Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Busted that one out again.

I've become quite fascinated with the lost Victorian tradition of Christmas ghost stories. I didn't realize that with this story, Dickens was attempting to restore the tradition, though he often gets credit for starting it.

Solid film

Garden of Words (2013) aka Kotonoha no Niwa

finally have chance to finish it. It got bit more engaging by story and the two main characters(one was voiced by beloved kana hanazawa), compared to shinkai previous work(debut), the terrible and boring byousoku 5 cm. there feel of improvements as the gorgeous animation and detail background art not feel so wasted.
But still in overall it's not enough to give me an adequate cup of tea.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Kickboxer: Vengeance (2016)
-

Every time I think about the fact that I watched this movie, I can't wipe the smile off my face. One star for Van Damme, while Bautista, Carano and St-Pierre will have to share the second star. Maybe next time, they can all end up in a better movie?

Taxi Driver (1976) dir. Martin Scorsese

In a nutshell, I think it's a very good but somewhat overrated film. Every time I watch it, I'm left in two minds about it. On one hand, I admire certain aspects of it, like cinematography (the film looks great on Blu-ray), acting (De Niro and the young Jodie Foster are great), and all those iconic, memorable images and scenes that will be forever ingrained in my brain.
On the other hand, I strongly dislike the ending, which I think is a total mess (in a frustrating way), and the cheesy soundtrack, and the plot just isn't unfolding in a convincing or effective enough way. The ending always leaves me scratching my head - it rings false and doesn't seem logical to me.
I feel Betsy's "walking contradiction" quote best describes how I feel about this film. To me, it's a flawed masterpiece, which I still like, warts and all.

Kanashimi no Belladona (1973)

Well, quite enjoy some psychadelic moments, but overall like other artsy gutsy - avant garde stuff I can't come with some legit thought regard it. I won't rating it atm.

The Eyes of My Mother -

I liked this quite a bit, there was some stuff i didn't like but i thought it was well acted, pretty creepy and looked amazing. There's spoilers here so don't read further if you haven't seen it of course.

The guy who played the killer was amazing as a creepy psycho before what happens to him and there was something incredibly unnerving about the fact that he was so much of a deranged maniac and somehow the people he attacks are even more messed up than him, i mean when it is made clear that the girl is doing this out of loneliness rather than revenge somehow creeped me out more than what he did/how he was acting. The scene she kills him was pretty great and again extremely unnerving since it was clearly thought of as a mercy kill on her part when this was the man who brutally murdered her mother, loved watching him trying to escape across the field and we are sitting watching her slowly catching up on him through the window. The stuff with the baby was completely messed up and again it was even moreso because there wasn't ever a moment i thought she was going to harm the baby, that's of course a good thing but it somehow makes it more unsettling that this was because she wanted to care for it. The stuff with the woman was definitely interesting coz up to that point Francisca was sympathetic; all of her actions while messed up were understandable but they suddenly turned it to an innocent woman which really transformed her character. Her actions were still understandable in a twisted way but this was something else entirely that stopped me from sympathizing with her. Great last scene, loved the music and how quick it was.

Great atmosphere and cinematogaraphy. The film looked completely amazing. It was great in black and white but in all honesty unlike say The Witch i don't think it had to be, not that i would've preferred it in colour just saying i wouldn't have minded either way. Excellent pacing, it's only 70 minutes long so everything moves along pretty quicly but lingers long enough for you to take everything in. Usually with movies of this length that i like alot i'd prefer them to be a bit longer but i think this was the perfect length.

So yeah i liked this quite a bit. It's not going to become a favourite of mine like Swan but i get why he liked it so much and i'm glad i watched it.
I saw an article a few days ago where they showed some behind the scenes photos, all in color. Looked stunning.

lol @ long haired Pesce.

Also, flying camera robot!

With all this shiny new technology available to filmmakers, the possibilities are becoming endless.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Manchester by the Sea

Quiet, assured, and perhaps too subtle to take in after just one viewing, Manchester by the Sea shows a maturity and restraint not often found in modern cinema. Affleck's performance is not one of theatrics or yelling; it's one of subtleties and nuances. This is a film dedicated to the every-man. The man who bottles up emotions instead of letting it out. The film is quite funny--really funny, actually--and these moments of humor don't feel misplaced.

This is a great film, that's for sure.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Collateral Beauty - I just have to tell people what this film is about. It's bad....really bad, but I will wrap it in spoilers regardless.

What the trailer will have you think this movie is about:

Will Smith's child dies and he decides to deal with his grief by writing to Death, Love and Time. Things get weird when Love, Death and Time become personified and have conversations with him. All in the effort to help him move on.

What the film actually is...

WARNING: "Collateral Beauty" spoilers below

Will Smith's child dies and he decides to deal with his grief by writing letters to Love, Death and Time. His co-workers decide to hire three actors to portray love death and time. These actors approach him on the street and the co-workers hire a PI to record these encounters. The co-workers then digitally remove the actors from the video so that they can make Will Smith look CRAZY because they are afraid they will lose their jobs since Will Smith is so sad his kid died.

Offensively bad.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
I like how everything I hear about Collateral Beauty makes it sound so impossibly misguided.

Three On A Meathook (1973)

-

The problem is not the low budget because there's a lot of great 70's horrors like that. The problem is that there's only a couple scenes of murder and mayhem. When that's the biggest selling point of the movie, that's not good enough.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Invitation

(Karyn Kusama)

What would you do when your friends invite you over to their house and things start to get really weird, almost uncomfortably unsafe weird. You get the hell out right? Despite the one characters constant questioning of events that take place here, he doesn't seem interested in leaving the party. If he does, we don't have a film anymore. So putting aside logic and accepting that only one person decides to leave this party, is The Invitation thrilling enough to warrant a recommended watch?

Will takes his new girlfriend to his ex-wife's house for a dinner party. All their friends are there, friends they haven't seen in awhile. Things between Will and his ex-wife is a little strained due to an emotional loss in their past, but everyone decides to look past it in order to have a good time. Throughout the night, Will suspects that his ex-wife and her new husband have other motives for brining everyone together.

Are there other motives? Or is Will just crazy? The film lets the questionable actions of the hosts walk a fine line to make you lean either way. The hosts invite another guest that their friends do not know. This is someone they met in a grief group known as The Invitation. This guy seems a little off, but is pleasant enough on the outside to not really question anything. It's not until he gives a speech about his wife do people really feel uncomfortable and question if they should stay. The Invitation does a decent job of keeping an awkward level of suspense within the house, even if you are questioning character actions.

A key element to this film is the opening sequence when Will and his new girlfriend hit a coyote with their car on their way to the party. The coyote is injured and it's up to Will to put the creature out of its misery. That act is the core theme to the entire film. The film asks us these questions throughout.

The film's third act kicks things into high gear and the subtly of the suspense in thrown out the window for a more in your face approach. The entire film builds to this confrontation and it works for the most part. I can't help by feel that the one and only memorable things about this film though is the final shot. Which is a great shot that almost feels Hitchcockian. This single location thriller is effective enough for fans of the genre to enjoy and people looking for a good thriller won't mind it either.

Suicide Squad 8/10. I like their villains.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Collateral Beauty - I just have to tell people what this film is about. It's bad....really bad, but I will wrap it in spoilers regardless.

What the trailer will have you think this movie is about:

Will Smith's child dies and he decides to deal with his grief by writing to Death, Love and Time. Things get weird when Love, Death and Time become personified and have conversations with him. All in the effort to help him move on.

What the film actually is...

WARNING: "Collateral Beauty" spoilers below

Will Smith's child dies and he decides to deal with his grief by writing letters to Love, Death and Time. His co-workers decide to hire three actors to portray love death and time. These actors approach him on the street and the co-workers hire a PI to record these encounters. The co-workers then digitally remove the actors from the video so that they can make Will Smith look CRAZY because they are afraid they will lose their jobs since Will Smith is so sad his kid died.

Offensively bad.
Can't wait to hear Jada's rant for this one.

Go back to action movies Will.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Stroszek

(dir. Herzog, 1977)

There are not enough superlatives in the English language (or any language, for that matter) to describe how brilliant Herzog is. He's crafted some of the most compelling characters in cinema history--Aguirre, Cobra Verde, Kaspar Hauser. I honestly get the sense that he sincerely cares for his characters, and that empathetic view is all but evident in Stroszek. The titular character is an odd, odd little man; yet I never once get the sense that Herzog is mocking the poor fellow. This is a film that's often times sad, sometimes very funny, and it's unlike anything else out there.

I should probably bump the rating up to
, just because of that dancing chicken. Just saying.