Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I rate more based on enjoyment, rather than level of perfection.

Then again, there is no denying that Cabin Fever is a perfect masterpiece.

Still sounds weird to me.

Anyways, fine, you're not a thing... you're a beautiful thing. better?

or still not good? You know I'm joking though MG, how could I ever be mean to you for real. NEVER!

Welcome to the human race...
Kingsman: The Secret Service -

Seeing as it's out on DVD now, I figured I'd give it a second chance. I guess I don't outright hate it, but it still gets a lot wrong. Still have to sit through an awful lot of wink-wink-nudge-nudge references to spy movies (to say nothing of the attempts to do edgy R-rated variations on them, which come across as ), still have to sit through a rather tiresome training sequence that's even less interesting on a second viewing, and that's without mentioning the various ways in which the ramifications of the villain's evil plan clashes really badly against the film's attempt to create a throwback to spy movies that were more about overblown fun than super-serious drama. It's a shame because the action sequences tend to be made rather well but I do have to consciously ignore the implications in order to remotely appreciate the film's infamous church scene (like I said in my review, if the film manages to include a scene like that and still not make me forget the implications, then how good can it be?) Still, at least the material is boosted by some solid actors - Colin Firth is good, Samuel L. Jackson is a little annoying but generally tolerable here, while Mark Strong delivers a somewhat underrated performance as the organisation's tech-wizard/instructor. Also, at least they gave us a decent protagonist who gets played rather well by Taron Egerton. I probably would have loved the hell out of this when I was 15, but now...eh.

One other observation:

WARNING: "Kingsman/Deus Ex: Human Revolution" spoilers below
I noticed this the first time through, but I thought that the plots involving a world-famous tech genius producing a computer chip for the general public to use that ends up sending the people who use it into fits of violent insanity, prompting the hero to confront him at an isolated snow-bound lair during the climax. As soon as I saw the scene where Jackson starts promoting his chips, I thought "This is going to turn out like Deus Ex, isn't it?" Surprise, surprise.

EDIT: While I'm throwing out observations, you know what really makes the film feel horribly dated and ridiculous in a bad way?

WARNING: "Kingsman" spoilers below
The fact that Iggy Azalea is not only name-dropped during a random news report, but the fact that she apparently went missing implies that she was one of the famous people who got kidnapped by Samuel L. Jackson for not going along with his evil plan. I know you're not supposed to think about this movie too hard, but that just makes an otherwise cringe-worthy cultural reference feel illogical enough to deserve comment.

The Maze Runner (2014)

I quite liked this movie, knowing next to nothing about it. All I knew is that, again, it was based upon the first in a series of "older teen" books. I was glad I gave it a try. It just drops you into the middle of the story and you get pieces of what it all means as you go. Plus, obviously it's the first part so you don't get it all. Anyway, Thomas (Dylan O'Brien) is sent via an underground elevator into The Glade, a pleasant, green-grass area with dozens of other teens who, like Thomas, have no memory of who they were before or why they were sent to the Glade. But surrounding them is the maze of the title. Every morning it opens and two runners are sent in to explore and navigate, but they must be back by nightfall or the maze will close and their fate will be sealed. There are cyborg-like creatures in the maze that kill on sight.

Of course, once Thomas arrives, he tries to fit in but there is at least one person, Gally (Will Poulter), who opposes him; one person, Minho (Ki Hong Lee), who teams with him to face the maze; one younger teen, Chuck (Blake Cooper), who looks up to him; the leader of the group, Newt (Thomas Brodie-Sangster), who trusts him; and the only girl, Teresa (Kaya Scodelario), who may remember things before the Glade.

If it seems I've spoiled things a bit here, I haven't really. There are twists and lots of action, plus there's no spoiler in saying that it ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger. I enjoyed it quite a bit and the young actors were all excellent in their roles. Very good first part.

Care for some gopher?
Léon (F, 1994, Luc Besson) -

Unregistered User

Julia (2008)

The first half of the film was great but the second half was a bit ridiculous. Great performance from Tilda Swinton though.

The Homesman
(Tommy Lee Jones, 2014)

Taking into consideration the modern rarity of westerns, the impressive cast (Tommy Lee Jones, Hilary Swank, Meryl Streep, John Lithgow, James Spader, William Fichtner), and the critical acclaim of director Tommy Lee Jones's previous western, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, you'd think that The Homesman would've created more buzz. Yet I hadn't heard a damn thing about it until recently. Now that I've seen it, I can understand why: it's not very good. Labeled by some reviewers as a "feminist western," the story sees Swank, a tough and independent pioneer, save Tommy Lee Jones from being lynched so that he'll join her on a difficult expedition to transport three insane women from Nebraska to Iowa. The film aims to highlight the harsh, uncompromising reality of the old west. It's successful in that regard. The cinematography is often gorgeous. The performances are strong. It's good to see Swank finally get another worthwhile role after a string of duds. Tommy Lee Jones does his usual old man curmudgeon thing, but he does it well. The other big names in the cast are mostly walk-on parts that were probably filmed in a day or two. The long expedition that takes up the majority of the film is too episodic. Meanwhile the characterization that initially got off to a great start begins to lag and the movie becomes increasingly dull. There's also a surprising turn of events that shifts the point of view three-fourths of the way into the film that came across to me as too forced and cheap to make the impact it deserved. My opinion of the movie took a significant hit after that scene.

That's disappointing to hear Spaulding. Like you, I remember last year wondering why I hadn't heard too much, even on the internet, about this film. I'll probably get round to it eventually though, but I'm not in a rush.

Captain's view in pretty much in line with Mark Kermode's from what I remember. I think whether or not it's a feminist western is probably the most interesting thing about this film, which says a lot.

I hadn't heard of The Homesman (2014) until 2 minutes ago. A feminist western? to me that sounds interesting, so I'm going to watch this movie as I'm still on my movies from 2014 kick.

Back when I watched The Homesman, I think I gave it the exact same rating, Spaulding.

I also mainly agree with what you are saying about the film. I wondered, too, at that scene you are referring to at the end of your review. Though it had me mildly entertained for the most part, I found it dull at several points and I couldn't really get into much of what was happening or even care for it. A nice, but ultimately failed, effort by Tommy Lee Jones. The cinematography was pretty good though indeed.

I have to return some videotapes.

Absolutely breathtaking. The best Eastwood i've seen yet and i'm very very surprised that it didn't receive any Oscar buzz, as his movies usually do. Everything about this just made it seem so real. I really wish he would have ended his acting career with that . Damn you Trouble with the Curve.

Ant-Man (2015)

This is now my favorite superhero movie. I've never been crazy about the genre but I really enjoyed this one. The comedy felt genuine and not forced like in the Avengers sequel. The big fight between Ant-Man and Yellow Jacket on the train set is my favorite superhero fight, and Ant-Man is now my favorite Marvel movie character.

I might be a bit generous with this rating, but this one clicked for me in a way that no other superhero movie (The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy etc.) has before.

Glad you like it Cole! One of my favorites!
quoted for truth.

Awesome movie