Deadpool

→ in
Tools    

Boldly going.
Some mild spoilers below.

Deadpool is completely new to me, other than Wade Wilson in X-Men origins: Wolverine, so I had no other expectations going in. This Wade is an improvement of the character we saw in that movie.

This movie is very different from previous Marvel movies: Rated R, nudity, sex, profanity, lots of blood, the 4th wall is broken. I think for Deadpool, it works. It's got a similar kind of grittiness as 300 and Sin City. Deadpool's sarcasm and swagger are appropriate for this character (whereas Andrew Garfield's saucy Spiderman, for me, was a little off-putting).

I'm not sure what to make of the 4th wall, which is repeatedly broken. Part of me liked it, because it was funny. Another part of me didn't like it, because it took me out of the movie and I struggled to reconcile Wade's fictional universe with his knowledge of Patrick Stewart and James McAvoy and an action figure from X-Men origins: Wolverine, etc., etc. I suppose we could imagine that in his universe, movies have been made about the super heroes.

Some of the action is ludicrous. One minute Deadpool is pinned-down by a gang with machine guns, the next, he's flipping over them while decapitating them with his swords.

Ajax describes his own powers as super reflexes and inability to feel pain. Either he forgot to mention that he also has rapid healing powers, or I missed it, because I doubt he would've survived the wounds inflicted on him otherwise.

Overall, an entertaining popcorn movie.