Tools    

Following Netta's win for Israel last night, it's "next year in Jerusalem"

Here, 5 personal favourites from Eurovision history--

Israel, 1979 winner, Hallelujah

France, 1977 winner, L'oiseau et l'enfant

Sweden, 1974 winner, Waterloo

Portugal, 2017 winner, Amar pelos dois

Germany, 1982 winner, Ein bisschen Frieden

This year's winner is the only song from the competition I've heard. If it's the best Eurovision had to offer 2018 I probably would have pierced my ears if forced to watch. Absolutely terrible song.

P.S. It always cracks me up to see Israel and Australia in this contest.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
This year's winner is the only song from the competition I've heard. If it's the best Eurovision had to offer 2018 I probably would have pierced my ears if forced to watch. Absolutely terrible song.

Why? It's already been explaiaall ned.
There might not be an Israel in a year so not gonna argue with you at this point.

If it's the best Eurovision had to offer 2018
Our favourites were Italy and France, each to their own.
(The French song is about a young child who survives the dreaded Mediterranean crossing that has claimed many refugee lives in recent times).

Fab countries, big Eurovision fans - great to have them on board.

Please excuse typos.

I have nothing against them as countries, pretty much the opposite actually. It just feels weird to have them in a European contest, that's all.

And I haven't watched these in years as they've become so damn politicized.

I have nothing against them as countries, pretty much the opposite actually. It just feels weird to have them in a European contest, that's all.

And I haven't watched these in years as they've become so damn politicized.
It was great. All about love and not giving in.

And my country is full of peeps related to you, bless, so why begrudge it. Where are you from,?

And my country is full of peeps related to you, bless, so why begrudge it. Where are you from,?
Begrudge? Like I said I have nothing but respect for both of those countries. They're just not in Europe so I find it funny that they compete in a European song contest (politically I get Israel but why Australia - why not rest of the Commonwealth of Nations?).

I'm from Finland (zero points)

Begrudge? Like I said I have nothing but respect for both of those countries. They're just not in Europe so I find it funny that they compete in a European song contest (politically I get Israel but why Australia - why not rest of the Commonwealth of Nations?).

I love Finland. I fact I'm currently wearing a scarf my mail bought me in Finland. I wanna go, dammit.

Just playing, mate. I think it's hilarious too but Eurovision is Massive down here and have been since before ABBA won. Huge fans HUGE. aussies have been competing for years.

My boyfriend was a big fan of this:

I love Finland. I fact I'm currently wearing a scarf my mail bought me in Finland. I wanna go, dammit.

Just playing, mate. I think it's hilarious too but Eurovision is Massive down here and have been since before ABBA won. Huge fans HUGE. aussies have been competing for years.
In Finland Eurovision is kinda big too. Every year our media finds some way tell people how everyone is in love with our song and that we're one of the biggest favorites to win. Then the night comes and we're usually in bottom two (we have the second most last places and seven times we've missed the final including three years in a row 2015-17)

In Finland Eurovision is kinda big too. Every year our media finds some way tell people how everyone is in love with our song and that we're one of the biggest favorites to win. Then the night comes and we're usually in bottom two (we have the second most last places and seven times we've missed the final including three years in a row 2015-17)
Last year I think it was we were in the top five or something. It was a nice song and he's a lovely guy. This year, equally lovely person and gorgeous song, we came 20th. Australia - any excuse for a party, especially with so much heartache in the world. The royal wedding is our next party and that started a few weeks ago. Wooooot

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I wasn't a fan of the Israeli song but I guess it was the most memorably quirky. I liked the Swedish entry. Cannot believe so many people voted for that awful Moldovan song rather than Australia, UK or Ukraine. Finland and Portugal were pretty hard done by as well.

I didn't the chicken song at first but she's obviously very quirky and Eurovision loves quirky. I winced a bit everytime Ms White hit the high notes but the way she handled the security breach was phenomenal, and the whole country just about (except for the bigots) is proud of Jessica for showcasing the indigenous people here. And she was graceful about it. I love her.

Channel surfing and saw violin guy. Wow he sure can belt it out while dancing. Silly lyrics but he's pretty fit. Whooshka. Took my breath away.

I loved Israel's entry. I picked it from the semi's and was really pleased to see it win. If Cyprus had beaten it (which was a lot of hype I just didn't understand) I'd have been gutted. I disliked most of the songs that have been mentioned here. Sod all the political statements, make a decent song. Better yet, do something crazy or quirky. Or just odd. It's Eurovision! If I wanted to listen to the same kind of music as on the radio, I'd listen to the radio. I also liked Moldova's song. Love Moldova. They almost always put forward a proper Eurovision entry.

This is the least interesting Moldovan entry I can think of and it still has a rapper arriving on a scooter.

As for Australia and Israel (as well as a few other countries really. Turkey anyone?) being allowed to enter, it's because of the EBU. I think I'm right in saying that Australia, while not a current member, is an associate member, which is why they were allowed to take part. Plus, it's huge there, as Dani has said and so it's growing the brand. Were this opened up, I assume that any country could take part, so long as they were a member or associate member.

to the subject: Australia in the Eurovision

It's now closer than you might think - as the latest maps show:

The song that won was terrible.

to the subject: Australia in the Eurovision

It's now closer than you might think - as the latest maps show:

LMAO!!!