The last time a film made you jump?

Tools    

The Witch actually made me jump – a bit – with one particular moment:

WARNING: spoilers below
A very well set-up shock as, in the middle of a grisly though seemingly quiet scene, Black Phillip's horns slam into William's ribs.
I was going to post exactly the same thing. Excellent scene in an excellent movie.

I think the new movie Lights Out made me flinch once.
For the first 2/3rds of Lights Out I found it to be an entertaining but not extraordinary horror film. Then that finale came and suddenly I realized what the hype was about. Such a great final sequence, especially everything with the boyfriend. The use of light was brilliant.

For me:

There is this film called The Eclipse is Ciaran Hinds, wasn't a huge fan of it, but I remember watching it with my grandma and mom. It's a quiet film, and I wont spoil it, but one scene involving a closet took me off guard and made me leap from the couch and without thinking scream 'HOLY ****', truly one of the most effective 'jolts' in cinema history.

Also, the lawnmower scene in Sinister.

The aforementioned scene in The Witch.

And the single jolt in UNDER THE SKIN that takes place under water. That film is so quiet and seeing it in theaters, that moment took me off guard and shook me to my core.

Also The Ring "I saw her... face"
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

There is this film called The Eclipse is Ciaran Hinds
Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I like all of those actors very much – I'll try and avoid spoilers and get it asap .

You've reminded me of The Ring:

The scene with the victim's body in the cupboard really shook me up – fantastic make-up design for the victims and a nice touch to have the head drop sickeningly forward.

And the single jolt in UNDER THE SKIN
I know the one – good example; it is a shock. And to think I watched that film on Christmas Day . She's great in that, Scarlett Johansson.

YES i forgot about Sinister,that actually scared me! thought the ending ruined it for me but dang those videos were creepy as hell

YES i forgot about Sinister,that actually scared me! thought the ending ruined it for me but dang those videos were creepy as hell
Same.

Shame about that ending, but Sinister does have something proper to offer for the horror genre.

Sinister is amazing. It's in my Top 10 actually... the ending is awesome tho.

Paranormal Activity made me jump a few times.

There is this film called The Eclipse is Ciaran Hinds,
Thanks again for mentioning this film – I watched it tonight and really enjoyed it.

Given your original post I became a closet-watcher for most of the film , and the bit you refer to certainly does pack a punch. The shock that I didn't expect was Jim Norton's 'rotting' proto-ghost appearing in the car, and the hissing noise he makes certainly makes it extra horrific. As a Father Ted fan I was pleased to see his name on the cast list along with the other three actors, all of whom I like very much. It's really Ciarán Hinds' film I think; he was outstanding.

It was very interesting for me that Aidan Quinn was involved as a few months back I saw him in the 1995 film Haunted, which also involves spiritualism, and is excellent. I had quite recently read Arthur Conan Doyle's story The Land of Mist, which I found very moving, particularly knowing Doyle's personal circumstances, and that film tied into those emotions as well.

I would also say that if anyone liked The Eclipse they should have a look at The Daisy Chain.

I've just remembered a really good one in The Exorcism of Emily Rose:

Where the boyfriend wakes up, looks over the side of the bed and sees Emily. I'm sure we've all been there .

The Shallows

It may be yet another 'Jaws' so called rip off and amidst a sea of shark attack tongue in cheek films, but there is much tension built around a simple premise. Given the fact it is also built around one location, the scares are even harder to pull off, but this film manages to do that without over endulging in a scare every two minutes formula. Quite effective little thriller.

I read about the shallows and was excited to see it but then i saw the trailer and realised that id probably just seen the whole film...

I would probably agree, I personally don't watch trailers as they now simply seem to give away film in one and half minutes, If i can see a poster for the upcoming film I like to go with that, if it draws me in I would tend to go with it.