What is your age?

Tools    

BANNED
I'm 34. What about the rest of you? What's the age breakup in this forum? It's important to know each other's ages, so we know how to interact without treading on each other's toes.

BANNED
Thanks. That's useful. However, how old are each of you? I don't want to make the mistake of addressing a 30-year old as a teenager or vice versa.

Most of the regulars have their birthdays in their profiles. You really do despise legwork, don't you? Regardless, you should address people based on the way they handle themselves above all else.

I suspect (scratch that: I'm sure of it) that this is yet another attempt to discredit the opposition (from yet another angle). It won't work, though...your lack of popularity here extends to all ages, creeds and nationalities.

Oh, and a typo has been fixed above. The breakdown is as of TODAY, not one year ago.

BANNED
Sorry, bud, but, firstly, your age is in no way indicated in your profile. It only lists your date of birth, not the year.

Regarding your "treat people as they conduct themselves" deal, sorry, but it isn't so simple. If you are a teenager who wants to be treated as an adult, it's just great. Life is easier for you. As an adult, I have a whole lot of complications to worry about, not to mention legal complications. There are issues that go beyond the obvious. This is in no way an attempt to discredit anyone. The fact is, I need to know your age to be able to relate with you properly. I have been honest and disclosed my own age. All I ask from others is the same courtesy.

I do not believe your assertion that this is not an attempt to discredit anyone, but regardless, I'm 18. Most of the other users have their year of birth in their profiles.

Regarding your "treat people as they conduct themselves" deal, sorry, but it isn't so simple. If you are a teenager who wants to be treated as an adult, it's just great. Life is easier for you. As an adult, I have a whole lot of complications to worry about, not to mention legal complications. There are issues that go beyond the obvious.
This seems like a lot of fluff to me. There are surely some situations in which knowing that what you're reading is coming from someone very young might be highly relevant, but in the bulk of discussions on this forum, knowing how the person handles themselves, and simply reading their posts, speaks more to their character than their age ever could.

BANNED
Originally posted by Yoda
I do not believe your assertion that this is not an attempt to discredit anyone, but regardless, I'm 18. Most of the other users have their year of birth in their profiles.
Well, I have to hand it to you. You are very mature for an 18-year-old. I never would have suspected. If I had been aware of your age all along, I probably wouldn't have said about 75% of the things I have to you. (Again, that is a rough estimation, not based on any sort of scientific study)

Originally posted by Yoda

This seems like a lot of fluff to me. There are surely some situations in which knowing that what you're reading is coming from someone very young might be highly relevant, but in the bulk of discussions on this forum, knowing how the person handles themselves, and simply reading their posts, speaks more to their character than their age ever could.
A lot depends on the context. If you were a peer, I could get away with talking with you in a more familiar manner. As a 30-something adult talking to a teenager, I have to measure my words a little carefully, because I don't want to say something that might be misinterpreted or taken awry. As it is, I have said enough on this forum to have seriously marred my image among the youth crowd that seems to constitute the forum in the main. I will have to watch my words in the future. Anyway, I have to give you the credit for doing an excellent job managing this forum and for your intelligence, depth of knowledge and level of maturity. Says a lot. Keep up the good work.

My life isn't written very well.
Django, it's nice to hear you finally compliment Yoda. I think he deserves at least that much from you.

But...I think I'm gonna bite at what I think you're trying to provoke. There is a constant in your recent posts about how, now that you know some members are minors, you will address them differently. Now, saying it once would have been enough, but I've noticed that you keep making members' ages here an issue as to how to address them in the future.

Question: Are you telling us that you have been having long and intellegent conversations for months now with men and women you didn't know were "minors"? How does one debate with someone else for long periods of time, and get intellegent responses, then suddenly wonder if the person is not a peer. To me, just the fact that you carried on such long debates means that age was not a problem. So why is it now?

Another thing, and I only bring this up because you seem to have this condesending attitude toward minors, why did you sign up under different usernames, writing in language (Vlad, etc.) that was so childlike(less mature than say an 18 year old)? I'm 35, and as your peer, that seemed quite infantile. Again why?

Biting at your bait,
reporter.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

BANNED
Well, reporter, when it comes to discussing the issues, strictly, age is not a relevant factor. When it comes to more personal issues such as behavior or carrying on a feud, etc., age is everything. The last thing I want to do is get caught up in a situation which would be extremely embarassing for me, that is, get into a verbal fight with someone almost half my age. It's not that I don't respect Yoda's or anyone else's opinion--when it comes to discussing the issues, as I said above, age is not an issue. But when my "behavior" is called into question and I am asked to answer to my words in that context, age is everything--I have to know where the criticism is coming from and how to go about wording my response. It has nothing to do with patronizing anyone. Again, I repeat, if we stick strictly to the issues, age is not a factor. At least, that is the ideal I aim for.

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally posted by Django
The last thing I want to do is get caught up in a situation which would be extremely embarassing for me, that is, get into a verbal fight with someone almost half my age. It's not that I don't respect Yoda's or anyone else's opinion--when it comes to discussing the issues, as I said above, age is not an issue.
If age is not an issue then why would it be embarrassing for you to argue with someone almost half your age?

I turned 18 this past May.

I think you want to know our ages for ammunition, so if we say something you don't like, you can say 'well you're just a kid & you don't know what I do because I'm older' or some such bull****.

You didn't answer reporter's questions.

BANNED
Originally posted by MinionTV

If age is not an issue then why would it be embarrassing for you to argue with someone almost half your age?
Well, like I said, when you stick to the issues, age is not an issue. When you argue about personal matters, like conduct, age is everything

Originally posted by Steve
I turned 18 this past May.

I think you want to know our ages for ammunition, so if we say something you don't like, you can say 'well you're just a kid & you don't know what I do because I'm older' or some such bull****.

You didn't answer reporter's questions.
Cuts both ways, dude! You have my age too! Anyway, I'm not the kind of guy who patronizes people on account of their age. However, if someone makes, e.g., an insulting remark or utters a profanity, then I need to know where it is coming from in order to respond to that appropriately. Anything less would be dishonest.

Personally I think Django’s new found fascination with age stems from a little more then just wanting extra ammo to use against anyone on MoFo… What did you do Django?

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

My life isn't written very well.
I can almost see where you're coming from in regards to my first question, but I don't think you answered my second. But that's OK if you don't want to answer it.

Let me make sure I understand this:

If someone calls you something outside your name, you will first consider their age, then respond? But if someone, during the course of a debate challenges you within the context of the discussion, you will not consider their age? Why not?

BANNED
Originally posted by Caitlyn
Personally I think Django’s new found fascination with age stems from a little more then just wanting extra ammo to use against anyone on MoFo… What did you do Django?
Nothing . . . so far. I just want to avoid a potentially embarassing situation for myself in the future.

BANNED
Originally posted by r3port3r66
I can almost see where you're coming from in regards to my first question, but I don't think you answered my second. But that's OK if you don't want to answer it.

Let me make sure I understand this:

If someone calls you something outside your name, you will first consider their age, then respond? But if someone, during the course of a debate challenges you within the context of the discussion, you will not consider their age? Why not?
Regarding your second question, no comment.
Regarding the issue you raised above, the reason I will not consider their age in the second case is that if someone raises a point or issue related to the subject under discussion, then I will address the point or issue regardless of its source, because if the issue has any merit, it deserves a response regardless of the source. My response will be directed to the issue rather than the person raising it.

I must become Caligari..!
Originally posted by Sexy Celebrity
Who's the 80 year old MoFo?
????
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...