Watchmen

Tools    

Who watches the Watchbear?
Nice, Pig! I'm sure it'll be everywhere by tonight. Empire apparently wasn't supposed to release it until tomorrow at 5am or somesuch, which is why they took it down... or something.

Either way, it looks AMAZING.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Looks awesome, here's hoping it's as good as 300 visually,and that the scripts good also.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

In the Beginning...
Thoughts on the Watchmen trailer:

PROS
  • With a few significant exceptions, the film looks dangerously faithful to the book, at least in terms of shots. Not that I particularly thought they would cut out Doc Manhattan leveling Vietnam 'Stay Puft'-style, or the glass palace rising into being from Martian sand... but wow, it's jarring to finally see them realized.

• High production value. That's to be expected, but it would have been pretty easy to cut corners with Watchmen, considering the general movie-going population at large wouldn't know the difference. I'm happy to see background bits of "Watchmen" detail. Anybody who has read the book knows that even though the artwork is pretty straightforward, it's got a subtle, unique style all its own... and I'm seeing it here.
  • Rorschach. This performance is going to own, plain and simple. That's the nature of the character, and they've got a formidable actor doing the duty. The voice, the look, the psyche... all completely intact. I'm scared at how awesome he's going to be.

CONS
  • Assuming the musical track and slo-mo distorted sound effects are indicative of the film as a whole (much like 300 before it), I'm not impressed. I don't think Watchmen should get the same treatment, nor do I think such a treatment is even appropriate to it. Snyder and crew have rightly set the story in 1986, but the music and "high-tech" flavor of the trailer doesn't lend itself to the setting. So we'll see.
  • Silk Spectre II. Yeah, let's sacrifice the integrity of the original character so that we can have at least one female dripping wet with sex appeal, tight stripper clothes, and stiletto heels. Let's even see her walking around looking like she could take somebody apart with her pinkies. Christ, did nobody at the studio even read the book?! We don't need a bombshell badass heroine in every superhero flick, and especially not in this one. We're living in the age of Internet where smut is free, everywhere, and immediately accessible. Is this trainwreck of a character really going to sell that many more tickets?
  • Doc Manhattan. This isn't a con, per se; it's merely a concern. I haven't quite decided whether or not I like his supercharged CG look; and while he looks awesome blowing up, multiplying, and torching VC in the trailer, how is his dynamic appearance going to translate when he's just standing there talking like a normal person? Will it be a distraction? Will it be brilliant? I don't know. Either way, it's better than blue body makeup and contact lenses, and there's a capable actor in Billy Crudup at the helm. So I'm skeptical, but not overly.

Two major questions are running through my mind right now, though:

1. What will the running time be?
2. What will it be rated?

Hurm.

Welcome to the human race...
^ What he said.

Another question I'm asking myself is why there's a distinct lack of the bloodied smiley face that is virtually synonymous with Watchmen.

The trailer also implies that Night Owl has a certain "dynamic element" to him that was not immediately apparent in the graphic novel. Will this be a case of changing a character that was originally not an action-packed hero into one, such as with The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? The film will tell. However, the trailer does its job of attracting attention to the film...a three-hour film.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I think Doc Manhattan looks amazing.

For the record, it will be rated R. Snyder confirmed it.

But when you read the graphic novel....is there any real way around it?

Suspect's Reviews

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Iroquois
Another question I'm asking myself is why there's a distinct lack of the bloodied smiley face that is virtually synonymous with Watchmen.
It's nice and big on the official trailer page linked from Apple.com, at least. I'm sure it'll be a prominent image in the film.

For the record, it will be rated R. Snyder confirmed it.

But when you read the graphic novel....is there any real way around it?
Yeah, that's what concerned me. Really, they could work around most of it and still get a PG-13 (minus the nudity). Even this scene...

WARNING: "Watchmen" spoilers below
the big bloodbath at the rock concert following Viedt's faux alien arrival

...could be substantially watered down. I mean, superhero films generally get a PG-13, and I was afraid the status quo would apply here simply by default. Good to hear that's not the case. Snyder, at least, isn't afraid of a little bloodshed.

This looks balls to the walls.

While I was disappointed Jeffrey Combs wasn't chosen for the Rorschach role, dude doing it looks smack.

And the trailer was so good it knocked my verbosity for a spell.

I have no idea what Watchmen is about and I didn't even know it existed in the world until yesterday. I saw the preview last night before The Dark Knight and all I've got to say is it looks like crap. The ghostly muscular naked men just made me roll my eyes. But, there I was, sitting between two men, one a total stranger, who were both going ga ga over it. The stranger almost got his tongue ripped out - WOULD NOT STOP laughing during The Dark Knight! It was non-stop!

I loved 300 though -- Now that was a piece of record-breaking cinema. Watchmen looks like it has a dull cinematic style in my opinion, so I might not go see it in theaters. It depends on what the reviews say.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Multiple reasons to be honest.

For one it's based on a gaphic novel that, although has been acclaimed almost by everyone, isn't well known like Batman, Superman or Spiderman.

It's very adult, dealing with rape and violence, among other things. So it will be a Superhero movie that will be rated R.

The graphic novel is JAM PACKED withso much stuff, so much stuff that a 2 and a half hour movie cannot include everything and stuff that is left out could really hurt the film.

Every other Alan Moore adaptation has been mostly negative (with exception from V For Vendetta)

Not an big name cast, and it may be too werid for many people. SC mentioned how he rolled her eyes at Doc Manhattan.

Many peope have tried to get this film off the ground....to no avail.

In the Beginning...
I have no idea what Watchmen is about and I didn't even know it existed in the world until yesterday. I saw the preview last night before The Dark Knight and all I've got to say is it looks like crap. The ghostly muscular naked men just made me roll my eyes.
I was wondering what people who aren't familiar with Watchmen would think of the trailer. Admittedly, it doesn't tell you anything about the plot at all. I think that's probably a misstep; but then again, it's only a teaser.

Either way, I'd go out on a limb and say that if you were familiar with the book, you'd be going gah-gah too. It's that good. Like, a genuine literary achievement good. I don't view it as a comic book, honestly. It's far deeper and multi-layered than any comic book on the shelves because it evaluates the various psychosocial states of humanity (or inhumanity, in the case of Doc Manhattan); as well as major sociopolitical issues such as the Vietnam War, nuclear testing, vigilantism, and the quest for utopia in the most creatively intelligent and philosophical ways.

Suffice it to say, if Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach's entire background stories are illustrated in the film, people are going to have to take the film seriously. They are so well written, it hurts.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Sounds pretty good ill definatly give it go