What was the last DVD you bought and why?

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I give ones I know I probably will not sell to charity shops or any friends who want the film.
Same here, usually, and charity shops need our stuff more than ever apparently. The emergence of those 'We'll buy your old clothes and bric-a-brac' places is causing a lot of the traditional charity shops to close down.

Aaaanyway.

PT - Most of my movies live out of sight now so I'm not as precious about boxes as I used to be. One slight snag I noticed is that a good 30% of my DVDs don't have the actual title on the disc so sorting them wasn't as easy as I figured.

Arty gits!

I don't buy DVD's, but my dad bought Patton, his favorite movie, because he couldn't find a good copy anywhere else.

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Wait, is B&N having a buy 2 get 1 free special on Criterion right now?

I think today's the last day of it, but it's buy 2 get 1 free of all DVDs. Including Criterions. I believe the 50% off all Criterions is in November, just a heads up.

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to miss it then if it ends today. I just know they've done that special exclusively on Criterions before, and there have been some Criterions I've been wanting to buy.

Really? That's awesome. I got to go check out and see how much I'm going to need.

I might take advantage, their website ships to Britain and with the postage some I would like work out slightly cheaper than ordering them off Amazon(plus postage) where I usually get them from. So might think about that. Naked is one I would particulary like on blu ray and I think they have that on the website. I mean, slightly cheaper is better than nothing but do I wish I was on holiday in America right now lol!

Criterion sales start today at B&N...sadhappy day, here's what I got (so far?)

And just because it was $9, this as well

Nice haul of movies. If, and Repulsion are fantastic. Salo is probably the most brutal film I've ever seen, there's a great essay out there called "The Fearful Symmetry of Pier Paolo Pasolinni's Salo" that you should check out (if you haven't already).

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
A little catch up of what I've picked up over the last month or two. Just looking at them and wow I've been busy!!! My obsession has been a bit out of control of late

Films I bought because I've never seen them but fancied seeing them

Boogie Nights - £2
Cruel Intentions - £3
Transamerica - £1
What's Eating Gilbert Grape - £2
An Education - £3
The Red Shoes - £3
Bicycle Thieves - £3
The Treasure Hunter - £2
Starter for 10 - £2
Hope and Glory - £3

Films I've seen and like

I Love you Phillips Morris - £3
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - £3

Jack Lemmon purchases to feed my ever growing love for him!

The Odd Couple
Avanti
Fortune Cookie
Out to Sea

TV sets

Alfred Hitchcock Presents series 3
Doctor Who - E-Space Trilogy boxset

I also picked up 5 Billy Connolly DVDs all at £3 each. That now means I have every single stand-up and TV DVD ever released that features him

My biggest bargain however (less than £10) and latest arrival is this -

Was interested in getting Double Indemnity so checked its price online which was £4, or I could get this set with 8 other films for just £5/6 more. The set includes - The Killers, Double Indemnity, The Big Steal, Crossfire, Out of the Past, The Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key, This Gun for Hire, Murder My Sweet

I'd have just stuck with spending £4 on Double Indemnity, but there's plenty who'd disagree. However, you've played a blinder (pun intended) with your blind buys.

Invictus

Saw it for $9.49, so i picked it up. Haven't seen it before.

I'm sad to say I'm done with the sale until November

I HAVE AN ISSUE, the Shakespeare boxset's films have radically different spine numbers, where the hell do I put them?????