Slash Vault, Bloody Adventures with MoFo Nostromo

→ in
Tools    

Damn. Gotta wait till tonight to do my write-up. I don't like doing it in stages, and I have no peace for a couple of hours yet. I am however, getting low-key hit on by some good looking women today. What is up with that?

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Rob Hedden

Jason Takes....his time getting to Manhattan.

It may be the done thing to take a giant **** on this movie, but I'm not about to do that. It's not flawless, far from it, but it's a hell of a lot of fun, especially if you're a Jason fan. Right from the opening titles (in which the movie title fades to a reveal a Batman logo, center screen *fangirl screams*), we're treated to a fantastic theme song, complete with an apt lyric line as we see youths leading wasted lives, running around the alleyways of New York mugging decent, umbrella carrying citizens. This would be the last one for the 80's and boy, they sure wrote themselves a TUNE (I'm listening to it right now as I write this), and throughout it, we see locations that we'll see again later, this time with added Jason. The darkest side of the night.

And then instant nudity.

Hot.

Once again, Jason is accidentally resurrected and this time, ends up on a fancy boat full of graduate students called the SS Lazarus (heh) on their way to New York. Killing ensues. Fun, satisfying kills. There's a girl on board, Rennie, who sees visions of Jason as a young boy. Why? We don't really know. Maybe she's a bit psychic, maybe it's because she
WARNING: spoilers below
got pushed into the lake by her father, swimmning lessons, you understand, and young aquatic Jason almost dragged her to her death...
But we know she's going to be there in the end.

First, the things I didn't like: I'm not the biggest fan of the young Jason thing. And I kind of hated the
throat slashing scene. That was shoddily done.
While I love the heavy breathing thing that Kane Hodder seems to do with his whole body, it's kind of breathtaking, I didn't like the Darth Vader-style effect. That was a big nope. Thankfully it was used very sparingly. The psychic flashes. Ugh, why. Jason's unmasked face - wasn't a fan of the snapping turtle look. Not sure why his mask had the axe marks, unless urban legend had already given way to merchandising. Also wasn't a fan of the ending, but it wasn't too bad.

Now for the things I loved. Might as well put it all in spoiler tags as it's going up in one long flow of word-vomit.

*deep breath*

The way CRYST was the first thing visible in the delapidated Camp Crystal Lake sign. Kane Hodder injecting even more personality into Jason (GODS he's great!) . Jason toying a bit with a couple of his victims. The sauna rock kill. THE GUITAR KILL. The amazingly useless dog not even barking with wet, decayed Jason right outside.How Jason does some things slow and others super fast. This sets you up for the teleporting later. Yes, I said teleporting. Each time he comes back, he comes back meaner and with an extra superpower. The pick-up-and-strangle kill with the disco ball hanging like a ****ed up sun, and the way he threw her body on the floor. The way Jason kicks **** around, so aggressive. The accidental buddy kill. Jason's eye ooze. Wow, that was awesome. OMG HIS HEAD TILT WHEN HE SEES THE BILLBOARD WITH THE HOCKEY MASK . The kids yelling "You're dead" at Jason when he kicks their stuff as he walks by, only to have him turn around and show them his face. The way he allowed Julius to take as many hits as he liked while he just stood there, taking small steps backwards, pretend-stumbling a bit. You know he's playing. And then he REALLY played, with what I consider the best kill of the film: THE SINGLE PUNCH DECAPITATION, and that head just goes flying straight into a dumpster. Which closes. Big fan of Jason on the subway: the way he just punts the blonde lady to one side in his relentless quest to get to his target, yet doesn't have his subway legs. The shadow kill with the lashing of blood on the wall was a nice touch.

Yeah, I loved this. And it didn't feel too brutally hacked by the censors.

Overall, I had a great time watching this movie and my rating has to reflect that, despite the plot holes, not much of this taking place in New York, and Jason's scream.

Underappreciated gem in the series.

Go ahead. Take your best shot, mother****er!

Don't want to annoy anyone by taking over the thread, but I just read this Shock interview with Kane Hodder and they mention the Arsenio Hall appearance:

Shock: You made an appearance as Jason on the Arsenio Hall show for ‘Jason Takes Manhattan’..

Hodder: Yes, I did! (Laughs) It was so much fun. I don’t know if I would do it again because I always took the character seriously and didn’t want to make the character too funny but at the same time they said, ‘All we’re gonna do is have Arsenio ask you questions and you’re gonna stay in character.’ It’s not funny at the expense of the character, you know what I mean? It’s not mocking the character but it’s done in a funny way where Jason is still Jason and somebody else is the funny one. Based on that I thought it was OK. It was alot of fun. He told me before we started shooting the show that he was quite nervous to be around me in the costume and he said ‘Please don’t **** with me too much’. It was hard for me not to! Once somebody says please don’t **** with me then that’s exactly what I’m gonna do! I didn’t do too much. At the end of that clip you can see that I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards me.He got quite nervous and backed away. He really wasn’t too comfortable with me as the character.
I could acually tell Arsenio was a bit nervous. Wasn't sure if he was acting though, until the arm grab.

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
Adam Marcus

Where the **** is Jason: Part II

Aaaannnnd it's another mess, and another misleading title as Jason spends no time in hell. He's also hardly in this movie at all, unless you count the glorious Kane Hodder cameo as security guard #2 sporting a curly mullet and a smart mouth.

This particular mess opens with an FBI sting operation on Jason in Camp Crystal Lake. No, it's never explained how Jason's back there, or how we got from Jason being taken care of with toxic sludge to the FBI calling in an air-strike on Jason yeah that happened but at the end of that we're left with Jason blown to bits except for his still huge black heart, that just can't stop beating...romantic, I know. More romantic still that the coroner felt moved to eat that beating heart, and so mad body-jumping Jason begins. Oh, and there's a randomly sadistic,cowboy hat wearing bounty hunter by the name of Creighton Duke, out to kill Jason once and for good. He informs everyone that mad body-jumping Jason (who transfers himself from body to body via demon-snake) trying to get to the remnants of his family so he can be reborn.

There's no way around this - it's a silly movie. This, along with Jason X, is basically the a new studio pissing about waiting for Freddy vs Jason to work as a concept. Sean Cunningham apparently told the 23 year-old director, "just get rid of the damn hockey mask." What? *******.

So. The parts I liked. Kane Hodder as the security guard and the nanoseconds of Jason we actually see. He had a line or two of meta humour that I liked (particularly the one in which he refers to Jason as "nothing but a big ole pussy." ), and it's cool that in a movie that feels a little like a **** you to Jason fans, it looks like he had some fun. The fact that the screenwriter also got to be killed in this movie is just... yeah. I like these two things about this movie. The male nudity. Yep, that's a bonus.
I liked the imagery at the end of the hockey mask in the dirt, seconds before Freddy's grabs it.

Not sure how I feel about the Evil Dead stuff getting involved in this mythos. In this movie we see the Necronomicon from Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, implying some kind of tie-in.

What I disliked was...the entire premise. The absence of Jason. I didn't like Creighton Duke or his finger fetish. Really didn't care for Jason's long lost family. Some pretty decent kills, but without actual Jason, it's not the same. The way the hockey mask seems to have grown into Jason's face. What.

*sigh*

A big old mango-sized crap.

Not sure how I feel about the Evil Dead stuff getting involved in this mythos. In this movie we see the Necronomicon from Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2, implying some kind of tie-in.
I recall hearing, probably in the "Never Sleep Again" documentary, that Freddy vs Jason was originally conceived as Freddy vs Ash vs Jason. That these ideas were swirling as early as the 80s. That may explain them bringing the Necronomicon gradually into the story. Does not really make a whole lotta sense though, as The Evil Dead was not a slasher series. This one above is the only Jason movie I haven't seen any of, I do get some natural enjoyment out of Freddy vs Jason though.

I recall hearing, probably in the "Never Sleep Again" documentary, that Freddy vs Jason was originally conceived as Freddy vs Ash vs Jason. That these ideas were swirling as early as the 80s. That may explain them bringing the Necronomicon gradually into the story. Does not really make a whole lotta sense though, as The Evil Dead was not a slasher series. This one above is the only Jason movie I haven't seen any of, I do get some natural enjoyment out of Freddy vs Jason though.

We got graphic novels out of it, but I haven't gotten them yet. I will, though, seeing as how I have super-fangirled now and that's just the next logical step, as I also love comics.

Remember the time you, me and Sexy met?
Oh yea, The Night WE Came Home

@cat_sidhe took this photo
(Fast photoshop fun with Nostromo)

More Friday the 13th coming up...might rewatch Jason X for the second time this week since I didn't write about that before watching Freddy vs Jason.

Quick refreshment before I start rewatching and writing. *******, IT'S A JASON PARTY on page 13 of this thread!!!!!!!! If you can guess what I'm listening to, you'll get a prize.

And while I'm drinking and thinking, I was actually thinking about so many conversations with so many fans of the unholy trinity, and one of the tings I noticed is how the fans divide. All 3 have the fans, but when it comes to the taking of sides, it's the wildly passionate that adopt Jason, the wildly creative that pick Freddy, and Michael, being an equal opportunity killer with no revenge in his makeup, almost like an Allfather. He's the most detached of the trio.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And while I'm drinking and thinking, I was actually thinking about so many conversations with so many fans of the unholy trinity, and one of the tings I noticed is how the fans divide. All 3 have the fans, but when it comes to the taking of sides, it's the wildly passionate that adopt Jason, the wildly creative that pick Freddy, and Michael, being an equal opportunity killer with no revenge in his makeup, almost like an Allfather. He's the most detached of the trio.
I don't know where I'd rank these guys in order of who I prefer or even which series I prefer. I think the chatty cathy-ness of Freddy makes him lose a bit of his sinister appeal. He was scary in the original and too comedic in the follow-ups. Though, for some reason I prefer him over Jason. Myers seems the scariest to me, but his series is the one I've seen the least of.

Suspect's Reviews

I don't know where I'd rank these guys in order of who I prefer or even which series I prefer. I think the chatty cathy-ness of Freddy makes him lose a bit of his sinister appeal. He was scary in the original and too comedic in the follow-ups. Though, for some reason I prefer him over Jason. Myers seems the scariest to me, but his series is the one I've seen the least of.
I've always thought Freddy talks too much, he's insanely egotistical. Even his mythos exists or dies depending on knowing who the **** he is. Not so with Jason. Jason is NO talk, ALL body count.

It was good to be alive when the fans faced off in the aftermath of Freddy vs Jason. In that online fight, mostly gone thanks to imdb going down, Jason fans destroyed the opposition in a much similar way as in the movies. Yet, everybody were friends,so it wasn't quite like nowadays, where the factions might "go full retard".

I am a Jason girl, but I love all 3. They're very different and together satify as a whole.

Another thing with the franchises is, that you can't really approach them like regular movies. You kind of...have to give yourself over to them. Just go with it. It not only enhances your experience, but you end up connecting with the entire thing. So you can HAVE opinions that feel rooted in earth about how even silent killers are. I don't know if it's the usual to have stuntmen play the silent killers, kind of makes sense to do that. I know it was the case with Kane Hodder anyway, but he was a great choice. Not the only great choice, but the best of them all, even though he's later Jason material. Sometimes you have to rate the two separately, which is particularly difficult when rating these films, as your favourite Jason/Michael may not be in your favourite film of the particular series. I really, really wish I could have the Friday the 13th films all unrated, uncut, all gore included. Really, really want that. I don't mind remakes, as long as they go all out and they haven't, yet. I feel these 3 are like the horror super heroes, and I don't hold it against any generation wanting to make it scary for them, even if it may not be scary for me, but all I ask is that they respect certain things. I feel the same way about the super hero films because I read comic books.

Ugh, babbling when I should be writing about Jason X, and then Freddy vs Jason. Sorry about that. It's sort of all I feel like talking about and there's nowhere else.