlaytan]I really can't say truely, that there are any movies at all, that changed my outlook on life. I mean, there are times where something my enlighten me on something I already knew, or made me appreciate certain people or beliefs, but not where I would change the way I am.

Books, however, have always had a more positive impact on my rationale. That's where I can be changed.[/QUOTE

I have the book for you: 'How to Cure Deviant Behaviour'

Originally Posted by Golgot
How would you say 2001 changed your ideals? What was it that struck a chord? The stuff with HAL? The altered perception scenes at the end? The monkey's advancing into the bone-wielding age? Stuff like that? Those are the things that stick out in my mind - that and the weird enfusing "pace" about it. Like an isolated heartbeat in space, if that isnt being to pretentious. That's how i remember it (i suppose that's probably just me muddling up stuff like: the isolation themes, the slow tempo of the action, and the things like HAL slowing-down while singing counterpointed by the guy's breathing - if i remember right) I do seem to remember the action happening in lulls and flash points, even the the latter could be agonisingly slow. Um, huhumph, yes, just trying justify the heartbeat comment really.

What ideals did you take away from it Young Henry?
Well, I have always taken 2001 as basically the opposite ideology to Solaris. Where Solaris was stressing to me that science has achieved what it could in modern society, and spirtuality should lead us forward from now on, 2001 stressed that science was the future. However, these are loose and very personal interpretations of the material, quite obviously.

2001 is also my favorite movie, by the way, so it has had a greater impact on my movie-tastes than on my personal self.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Henry The Kid
Well, I have always taken 2001 as basically the opposite ideology to Solaris. Where Solaris was stressing to me that science has achieved what it could in modern society, and spirtuality should lead us forward from now on, 2001 stressed that science was the future. However, these are loose and very personal interpretations of the material, quite obviously.

2001 is also my favorite movie, by the way, so it has had a greater impact on my movie-tastes than on my personal self.
That's interesting. I picked up on what i thought were techno-caution themes - mainly HAL being asked to do too much. And the ending always seemed to have a strong "spiritual" component to it to me. But i think they definitely wanted to have a "look where we've got to" angle, with science being the source of our advances (if anything it was whether we as humans could cope/deal with the advantages that preoccupied the original writer perhaps?) I've gotta see both the "Solarii", they sound classy.

Slayty, i see what you mean about how films just make you respect someone else's perspective more, or put something you believe in a new light/way. That's what i suspect is the most they can expect to achieve. Books are definitely a much more cerebral process, and can break down ideas and alter conscious thought and belief systems much more readily. ****, maybe we should start a books-that-changed-you thread? I can think of about twenty.

Still, coz i'd love to make movies (first and foremost, but also ones...) that touch not only people who agree with me but those who are almost diametrically opposed to me, and ones who've never even entertained related thoughts, I'm gonna keep pushing on with this theme. Those things have got to be the biggest tests of all. Speaking to the converted is satisfying on minority themes coz at least it gives the watcher belief that this is a concurrent and supported view, but wouldn't you love to be able to "table" a new motion inside someone's mental board meeting?