One, Two, Three

→ in
Tools    

While fellow MoFo poster Linespalsy was visiting me this summer, he mentioned that he was very interested in seeing Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three, a cold war era comedy with James Cagney having a field day as the Coca Cola executive in West Berlin. As luck may have it, I have a taped copy of that film - I saw it as a 12 year old and massively enjoyed it, then caught a rerun on a Belgian channel - so we saw it together and it was a blast for both of us...come to think of it, I might watch it yet again myself.

Did anyone else see this comedic masterpiece ? Cagney is a real powerhouse in his role, but everyone in the cast shines - Horst Bucholz as the ideology-driven young communist, Pamela Tiffin as the not-so-bright southern beauty, Arlene Francis as Cagney's wisecracking wife, Lilo Pulver as the seductive secretary Ingeborg, and the legendary trio of Soviet executives...out of ton of great quotes which this film can offer, some personal favourites are (as written from what I recall, might not be 100% exact, but the context is there) :

McNamara (Cagney) : ...take this clock, the work of the dwarves from the black forest.
Otto (Bucholz) : So now you're exploiting dwarves !

McNamara (incensed) : You were shouting "Yankees go home" on a parade ?!?
Scarlet (Tiffin) : But that's what we always do down south !

Otto: I will not have my son grow up to be a capitalist.
Scarlet: When he's 18 he can make his mind up whether he wants to be a capitalist or a rich communist.

Yes, One, Two, Three is my very favorite Billy Wilder flick, bar none. Hysterically brilliant and sadly underseen.

Clicky HERE and HERE.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Noticed the bit near the end in which the American MP pulls a James Cagney act on James Cagney ?

Yeah, the lead MP is comic character actor Red Buttons (The Poseidon Adventure, The Longest Day) in a cameo.

Cagney also does a quick Edward G. Robinson impression (aping his famous "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?" line from Little Caeser) earlier in the film.

Lots of fun little moments like that crammed into this wonderful Cold War Screwball Comedy.

yeah this one was a real gem. damn i wanna see it again too now. wilder's schemes are a hoot. witty bickering between a cocky american corporate scumbag and a leftist european tool are always a plus. more comedies should have idiotically witty dialogue like this built in so well. barcelona comes to mind but they're few and far between.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A couple of my thoughts about this awesome film. Watch it - NOW!
One, Two, Three (Billy Wilder, 1961)
(mafo MoFo Top 100 Film)

Machine-gun-paced Cold War comedy covers just about everything one could think of, not just what was happening in the divided city of Berlin at the time. James Cagney is a marvel as a Coca-Cola executive who has to "babysit" his boss's teenage daughter (Pamela Tiffin) and gets several headaches when she marries a young "Bolshevik" (Horst Buchholz) from East Berlin. The young woman's family is also on the way to Berlin to pick up their daughter, so Cagney has little time to straighten things out. There is also the usual high quota of sex jokes from scripters I.A.L. Diamond and Billy Wilder and a smart musical score which incorporates Khatchaturyan's "Sabre Dance". It's almost impossible to describe how fast the dialogue flies by as everyone speaks as quickly as possible and the plot twists come at such a frantic pace. Don't expect to go to the kitchen or the bathroom with the movie playing because you'll miss about 20 visual or verbal jokes a minute. Of course, the better-versed you are in the world history and popular culture of 1961, the more fun you'll have watching this terrific comedy, but it's also a great way to learn some of those things in between all the laughs.
One, Two, Three (Billy Wilder, 1961)
+ - Wilder and co-scripter I.A.L. Diamond fashioned one of the fastest, funniest comedies ever, based on a European play, but situated here in the divided city of Berlin during the height of the Cold War. There are as many jokes here about sex and movies as there are about politics, and James Cagney is a marvel playing a Coca-Cola executive who's forced to "babysit" his boss's daughter (Pamela Tiffin), even after she gets pregnant by a beatnik communist (Horst Buchholz). A laugh riot.