Best Christian-themed movies?

Tools    

Which is the best movie with Christian themes?
7.69%
2 votes
Chariots of Fire
11.54%
3 votes
Prince of Egypt
34.62%
9 votes
Ben-Hur (1959)
30.77%
8 votes
It's a Wonderful Life
3.85%
1 votes
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
11.54%
3 votes
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
0%
0 votes
The Mission
23.08%
6 votes
The Ten Commandments
30.77%
8 votes
The Passion of the Christ
0%
0 votes
Amazing Grace
19.23%
5 votes
The Last Temptation of Christ
7.69%
2 votes
A Man for All Seasons
26 votes. You may not vote on this poll

@Captain Steel

The God of the New Testament is the same God as for the Old Testament. What part of this are you not comprehending?
The so-called Christian "themes" in The Ten Commandments. What are the specifically Christian themes in the movie? I see the Jewish themes - same ones as in the book of Exodus, but what are the Christian themes (not the Jewish / OT themes that Christianity also accepts, but the themes that are unique to Christianity)?

I'm not misunderstanding the general religious tenet of your first sentence as embraced by Christians, nor the fact that Christianity grew out of Judaism, nor the fact that Christians believe they worship the same God as Moses did, nor the fact that Jesus was Jewish himself - I am ONLY stating the fact that The Ten Commandments is not a Christian-themed movie because there are no themes uniquely Christian in it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's like politics. When a believer and a non-believer try to discuss a subject, there's often no open line of communication. Shut up, mark.

It's like politics. When a believer and a non-believer try to discuss a subject, there's often no open line of communication. Shut up, mark.
I think Mesmerized is arguing from a Christo-centric religious point of view, while I'm basically arguing semantics.

The so-called Christian "themes" in The Ten Commandments. What are the specifically Christian themes in the movie? I see the Jewish themes - same ones as in the book of Exodus, but what are the Christian themes (not the Jewish / OT themes that Christianity also accepts, but the themes that are unique to Christianity)?

I'm not misunderstanding the general religious tenet of your first sentence as embraced by Christians, nor the fact that Christianity grew out of Judaism, nor the fact that Christians believe they worship the same God as Moses did, nor the fact that Jesus was Jewish himself - I am ONLY stating the fact that The Ten Commandments is not a Christian-themed movie because there are no themes uniquely Christian in it.

The thread is titled "Best Christian-themed movies". Would that not imply that it should be taken from the point of view of a Christian? Thus, while you don't find the Ten Commandments particularly important to the Christian faith, Christians include all of the Old Testament as part of The Bible and their History and they deem to be inclusive of it.

(On a side note: there are many, many arguments to be made that Moses was a prelude to Jesus; a man who turned away from a Kingdom that was offered unto him, who went into the desert, who spoke directly with God, who came back, preformed miracles, delivered his people out of bondage and freed them from slavery by taking them through water (baptism). There is so much of the New Testament in the Old one.)

كُنْ فَيَكُونُ
As a non-christian that likes the Bible, I can't say I have.

Most "Christian-movies" I've seen are either:

- Over-dramatized and romanticized versions of Bible stories (often with added elements) that completely botch the story
- Christian propaganda movies that are uncritical, completely biased, illogical and poorly acted/directed

The subject matter deserves more, IF it is to be approached in the cinema.

But personally, I believe that religion should generally stay the personal thing it is, rather than become market-ised (sadly you can't stop this in some areas)

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
As a non-christian that likes the Bible, I can't say I have.

Most "Christian-movies" I've seen are either:

- Over-dramatized and romanticized versions of Bible stories (often with added elements) that completely botch the story
- Christian propaganda movies that are uncritical, completely biased, illogical and poorly acted/directed

The subject matter deserves more, IF it is to be approached in the cinema.

But personally, I believe that religion should generally stay the personal thing it is, rather than become market-ised (sadly you can't stop this in some areas)
As a Christian who likes the Bible, I agree.

I've never understood why God's Not Dead was so popular. The acting was mostly OK but "uncritical, biased, and illogical" seems about right.

Just curious, what was your favorite movie on the poll list?

The thread is titled "Best Christian-themed movies". Would that not imply that it should be taken from the point of view of a Christian? Thus, while you don't find the Ten Commandments particularly important to the Christian faith, Christians include all of the Old Testament as part of The Bible and their History and they deem to be inclusive of it.

(On a side note: there are many, many arguments to be made that Moses was a prelude to Jesus; a man who turned away from a Kingdom that was offered unto him, who went into the desert, who spoke directly with God, who came back, preformed miracles, delivered his people out of bondage and freed them from slavery by taking them through water (baptism). There is so much of the New Testament in the Old one.)
I understand that the whole of the OT is part of the Christian religion. I'm just hung up on the term "Christian-themed." To me that means something that is particularly Christian: having to do specifically with Jesus, his teachings, the New Testament and the formation of Christianity. (As opposed to the already established, Judaic themes, especially those that don't contain Messianic prophecy like the story of Moses, that Christianity adopted from Judaism.)

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I am ONLY stating the fact that The Ten Commandments is not a Christian-themed movie because there are no themes uniquely Christian in it.
Your opinion is not a fact. And since you reject Prophecy we have nothing more to discuss on this issue.

Your opinion is not a fact. And since you reject Prophecy we have nothing more to discuss on this issue.
And your argument is easily proved - just list a couple of the "Christian themes" illustrated in the movie. Show one that is expressly Christian (as opposed to being Judaic, but accepted part & parcel by Christianity just because it's in the OT).

I don't reject prophecy. I've repeatedly acknowledged that it is present in the OT. I've only said that there is no messianic prophecy in the story of the Ten Commandments (while it is present in some other OT stories).

Let's say someone made a movie about one of the OT prophets who predicted a Messiah coming from out of the chosen people - well, we could say the concept of a Messiah coming from the Jews is indeed a Christian theme (as Christians believe Jesus himself was the prophesied Messiah). Now, Jews, of course, might argue, "yes, we predict a Messiah, but we don't believe Jesus was the one - therefore there is no Christian theme specifically in this story as it's a matter of perspective regarding the Messiah's true identity."

I would argue the theme of a messiah is close enough to Christian belief to say it's a Christian theme.

Unfortunately, the prophesied Messiah coming from the Jews is not present in the story of the Ten Commandments (to the best of my knowledge). If someone can show me that the prophecy is clearly contained in the story, I'll gladly concede!

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Some enjoyable ones not already mentioned:

Courageous
Fireproof
Persuasion
What If
These are mostly enjoyable but I don't think they are among the best.

I wonder how many don't consider this Christian Based considering Anne Rice wrote the novel and is a born-again Christian

I wonder how many don't consider this Christian Based considering Anne Rice wrote the novel and is a born-again Christian

Don't know why (or how) anyone would NOT consider it Christian Based (or Christian-themed) since it's an account of Jesus in his younger years.
Some might argue that it's not Bible-based in a literal sense as it contains an accounting of Jesus missing years as a child. They're mostly missing years because in the Bible there's only stories of his conception & birth, then one story when he is a child preaching in a temple at the age of 12, and then most of his story picks up when he's about 30-years-old until his death at 33 and subsequent resurrection.

The movie is definitely Christian Based and Christian-themed as it is about Jesus Christ himself and (if I remember correctly) is told from the POV that he is the Messiah as he teaches, preaches and performs miracles. I saw the movie but didn't know it was written by Anne Rice!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Does he have fangs? Jesus always struck me as asexual. No such thing as an asexual vampire I'm afraid.

Don't know why (or how) anyone would NOT consider it Christian Based (or Christian-themed) since it's an account of Jesus in his younger years.
Some might argue that it's not Bible-based in a literal sense as it contains an accounting of Jesus missing years as a child. They're mostly missing years because in the Bible there's only stories of his conception & birth, then one story when he is a child preaching in a temple at the age of 12, and then most of his story picks up when he's about 30-years-old until his death at 33 and subsequent resurrection.

The movie is definitely Christian Based and Christian-themed as it is about Jesus Christ himself and (if I remember correctly) is told from the POV that he is the Messiah as he teaches, preaches and performs miracles. I saw the movie but didn't know it was written by Anne Rice!
Have you seen it? its way off the norm of him being the son of God...

I enjoyed it.... even though Im not Christian... its a historically based film.. may not be accurate but hey its a period piece...

Does he have fangs? Jesus always struck me as asexual. No such thing as an asexual vampire I'm afraid.
It does make me think how there are some strange similarities between Jesus' story and vampires!
Jesus is impaled with spikes (granted, these don't kill him and they're not through the heart, but they are part of his "death") while vampires are killed with spikes or stakes. Jesus brings people back from the dead while vampires bring their killed victims back from death as vampires. Jesus is resurrected and vampires return to life from death. Then, of course there's the whole blood drinking thing!

It does make me think how there are some strange similarities between Jesus' story and vampires!
Jesus is impaled with spikes (granted, these don't kill him and they're not through the heart, but they are part of his "death") while vampires are killed with spikes or stakes. Jesus brings people back from the dead while vampires bring their killed victims back from death as vampires. Jesus is resurrected and vampires return to life from death. Then, of course there's the whole blood drinking thing!
After Jesus was nailed to the cross, his chest was speared but it seems more like his liver or spleen..

I dont take him for a vampire.. but perhaps this is an Anne Rice joke.. and she just didnt write about vampires.. she had erotic novels too.. as well as one about witches...