How about best speeches/monologues?

Tools    

The Gemini Killer: (The Exorcist III Legion)

"I like plays. The good ones... Shakespeare... I like Titus Andronicus the best; it's sweet. Incidentally, did you know that you are talking to an artist? I sometimes do special things to my victims: things that are creative. Of course, it takes knowledge, pride in your work... For example, a decapitated head can continue to see for approximately twenty seconds. So when I have one that's gawking, I always hold it up so that it can see its body. It's a little extra I throw in for no added charge. I must admit it makes me chuckle every time. Life is fun. It's a wonderful life, in fact... for some."

Chief Bromden: (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest)
"My pop was real big. He did like he pleased. That's why everybody worked on him. The last time I seen my father, he was blind and diseased from drinking. And every time he put the bottle to his mouth, he don't suck out of it, it sucks out of him until he shrunk so wrinkled and yellow even the dogs didn't know him."

Atticus Finch: (To Kill a Mockingbird)
" I remember when my daddy gave me that gun. He told me that I should never point it at anything in the house. And that he'd rather I'd shoot at tin cans in the backyard, but he said that sooner or later he supposed the temptation to go after birds would be too much, and that I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted, if I could hit 'em, but to remember it was a sin to kill a mockingbird. Well, I reckon because mockingbirds don't do anything but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat people's gardens, don't nest in the corncrib, they don't do one thing but just sing their hearts out for us."

Atticus Finch: (To Kill a Mockingbird)
"in an effort to get rid of her own guilt. Now I say guilt, gentlemen, because it was guilt that motivated her. She has committed no crime, she has merely broken a rigid and time-honored code of our society. A code so severe that whoever breaks it is hounded from our midst as unfit to live with. She must destroy the evidence of her offense. But what was the evidence of her offense? Tom Robinson - a human being. She must put Tom Robinson away from her. (He gestures, pushing away with his hands.) Tom Robinson was for her, a daily reminder of what she did. Now what did she do? She tempted a Negro. She was white, and she tempted a Negro. She did something that in our society is unspeakable. She kissed a black man. Not an old uncle, but a strong, young Negro man. No code mattered to her before she broke it, but it came crashing down on her afterwards."

"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?" ~ Harry Callahan (Dirty Harry)

"Out of order, I'll show you out of order! You don't know what out of order is Mr. Trask! I'd show you but I'm too old, I'm too tired, and I'm too ****in' blind. If I were the man I was five years ago I'd take a flame-thrower to this place. Out of order, who the hell do you think you're talking to? I've been around you know? There was a time I could see. And I have seen, boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there isn't nothin' like the sight of an amputated spirit, there is no prosthetic for that. You think you're merely sending this splendid foot-soldier back home to Oregon with his tail between his legs but I say that you are executing his soul. And why? Because he's not a Baird man. Baird men, you hurt this boy, you're going to be Baird Bums, the lot of ya. And Harry, Jimmy, Trent, wherever you are out there, **** you too." ~ Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade (Scent of a Woman)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Holy bombs make holy holes...
Well, it's not exactly a speech but this is the best prayer in a movie ever...

Part 2: Growth And Learning

CHAPLAIN: Let us praise God. O Lord,...

CONGREGATION: O Lord,...

CHAPLAIN: ...ooh, You are so big,...

CONGREGATION: ...ooh, You are so big,...

CHAPLAIN: ...so absolutely huge.

CONGREGATION: ...so absolutely huge.

CHAPLAIN: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

CONGREGATION: Gosh, we're all really impressed down here, I can tell You.

CHAPLAIN: Forgive us, O Lord, for this, our dreadful toadying, and...

CONGREGATION: And barefaced flattery.

CHAPLAIN: But You are so strong and, well, just so super.

CONGREGATION: Fantastic.

HUMPHREY: Amen.

CONGREGATION: Amen.
Dennis: Oh king, eh, very nice. And how'd you get that eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--
Woman: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.

-The Holy Grail

Mono = one, people. Mono = one.

Oh, what's the use?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Loner
Peter Finch(Howard Beale) in Network.

http://www.dailywav.com/0500/network.wav
It may not be a speech but I think he's definately on the right track.

Holy bombs make holy holes...
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Mono = one, people. Mono = one.

Oh, what's the use?
I thought about that when I posted mine but figured it was in a grey area because the congregation was just repeating him for the most part.

I figured it was easier to make the exception than start a 'favorite prayer in a movie' thread.

I must become Caligari..!

Holden: I love you. And not in a friendly way, although I think we’re great friends. And not in a misplaced affection, puppy-dog way, although I’m sure that’s what you’ll call it. And it’s not because you’re unattainable.
I love you. Very simple, very truly. You’re the epitome of every attribute
and quality I’ve ever looked for in another person. I know you think of
me as just a friend and crossing that line is the furthest thing from an
option you’d ever consider. But I can’t do this any longer. I can’t
stand next to you without wanting to hold you. I can’t look into your eyes without feeling that longing you only read about in trashy romance novels. I can’t talk to you without wanting to express my love for everything you are. I know this will probably queer our friendship - no pun intended - but I had to say it, because I’ve never felt this before, and I like who I am because of it. And if bringing it to light means we can’t hang out anymore, then that hurts me. But I couldn’t allow another day to go by without getting it out there, regardless of
the outcome, which by the look on your face is to be the inevitable shoot-down. And I’ll accept that But I know some part of you is hesitating for a moment, and if there is a moment of hesitation, that means you feel something too. All I ask is that you not suppress that - at least for ten minutes - and try to dwell in itbefore you dismiss it.
There isn’t another soul on this f*cking planet who’s ever made me the
person I am when I’m with you, and I would risk this friendship for the
chance to take it to the next plateau. Because it’s there between you and me. You can’t deny that. And even if we never speak again after tonight, please know that I’m forever changed because of you and what you’ve meant to me, which - while I do appreciate it - I’d never need a painting of birds bought at a diner to remind me of.
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

First off, love the Holden speech....great line.

Now, on with mine....

President Andrew Sheppard (Michael Douglas - American President)
For the last couple of months, Senator Rumson has suggested that being President of this country was, to a certain extent, about character. And although I've not been willing to engage in his attacks on me, I've been here three years and three days, and I can tell you without hesitation being President of this country is entirely about character.

For the record, yes, I am a card carrying member of the ACLU, but the more important question is "Why aren't you, Bob?" Now this is an organization whose sole purpose is to defend the Bill of Rights, so it naturally begs the question, why would a senator, his party's most powerful spokesman and a candidate for President, choose to reject upholding the constitution? Now if you can answer that question, folks, then you're smarter that I am, because I didn't understand it until a few hours ago.

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of it's citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

I've known Bob Rumson for years. And I've been operating under the assumption that the reason Bob devotes so much time and energy to shouting at the rain was that he simply didn't get it. Well I was wrong. Bob's problem isn't that he doesn't get it. Bob's problem is that he can't sell it!

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you Bob Rumson is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things, and two things only: making you afraid of it, and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle age, middle class, middle income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family, and American values and character, and you wave an old photo of the President's girlfriend and you scream about patriotism -- you tell them she's to blame for their lot in life. And you go on television and you call her a whore.

Sydney Ellen Wade has done nothing to you, Bob. She has done nothing but put herself through school, represent the interests of public school teachers, and lobby for the safety of our natural resources. You want a character debate, Bob? You better stick with me, 'cause Sydney Ellen Wade is way out of your league.

I've loved two women in my life. I lost one to cancer. And I lost the other 'cause I was so busy keeping my job, I forgot to do my job. Well that ends right now.

Tomorrow morning the White House is sending a bill to Congress for it's consideration. It's White House Resolution 455, an energy bill requiring a twenty percent reduction of the emission of fossil fuels over the next ten years. It is by far the most aggressive stride ever taken in the fight to reverse the effects of global warming. The other piece of legislation is the crime bill. As of today, it no longer exists. I'm throwing it out. I'm throwing it out and writing a law that makes sense. You cannot address crime prevention without getting rid of assault weapons and hand guns. I consider them a threat to national security, and I will go door to door if I have to, but I'm gonna convince Americans that I'm right, and I'm gonna get the guns.

We've got serious problems, and we need serious people. And if you want to talk about character, Bob, you'd better come at me with more than a burning flag and a membership card. If you want to talk about character and American values, fine. Just tell me where and when, and I'll show up. This a time for serious people, Bob, and your fifteen minutes are up.

My name is Andrew Shepherd, and I AM the President.

Vizzini (Princess Bride)
Guess?....I don't guess. I think. I ponder. I deduce. Then I decide. But I never guess....It's all so simple....All I have to do is deduce, from what I know of you, the way your mind works. Are you the kind of man who would put the poison into his own glass, or into the glass of his enemy?...Now a great fool....would place the wine in his own goblet, because he would know that only another great fool would reach first for what he was given. I am clearly not a great fool, so I will clearly not reach for your wine....[But] you knew I was not a great fool, so you would know that I would never fall for such a trick. You would count on it. So I will clearly not reach for mine either....We have now decided that the poisoned cup is most likely in front of you. But the poison is powder made from iocane and iocane comes only from Australia and Australia, as everyone knows, is peopled with criminals and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as I don't trust you, which means I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you....But, again, you must have suspected I knew the origins of iocane, so you would have known I knew about the criminals and criminal behavior, and therefore I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me....You have beaten my Turk, which means you are exceptionally strong, and exceptionally strong men are convinced that they are too powerful ever to die, too powerful even for iocane poison, so you could have put it in your cup, trusting on your strength to save you; thus I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you....But you also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, because he studied many years for his excellence, and if you can study, you are clearly more than simply strong; you are aware of how mortal we all are, and you do not wish to die, so you would have kept the poison as far from yourself as possible; therefore I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me....I have already learned everything from you....I know where the poison is....What in the world can that be?....I could have sworn I saw something, no matter....Let's drink....[I guessed wrong?] You only think I guessed wrong....I switched glasses when your back was turned....Fool!....You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia,' but only slightly less well known is this: 'Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.' (As he laughs, he keels over dead from the poison.)

Colonel Jesup (A Few Good Men)
You can't handle the truth! Son, we live a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns, who's gonna do it? You? You Lt. Wienberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury, you have that luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's tragic death probably saved lives, and my existence, grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as a backbone of a life spent defending something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man that rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide and then questions the matter in which I provide it. I'd rather you just said thank you, and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post, either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Silent Bob (Chasing Amy)
You're chasing Amy....I went through something like what you're talking about. Couple of years ago, with this chick named Amy....So there's me and Amy, and we're all inseparable, right? Just big time in love. And then about four months down the road, the idiot gear kicks in, and I ask about the ex-boyfriend--which, as we all know, is a really dumb move. But you know how it is--you don't WANT to know, but you just HAVE to...stupid guy bull****.

Anyway, she starts telling me all about him--how they fell in love, how they dated for a couple of years, how they lived together, her mother likes me better, blah, blah, blah--and I'm okay. But then she drops the bomb on me, and the bomb is this: it seems a couple of times, while they were going out, he brought some people to bed with them--menage a trois, I believe it's called. Now this just blows my mind. I mean, I'm not used to that sort of thing, right? I was raised Catholic, for God's sake....

So I get weirded out, and just start blasting her, right? I don't know how to deal with what I'm feeling. But I figure the best way is if I call her a slut and tell her that she was used. I mean, I'm out for blood. I want to hurt this girl now. And I'm like "What the **** is your problem?" and she's calmly telling me that it was that time, in that place, and she didn't do anything wrong, so she's not gonna apologize. And I'm like "Oh really?" That's when I look her straight in the eye and tell her it's over.

I walk....it was a mistake. I wasn't disgusted with her, I was afraid. At that moment, I felt small--like I'd lacked experience, like I'd never be on her level or never be enough for her or something. And what I didn't get was that she didn't care. She wasn't looking for the guy anymore. She was looking for me. But by the time I realized this, it was too late, you know. She'd moved on, and all I had to show for it was some foolish pride, which then gave way to regret.

She was the girl, I know that now. But I pushed her away...So I've spent every day since then chasing Amy...So to speak.

i thought this was a thread for speeches/monologues and yet some of y'all are posting dialogues between 2 or more actors or one-liners...

anyways, one that comes to mind is Tyler Durden's pre-fight speech...the one where he begins "i see a lot of new faces, which means some of you have been breaking the first 2 rules of fight club" and then is later interrupted by Lou.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Way too many to list. The first that comes to mind, however, is Al Pacino's rant near the end of The Devil's Advocate.
and the speech in King Hanry the Fifth? Is a good speech too!and in lord of the rings Return of the king!
Movies are good when they make those kind of touching speechs!I think King Hanry the Frifth is the best through!

Anyway see you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

The Green Lantern
Dogma-- When the Metatron talks to Bethany
Bartleby and Loki in th airport. When they are talking to the excutives. The scene after they are thrown out of the train, and Bartleby gives his spill.

The Prophecy-- When the devil talks to Katherine; then, later to Thomas.
Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might.
Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light"

--Green Lantern Oath--

"The Green Lantern Corps has battled against the forces of evil and chaos for a millennium. To serve is the ultimate honor."

In the Beginning...
I was really moved by Anthony Hopkins' speech to the Supreme Court as John Quincy Adams in Amistad. Being a great speaker (with a great vocabulary), Hopkins delivers a speech deserving of an American figure like Adams, and the content of the speech (regarding slavery, and America, and the threat of Civil War) is absolutely amazing. I can't say enough good things about it: for me, it's one of the best movie moments ever.

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
I really liked the narration monologue in GATTACA, very insprinational!

-don't save anything for the swim back

Originally Posted by kaisersoze
I really liked the narration monologue in GATTACA, very insprinational!

-don't save anything for the swim back
Yes Gattaca was inspirational. I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet but, Quills and Mona Lisa Smile had some good monologues

Messenger from Hades' Gate
I don't know about best speech or monologue, but here's the best dialogue:

ARTHUR:
If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!

FRENCH GUARD:
You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!

GALAHAD:
What a strange person.

ARTHUR:
Now look here, my good man--

FRENCH GUARD:
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

GALAHAD:
Is there someone else up there we could talk to?

FRENCH GUARD:
No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
[sniff]

ARTHUR:
Now, this is your last chance. I've been more than reasonable.

FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache.)

OTHER FRENCH GUARD:
Quoi?

FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache!)
[mooo]

Originally Posted by suppression
I don't know about best speech or monologue, but here's the best dialogue:

ARTHUR:
If you will not show us the Grail, we shall take your castle by force!

FRENCH GUARD:
You don't frighten us, English pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottom, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called Arthur King, you and all your silly English k-nnnnniggets. Thpppppt! Thppt! Thppt!

GALAHAD:
What a strange person.

ARTHUR:
Now look here, my good man--

FRENCH GUARD:
I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

GALAHAD:
Is there someone else up there we could talk to?

FRENCH GUARD:
No. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-a!
[sniff]

ARTHUR:
Now, this is your last chance. I've been more than reasonable.

FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache.)

OTHER FRENCH GUARD:
Quoi?

FRENCH GUARD:
(Fetchez la vache!)
[mooo]
Monty Python Good One

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Fight Club:

TYLER DURDEN: In the world I see - you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway.

------

Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

"I can't help it..."
Any Given Sunday:

Tony D'Amato (Al Pacino): I don't know what to say really. Three minutes to the biggest battle of our professional lives, all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team, or we're gonna crumble. Inch by inch, play by play -- till we're finished. We're in hell right now gentleman. Believe me. And we can stay here, get the **** kicked out of us, or we can fight our way back, into the light. We can climb out of hell, one inch at a time.
Now I can't do it for you, I'm too old. I look around I see these young faces and I think, I mean, I made every wrong choice a middle aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not, I chased off anyone who's ever loved me, and lately I can't even stand the face I see in the mirror.
Y'know when you get old in life things get taken from you, I mean that's that's that's part of life. But you only learn that when you start losin' stuff. You find out life's this game of inches, and so is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small, I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it, one half second to slow or to fast, you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's going to make the ****ing difference between winning and losing. Between livin' and dying. I'll tell you this in any fight it's the guy whose willing to die who's gonna win that inch , and I know that if I'm going to have any life anymore it's because I'm still willin to fight and die for that inch. Because that's what livin is. The six inches in front of your face. Now I can't make you do it. You gotta look at the guy next to you, look into his eyes. Now, I think you're gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows when it comes down to it, you're going to do the same for him.
That's a team gentlemen and either we heal now as a team or we will die as individuals. That's football guys. That's all it is. Now, What are you going to do?

This has to be my favorite monologue of all time, so much in fact, that when I had to choose an audition piece for my Drama class - I did this. Not as good as ol' Al, but close... (I wish...)
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

true romance the last f%$ you that hopper gives walken. "you, my freind are part eggplant. lol to perfect

I think that Samuel L. Jacksons speech about survival near the end of Deep Blue Sea was great, because then he gets eaten by a shark.

Thank You for Smoking 10/10
Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis 4/10
Equilbrium 8/10
A History of Violence 8/10
Officespace 10/10