The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

...Haven’t watched Sin City since the theater. I was pretty lukewarm on a movie that doesn’t seem to lend itself to indifference. I’m in no hurry to go back to it, but maybe someday.
I haven't seen Sin City but I'm curious as to what you mean by, 'doesn’t seem to lend itself to indifference'. Does that mean the film is preachy?

I haven't seen Sin City but I'm curious as to what you mean by, 'doesn’t seem to lend itself to indifference'. Does that mean the film is preachy?
I suspect they mean you'll either love it or hate it, with little middleground. Preachy is not really something that could be ascribed to Frank Miller's world of SIN CITY.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It just seems like a love it or hate it film because it’s so stylized. My opinion is definitely anecdotal, but I don’t feel like I ever hear people say, “it’s fine”, when Sin City comes up.

I suspect they mean you'll either love it or hate it, with little middleground. Preachy is not really something that could be ascribed to Frank Miller's world of SIN CITY.
It just seems like a love it or hate it film because it’s so stylized. My opinion is definitely anecdotal, but I don’t feel like I ever hear people say, “it’s fine”, when Sin City comes up.
Ah, thanks guys, that all makes sense now.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#26. Sin City (2005) - I've seen it couple of times, in theatre first. I have it on DVD too. I remember how eagerly awaited its release was back in the mid 2000's. It was so intensively advertised everywhere all around. That's true, this film brings diverse feelings, it is good, I like it and at the same time I think of it as a mixed bag work.
I knew, it is a popular title in the forum and it probably doesn't need my support, anyway, it was somewhere in the far end on my radar for this countdown.

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... SIN CITY

RT – 76%, IMDb – 8.0

Roger Ebert said:

"The movie is not about narrative but about style. It internalizes the harsh world of the Frank Miller Sin City comic books and processes it through computer effects, grotesque makeup, lurid costumes and dialogue that chops at the language of noir. " (read full review here)
Ryan Brown, from Medium, said:

"The film is neo-noir on loads of crack, oozing with visual finesse in every scene, every shot, and every wild frame." (read full review here)
@John McClane said:

"It’s hard for one to describe Sin City and its sinning inhabitants. One can only hope to give a film such as this enough credit in a review. To amount to the level as such as it in words can only be so difficult. It’s astonishingly hard to amount to the film’s greatness in sentences or paragraphs. Hopefully these words can give Sin City the proper treatment of glory it deserves; damn, sin is good." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... MEMORIES OF MURDER

RT – 95%, IMDb – 8.1

Seongyong Cho, from RogerEbert.com, said:

"Loosely based on Kim Gwang-rim's stage play Come to See Me, the director/co-writer Bong Joon-ho made a superb country thriller depending on mood and atmosphere. With its stunning cinematography, its scenes are filled with a unique feeling of the specific time and place, along with the subtle sense of uneasiness." (read full review here)
MoMA said:

"Bong Joon-ho offers his own grimly sardonic take on the hardboiled noir procedural, using police blotter and news accounts of South Korea’s first known serial killer to meditate on civilization and its discontents." (read full review here)
@aronisred said:

"this is one of it not the most satisfying serial killer movies ever where they don't catch the killer. Its about the process. Even something like Zodiac doesn't feel satisfying. But for some reason this movie felt satisfying because the movie plays up the 'no one is perfect' card." (read full review here)

Every time I see people giving Zodiac high praise, I tell myself I should rewatch it, but I never do. I thought it was okay when I saw it, but I feel like I'd probably appreciate it more now if I ever did give it another chance. Kind of similarly, Sin City is a film I turned off after 15 minutes, though I think the stylistic choices that I found off-putting before might not bother me so much now.

I watched Memories of Murder in the 2nd MoFo Movie Roulette, and wrote this at the time:

Memories of Murder / 살인의 추억 (2003)
Direxted By: Bong Joon-ho
Starring: Song Kang-ho, Kim Sang-kyung, Kim Roi-ha

Honestly, I don't really have much to say about Memories of Murder. It made good use of its atmosphere, and has great performances - particularly from Song Kang-ho and Kim Sang-kyung. The cinematography is not as captivating as it is in Mother or Parasite, but considering this was only Bong Joon-ho's second film, its still fairly impressive.

The story is almost as much about police brutality as it is about Korea's first serial killer. The focus is also more on the detectives and their obsession with finding the culprit, leading each of them to question the procedural methods they once believed in. Despite the subject matter, the tone isn't that dark overall, as comedic elements are woven in throughout the film.

I can imagine that the lack of closure might not be satisfactory for viewers who didn't know that Memories of Murder was loosely based on a real, unsolved case. Personally I didn't mind the ending, but I did expect something a little more dramatic that would carry further weight than what actually happened. I still enjoyed the film though, and I'm glad that I finally watched it.
I actually rewatched it a little while ago, and while I still don't like it as much as Mother or Parasite, it managed to make my ballot at #17. I actually didn't initially consider it, but while looking at lists other people had compiled online, I saw it come up a few times, checked its eligibility, and reconsidered it.

I think what convinced me was the futility of it all, which is a fairly common theme in noirs. Adding the film's atmosphere to that, I was able to get that neo-noir vibe I based my ballot on, and I'm happy to see others thought the same as well.

Seen: 39/76

My List:
02. Blade Runner 2049 (2017) - #44
03. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #42
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
14. Angel Heart (1987) - #31
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
17. Memories of Murder (2003) - #25
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

I still have never seen Memories of a Murder. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of Sin City. Since it's an anthology movie and I read some of the source graphic novels, it all kind of blurs together. Unfortunately it kind of just exists in my mine in that juvenile region of something that's trying too hard (the source material probably isn't helping on that front), which, maybe if I did rewatch it, I'd give it a fairer shake, but that's just where it lives in my mind's eye.

1 for 2 today and neither made my ballot. It's not looking too good for my list. I have mixed feelings about Sin City. I appreciate the craftsmanship on display but just can't get past the underlying puerile aspects. I haven't seen Memories of a Murder but I have loved most if not all of the Korean cinema I've seen. I need to watch it.

51 of 75 seen so far.

I did not expect much from Sin City but I pretty much loved it-my #22

I did expect a lot from Memories of Murder but the comedic elements kept me from loving it.

1. Killer Joe (#66)
3. Gone Baby Gone (#64)
4. The Player (#47)
9. Mona Lisa (#78)
11. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (#62)
12. Body Double (#69)
15. The Driver (#79)
17. Night Moves (#40)
21. Manhunter (#77)
22. Sin City (#26)
24. Bound (#59)

I am going to predict....a Kurosawa and a Tarantino in tomorrow's reveals.
I'll go Kurosawa and Nicolas Winding Refn..

Two for me. Sin City is a blast of pure comic book style pulp and I had it at #16. Memories of Murder is definitely the film that made me initially notice Bong Joon Ho, and I put it at #4. As a side note they did finally solve those murders long after the movie came out, and it turned out to be a guy already serving a life sentence who eventually confessed after his DNA was linked to several of the victims.

My List:
4. Memories of Murder (#25)
5. True Romance (#60)
11. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (#100)
12. Branded to Kill (#71)
13. The Man Who Wasn't There (#27)
14. Blast of Silence (#48)
16. Sin City (#26)
18. Following (#84)
21. Mother (#67)
22. Purple Noon (#94)

I like Sin City well enough but it doesn't have that draw it did initially. Still cool movie to have in this countdown - it makes sense. Memories of a Murder is an excellent film that I couldn't leave off my list. I had it at #15.

4. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)
10. Alphaville (1965)
13. The Conversation (1974)
14. Zodiac (2007)
15. Memories of Murder (2003)
17. Fireworks (1997)
18. Pale Flower (1964)
19. The Grifters (1990)
20. Inherent Vice (2014)
22. The American Friend (1977)
25. Série noire (1979) - One pointer
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I think one of the main keys for noir/neo-noir is for the protagonist to be morally conflicted, which Harry clearly is. I also didn't think of it, but I agree there's more here than in some of the other films that have come up.
You're right. Good point about being morally conflicted.

Sin City (2005)

This picture was a new watch for me. It’s a full-bodied satire of the noir style based upon Frank Miller’s comic book series, Sin City. In replication of a comic book look the filming technology, or “visual shaping” was outstanding. The enhanced black and white photography was occasionally peppered with stark spot insertions of bright color. Consqently the film won the Technical Grand Prize at the Cannes film festival.

It boasted an all star cast, including Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Benicio del Toro, Jessica Alba, Alexi Biedel, Rutger Hauer, and Clive Owen. The direction is chiefly by Robert Rodriguez (Machete). with a little help from Frank Miller and Quentin Tarantino. Rodriguez also filmed and edited.

The picture is complex with competing story lines presented in six sections, so I won’t attempt a synopsis. There is lots of graphic violence present in a matrix of exaggerated comic book style, and one has to suspend credulity when listening to hammy overly dramatic lines uttered by the actors. For those who appreciate unconventional or strange productions, they will enjoy this picture. But to me the picture was a heavy handed, although technically accomplished, spoof of noir that had little appeal.