Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Red Sparrow -

What if David Cronenberg had directed Atomic Blonde?

This might just do nobody any good.
That sounds... kind of awesome.

Depends on your opinion of both late-period Cronenberg and Atomic Blonde, I guess. The former is generally good, but this film never stops feeling like it's doing a half-decent impression of the same (with some Verhoeven mixed in for good measure), whereas the latter comparison isn't too favourable because Atomic Blonde was also an overly long and twisty spy thriller despite its style and action (which this film doesn't have).

This might just do nobody any good.
I guess I was thinking more of something like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by way of Eastern Promises (starring Black Widow).

Anyways, the trailers seemed kind of generic so I didn’t plan on watching it in theaters.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Red Sparrow -

That seems like a decent rating. Most of the reviews made it sound like a snuff film, where none of the graphic events were the least bit enjoyable.

JLaw sure did a good job selling it on 60 Minutes. Said she overcame a lot of issues to play this role and did so because she believed in the script that much.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

That seems like a decent rating. Most of the reviews made it sound like a snuff film, where none of the graphic events were the least bit enjoyable.

JLaw sure did a good job selling it on 60 Minutes. Said she overcame a lot of issues to play this role and did so because she believed in the script that much.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Yeah, it's going to be one of those films that's deliberately trying to be unpleasant in its depiction of sex and violence (far from Atomic Blonde going for stylish action thrills) so obviously people are going to react negatively to that for a variety of reasons (not least of which is whether or not the rest of the film can justify its handling of such confrontational content). In that regard, I feel like it's going to be like mother! all over again.

Pee-wee's Big Adventure 1985 8 / 10

"When eccentric man-child Pee-Wee Herman gets his beloved
bike stolen in broad daylight, he sets out across the
U.S. on the adventure of his life."
I used to love this. I haven't seen it in years.

I dont know why the critics panned this movie other than Shia Le Boeuf and he was great in this, regardless of what he gets up to outside off screen. I dont care about that and wont rate a movie downward because of it.. Stands up to a rewatch every time for me. I thought all three actors were great, it's stunning to look at, and it hit it home for me on an emotional level. I will rewatch this again, and then some.[/quote]

D'ye know I've never even heard of this film, I'd watch anything with Mads in it! On the watchlist for this snowy weekend. Cheers Dani8

You can't win an argument just by being right!

D'ye know I've never even heard of this film, I'd watch anything with Mads in it! On the watchlist for this snowy weekend. Cheers Dani8
I really like it, Marco, and I've seen it a few times. If you're a Madly Mads fan I totally recommend it because as usual he just shows what an amazing actor he is, but they all work so well together. Evan was so good, and Shia I found very believable. I'll be happy to read what you think as you watch all rugged up for the weather. Stay warm, buddy.

The last movie I saw was The Breakfast Club. I love this movie and each time I watch it, it seems to get even better.

"...smoke up Johnny!"
Literally just watched the Criterion blu ray release last night..and all of the deleted scenes. Vernon had me on the floor, crying with a particular riff of his with Carl in the basement.

Deliver Us From Evil (2006)

This is on the documentary list and I watched it for the female directors countdown. It's about one of those diddler priests who went to prison. We hear a lot from him, some victims, etc., and about the cover-up. I'd say it's a very high quality film but one I didn't especially enjoy watching.

Deliver Us From Evil (2006)

This is on the documentary list and I watched it for the female directors countdown. It's about one of those diddler priests who went to prison. We hear a lot from him, some victims, etc., and about the cover-up. I'd say it's a very high quality film but one I didn't especially enjoy watching.
I really couldn't handle that film, so messed up.

The Nun's Story (1959)

Kind of an epic "hero's journey" type of movie with Audrey Hepburn as a nun, struggling between her natural independence and adhering to her vows of obedience.
I'd dare to call this a feminist movie, but where those holding the reigns of power aren't so much the members of "man's" world, but the Catholic church and the order of nuns themselves (the church in no way is portrayed as the "bad guy," but the message is clear that complete, life-long, religious commitment may not be for everyone, especially strong-willed daughters of world-renowned surgeons who are very intelligent scientists themselves). The story takes place prior to WWII and ends at the beginning of the war.

Some of the scenery is very nice (as much of it was shot on-site). My only fault of the film is that it's a bit slow moving while being 2.5 hours long, so may not be for everybody as "Sister Luke" travels from one position and set of challenges to another.

P.S. Keep an eye out for Colleen Dewhurst in an early role in probably the film's only "action" scene! (I thought she was Faye Dunaway at first, but realized this film would be too early for her). Plus, Peter Finch is in the movie - he's mad as hell and he's not gonna take it anymore!

Glad you seen this and not surprised you appreciated it. It's one of my favorites and I believe MarkF thinks highly of it too. I watched it when I was doing an Audrey Hepburn filmography.
On the surface the whole idea of sweet Audrey as a nun would seem fluffy, but it's anything but fluffy, it's psychological deep! Mainly because it's a deep character study, where we get to know the viewpoint of a strong willed nun and her life. It's also like 'living' the life of a nun as the movie literally puts the viewer in a nun's habit. So one get's to see a world we otherwise would never know about.

The last movie I saw was The Breakfast Club. I love this movie and each time I watch it, it seems to get even better.
It does! I swear the more one watches it, the deeper and refined the performances become.

Glad you seen this and not surprised you appreciated it. It's one of my favorites and I believe MarkF thinks highly of it too. I watched it when I was doing an Audrey Hepburn filmography.
On the surface the whole idea of sweet Audrey as a nun would seem fluffy, but it's anything but fluffy, it's psychological deep! Mainly because it's a deep character study, where we get to know the viewpoint of a strong willed nun and her life. It's also like 'living' the life of a nun as the movie literally puts the viewer in a nun's habit. So one get's to see a world we otherwise would never know about.

It does! I swear the more one watches it, the deeper and refined the performances become.
Man, i don't think i could watch that. I found Kathleen Byron as a nun super attractive in Black Narcissus. It's definitely not good for my catholic guilt

Nah, it looks good might actually watch it soon.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

I dont know why the critics panned this movie other than Shia Le Boeuf and he was great in this, regardless of what he gets up to outside off screen. I dont care about that and wont rate a movie downward because of it.. Stands up to a rewatch every time for me. I thought all three actors were great, it's stunning to look at, and it hit it home for me on an emotional level. I will rewatch this again, and then some.
I need to see it. Looks like my type movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's definitely not good for my catholic guilt
After I watched School of the Holy Beast I have no more catholic guilt in me.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

On Body and Soul - 6.5/10. Artistically shot. But Oscars? Don't think it would win. Thelma, BPM were better nominations.