Music in Film: Favorite scores, songs, soundtracks, and scenes

Tools    

Is it safe to say Kubrick is your favorite director now?
I think so. I'm still a bit torn between Kubrick and Tarantino though.

Definitely seems more talented, I think he probably is my favorite but Tarantino comes close in my preference.

Kubrick is better.
not even close ... Kubrick is in my opinion de best director of all time a perfect master of the cinema

it's not a soundtrack but in my opinion this is one of the best tribute to a movie of all time ... Avenged Sevenfold rocks and the video is a tribute to Fear And Loathing in Vegas .

I think there's many films with great music but much fewer films with great image/music synergy, unfortunately, for me, it's hard to find particular scenes that represent the second category in youtube vids.

I very much enjoy Bernard Hermann's work for Hitchcock - Vertigo OST

Edvard Artemiev for Tarkovsky - Solaris OST (not necessarilly great image/music synergy here, but the music is hauntingly beautiful)

Toru Takemitsu work for Kurosawa - Ran OST

David Lynch work in his own film Eraserhead

and so on...

All great directors have a great sense of music in their films:

I would definitely agree with this...with a special shout out to Scorcese, Tarantino, and Woody Allen...Allen especially has absolutely flawless musical taste.

Kubrick is definitely something else when it comes to music. Tarantino is great too obviously. I think Danny Boyle also has a cool music taste. Trainspotting and 28 Days Later I thought had some good soundtracks that I really liked.

and Woody Allen...Allen especially has absolutely flawless musical taste.
But the music is so similar in all of his films. Although it's enjoyable I find it to be repetitive.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
One of my favourite single pieces of score music is Alan Silvestri's main theme from Cast Away. Just in general I think it's one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard; the perfect mix of haunting beauty and aching melancholy. It both breaks your heart but gives you a ray of hope. However what really adds to its power is how sparsely music is used throughout the film. In fact for the entire time spent on the island there is not a single piece of music whatsoever. It's only when he manages to escape and looks back at the island that we get our first notes in well over an hour. Having been deprived of music for so long it really does resonate to an incredible level. In fact I don't even need to watch the film, just hearing the music by itself is enough to get me going.

Its most powerful use for me is definitely the iconic scene where he loses Wilson.

I love several of John Carpenter's electro/synthesiser scores with my favourite perhaps being Assault on Precinct 13

Soundtrack to the Finnish films "Sauna" and "Tummien perhosten koti".
Soundtrack to "Gladiator", "The Mission", "Kingdom of Heaven" to name a few American films

Panu Aaltio is a GREAT Finnish Composer.. I love his music.

edit.. Im adding 2 more

Soundtrack to "Seven Years in Tibet"..

Soundtrack to "Red Cliff", a GREAT Chinese Historical War film.

Oblivion and The Fountain both have amazing scores. Moon is another good one, actually most anything Clint Mansell puts out is decent.

1. Sergio Leone's dollars trilogy (Ennio Morricone)
2. The Graduate (Simon & Garfunkel)
3. Harold and Maude (Cat Stevens)
4. The Royal Tenenbaums/Rushmore

Two favorite directors come to mind. There are others, they're just not in my head right now
1 - Wes Anderson Moonrise Kingdom, Bottle Rocket, Rushmore
2 - Gus Van Sant - Restless, Paranoid Park, Elephant

Ten pages in and not one person has mentioned Lalo Schifrin? His scores are incredible. My favourite film composer alongside Morricone.

█ █ █ █ █
My favorites are (in no order):

Twin Peaks (everything Badalamenti did for the series, movies, etc)

Taxi Driver

Blade Runner

-

(since i'm new here, i can't post videos yet, sorry)